Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > upgrade XP Home to XP Pro x64

upgrade XP Home to XP Pro x64

Andrew Clancy

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this directly
(over my existing install) or would I need to format & reinstall from
scratch?
I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.

Cheers,
AndyC

Bruce Chambers

Andrew Clancy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this directly
> (over my existing install) or would I need to format & reinstall from
> scratch?

You'll need to perform a format and clean installation, unless you want
a dual-boot scenario. WinXPx64 is an OEM version, so it cannot perform
upgrades. (And even if it were a retail product, I seriously doubt that
there'd be any supported upgrade path from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS.
Look at the messes caused by upgrading the earlier 16-bit versions of
Windows to 32-bit versions. Probably not a mistake Microsoft would want
to repeat.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

John Barnes

You will need to do the full install. I personally suggest you dual boot
until you are sure the programs you need/want to use will work on x64, as
well as the driver situation for your hardware. I have lots of programs
which install but don't work or have functions missing and still need
drivers for hardware, with no indication as to when they will become
available. If you find everything is fine for you, you can then uninstall
and clean the x86 partition. Good luck.

"Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this
> directly (over my existing install) or would I need to format & reinstall
> from scratch?
> I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.
>
> Cheers,
> AndyC

Charlie Russel - MVP

Full, clean install. And that's true from any 32-bit version of Windows. If
you have any doubts about drivers, etc., you may want to use a dual boot
configuration initially. Especially since any BIOS updates generally need to
be installed from 32-bit Windows. The OEMs haven't caught up to the need for
BIOS updates from x64 yet.

--
Charlie.

Andrew Clancy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this
> directly (over my existing install) or would I need to format &
> reinstall from scratch?
> I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.
>
> Cheers,
> AndyC

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

There is not upgrade path from 32 bit Windows which would include XP Home
Edition. Its a clean install which means you have to boot off the XP CD-ROM
and do a clean install or create a new partition to install it on. Either
way, back up your data before attempting to do so. And remember to set your
BIOS to boot off your CD-Drive.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this
> directly (over my existing install) or would I need to format & reinstall
> from scratch?
> I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.
>
> Cheers,
> AndyC

Andrew Clancy

Cool - thanks for your help guys. Wil upgrade to XP Pro then try a dual
install on 2003 xp when I get some spare time (and split my drive as it came
as 1 partition)

Cheers,
AC

"Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this
> directly (over my existing install) or would I need to format & reinstall
> from scratch?
> I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.
>
> Cheers,
> AndyC

Andrew Clancy

oops 2003 x64 I meant
AC

"Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cool - thanks for your help guys. Wil upgrade to XP Pro then try a dual
> install on 2003 xp when I get some spare time (and split my drive as it
> came as 1 partition)
>
> Cheers,
> AC
>

> "Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this
>> directly (over my existing install) or would I need to format & reinstall
>> from scratch?
>> I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> AndyC

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, I should have said XP Pro x64 in my post.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> oops 2003 x64 I meant
> AC
>
> "Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
> news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Cool - thanks for your help guys. Wil upgrade to XP Pro then try a dual
>> install on 2003 xp when I get some spare time (and split my drive as it
>> came as 1 partition)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> AC
>>

>> "Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to upgrade my Window XP Home to XP Pro x64 - can I do this
>>> directly (over my existing install) or would I need to format &
>>> reinstall from scratch?
>>> I've noted that 2003 x64 needs a full resintall.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> AndyC

Andrew Clancy

Im going 2003 x64, as - why not? its gonna work the same as Pro, right, but
Server SQL & IIS will be a benefit - even for developing.
AC

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, I should have said XP Pro x64 in my post.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> oops 2003 x64 I meant
>> AC
>>
>> "Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
>> news:%23%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Cool - thanks for your help guys. Wil upgrade to XP Pro then try a dual
>>> install on 2003 xp when I get some spare time (and split my drive as it
>>> came as 1 partition)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> AC
>>>

>>> "Andrew Clancy" <newsATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

There is some issues with the Jet Database and XP Pro x64 but.
Also read this post by Justin Lovell about his experience with IIS on XP Pro
x64:
http://dotnet.org.za/justin/archive/.../01/19291.aspx