Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Drivers compatible with Longhorn?

Drivers compatible with Longhorn?

J.W. Anthony

Hi,

I apologize if this has been answered before, but does anyone know if the XP
x64 drivers will be compatible with the 64-bit version of Longhorn?

If so, I would feel a little bit more optimistic about hardware
manufacturers getting on the ball and developing 64-bit drivers for XP x64.

J.W.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Since there isn't even a beta of Longhorn yet, it's hard to know, isn't it?
However, one strongly suspects that the biggest part of the effort for any
driver writer is to get it over to 64-bit. After that, there may be changes
that need to be made for Longhorn (especially with video drivers, I suspect),
but the largest part of the job is getting them over to 64 bit. And keep in
mind that any released version of Longhorn is quite a long way out. OEMs
really can't afford to wait if we keep pushing them.

--
Charlie.

J.W. Anthony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this has been answered before, but does anyone know if
> the XP x64 drivers will be compatible with the 64-bit version of
> Longhorn?
> If so, I would feel a little bit more optimistic about hardware
> manufacturers getting on the ball and developing 64-bit drivers for
> XP x64.
> J.W.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Even if XP x64 64-bit drivers are compatible with beta 1 of Longhorn x64 you
can definitely expect changes in support of these drivers as the beta
progresses. So its safe to say don't depend on it and I guess thats why
Microsoft handed out builds of Longhorn at WinHEC to get hard engineers to
write new sets of drivers for the next version of Windows. The builds handed
out were both 32 and 64 bit.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"J.W. Anthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ub8Zz$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this has been answered before, but does anyone know if the
> XP x64 drivers will be compatible with the 64-bit version of Longhorn?
>
> If so, I would feel a little bit more optimistic about hardware
> manufacturers getting on the ball and developing 64-bit drivers for XP
> x64.
>
> J.W.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

"J.W. Anthony" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize if this has been answered before, but does anyone know if the XP
> x64 drivers will be compatible with the 64-bit version of Longhorn?
>
> If so, I would feel a little bit more optimistic about hardware
> manufacturers getting on the ball and developing 64-bit drivers for XP x64.
>
> J.W.

Besides a header change , which reflects a separate NTDDI for Longhorn :

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...E6/headers.doc

I suggest you look at pages 6 and 7 of

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/wdf/default.mspx
which probably is intended to motivate manufacturers to use WDF, for
downward compatibility to 5.0 (W2K) and also minimize IRQL issues etc...
It is not too clear whether the PreFast utility can run in x64 to "sniff"
drivers' coding directly there.