Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > installing on new sys

installing on new sys

=?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

i do not have 32 bit xp , and i'm trying to install 64 bit that i bought OEM.
do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i can get the "missing"
information. my computer never boots into the GUI section of the install,
only the text.

=?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

"redrider13" wrote:

> i do not have 32 bit xp , and i'm trying to install 64 bit that i bought OEM.
> do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i can get the "missing"
> information. my computer never boots into the GUI section of the install,
> only the text.

also, are there any step by step instructions for installing x64 on a clean
system with no OS on it?

Charlie Russel - MVP

You don't need to do anything different from any other fresh install. Insert
the CD, reboot your machine. When the installation mode starts, press F6 if
you need to add a driver for your hard disk, otherwise follow through the
steps.

You say you can't get to the GUI portion. Could you be more specific? What
are the symptoms?

--
Charlie.

redrider13 wrote:
> "redrider13" wrote:
>
>> i do not have 32 bit xp , and i'm trying to install 64 bit that i
>> bought OEM. do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i
>> can get the "missing" information. my computer never boots into the
>> GUI section of the install, only the text.

> also, are there any step by step instructions for installing x64 on a
> clean system with no OS on it?

John Barnes

Could you provide your system information so someone can help. Are you
trying to install on IDE or SATA. Did you use the F6 and install your SATA
drivers.
What does it reboot to. Back to the original TEXT install instructions or
something else.

"redrider13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "redrider13" wrote:
>
>> i do not have 32 bit xp , and i'm trying to install 64 bit that i bought
>> OEM.
>> do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i can get the
>> "missing"
>> information. my computer never boots into the GUI section of the install,
>> only the text.

> also, are there any step by step instructions for installing x64 on a
> clean
> system with no OS on it?

John Barnes

Incidentally I have one drive that has the same problem. NEVER have been
able to get it to install on that drive. For that matter after I installed
it on another drive and did a Ghost copy to the drive it still doesn't work.
Win Pro x86 works on the other partition on the drive. No one has been able
to help here and I am stuck with the extra drive on the system until I can
get it to work. Hope that is not your problem or you may need to install
another driver to install to. I would like to free up the SATA connector so
I can attach a SATA DVD writer.

"redrider13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "redrider13" wrote:
>
>> i do not have 32 bit xp , and i'm trying to install 64 bit that i bought
>> OEM.
>> do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i can get the
>> "missing"
>> information. my computer never boots into the GUI section of the install,
>> only the text.

> also, are there any step by step instructions for installing x64 on a
> clean
> system with no OS on it?

John Barnes

Incidentally, all of Hitachi tools for diagnosing specify x86 only, so maybe
it is a driver problem, maybe related to NCQ, hope someone knows.

"redrider13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "redrider13" wrote:
>
>> i do not have 32 bit xp , and i'm trying to install 64 bit that i bought
>> OEM.
>> do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i can get the
>> "missing"
>> information. my computer never boots into the GUI section of the install,
>> only the text.

> also, are there any step by step instructions for installing x64 on a
> clean
> system with no OS on it?

=?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

my system is:
AMD 3500+
1 gig corsair xms
ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
eVGA 6800 GT
2 Samsung spinpoint series (120 GB)

The GUI will not load and the text install will repeat itself, i think
because the HDD's arent being picked up by BIOS.

John Barnes

You can see the bios on the POST if you turn off the splash screen in the
bios. Mine shows up in the bios, Same motherboard as yours, I have 2 gig
Corsair and an MSI 6600GT. When I load to my Hitachi it does the same as
yours. When I load to my Samsung drive it reboots to GUI. Only thing I am
aware of is Hitachi seems to have some problems with the x64 system. I have
a Samsung 1213c 120 gig and a Samsung 1614c 160 gig drive. It installs fine
on them (I have the beta on one and OEM final on the other). Only
difference I have that I know of is that the Hitachi is SATA II and has NCQ.
One other point is you do not need to F6 drivers unless you are using RAID.
It caused me problems with the install when I did that, but I don't remember
what the problem was. The nForce4 chip has the SATA drivers built in.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> You can see the bios on the POST if you turn off the splash screen in the
> bios. Mine shows up in the bios, Same motherboard as yours, I have 2 gig
> Corsair and an MSI 6600GT. When I load to my Hitachi it does the same as
> yours. When I load to my Samsung drive it reboots to GUI. Only thing I am
> aware of is Hitachi seems to have some problems with the x64 system. I have
> a Samsung 1213c 120 gig and a Samsung 1614c 160 gig drive. It installs fine
> on them (I have the beta on one and OEM final on the other). Only
> difference I have that I know of is that the Hitachi is SATA II and has NCQ.
> One other point is you do not need to F6 drivers unless you are using RAID.
> It caused me problems with the install when I did that, but I don't remember
> what the problem was. The nForce4 chip has the SATA drivers built in.
>

> "redrider13" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > my system is:
> > AMD 3500+
> > 1 gig corsair xms
> > ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
> > eVGA 6800 GT
> > 2 Samsung spinpoint series (120 GB)
> >

> > The GUI will not load and the text install will repeat itself, i think
> > because the HDD's arent being picked up by BIOS.

> John, did you havbe to install any drivers fot you 120GB samsung? the mother board will not recognize the HDD's in the SATA RAID ports(i want raid 0). could you please tell me what drivers you used and where you got them?

John Barnes

Sorry, I didn't use RAID You should be able to use one of the sets of RAID
drivers of of the motherboard CD you got. You will have to extract them to
a floppy and F6 when requested. You should be able to use either the Nvidia
or Silicon Image RAID for raid0 and there is an extract to floppy utility on
the cd for each of these. Check your motherboard manual page 5-20 etc for
instructions for setup. The Motherboard CD is pretty self explanatory for
creating the floppy. Hope you have one. You will probably need to use
another computer to make them. Good Luck.