Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Folders

Dual Folders

=?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldyBBbmRlcnNvbg==?=

Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time - Can
someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program Files
directory easily ?

When I install Autodesk's Land Desktop and indicate to install to the
C:\Program Files directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86) directory - it
appears that the installer using something called WIN64DUALFOLDERS makes a
substitution. This causes a problem for some of our network shortcuts that
refer to C:\Program Files directory.

I also have problems with no 64bit driver for the HP DesignJet 1050C Plus
printer.

I might have to wait until this is ready for prime time...

Matthew Anderson
anderson at jaseng.com

Wayne Wastier

Matthew Anderson wrote:
> Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time - Can
> someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program Files
> directory easily ?

Matthew, why would you want to do that? Just let it install where it
wants to.

Wayne

Christian Hougardy

Matthew Anderson <Matthew http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time -
> Can someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program
> Files directory easily ?
>
> When I install Autodesk's Land Desktop and indicate to install to the
> C:\Program Files directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86)
> directory - it appears that the installer using something called
> WIN64DUALFOLDERS makes a substitution. This causes a problem for
> some of our network shortcuts that refer to C:\Program Files
> directory.
>
> I also have problems with no 64bit driver for the HP DesignJet 1050C
> Plus printer.
>
> I might have to wait until this is ready for prime time...
>
> Matthew Anderson
> anderson at jaseng.com

32bit drivers are not going to work with x64, no way.
You'll find drivers for your hp on www.planetamd64.com

I don't understand why you want to change de default dir.
C:\Program Files is only for 64bit softwares

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

M. Murcek

Really, I agree with Wayne - the separate Program Files folders for x32 and
x64 programs are there for a reason. Also, I know in my case, I only look
directly at the Program Files folder(s) when there's a problem. I don't
look under the hood of my car every time I get in it to drive somewhere.

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23G$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matthew Anderson wrote:
>> Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time - Can
>> someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program Files
>> directory easily ?
>>

> Matthew, why would you want to do that? Just let it install where it wants
> to.
>

> Wayne

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

But isn't the x64 Program Files there just to keep things neat and tidy?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matthew Anderson <Matthew (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time -
>> Can someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program
>> Files directory easily ?
>>
>> When I install Autodesk's Land Desktop and indicate to install to the
>> C:\Program Files directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86)
>> directory - it appears that the installer using something called
>> WIN64DUALFOLDERS makes a substitution. This causes a problem for
>> some of our network shortcuts that refer to C:\Program Files
>> directory.
>>
>> I also have problems with no 64bit driver for the HP DesignJet 1050C
>> Plus printer.
>>
>> I might have to wait until this is ready for prime time...
>>
>> Matthew Anderson
>> anderson at jaseng.com

> 32bit drivers are not going to work with x64, no way.
> You'll find drivers for your hp on www.planetamd64.com
>
> I don't understand why you want to change de default dir.
> C:\Program Files is only for 64bit softwares
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

John Barnes

He told you why. He has network shortcuts that point to C:\Program Files
not C:\Program Files (x86)
I assume he has a mixed system and can't change the shortcut so it points to
the wrong directory on his 64bit system.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Matthew Anderson <Matthew (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time -
>> Can someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program
>> Files directory easily ?
>>
>> When I install Autodesk's Land Desktop and indicate to install to the
>> C:\Program Files directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86)
>> directory - it appears that the installer using something called
>> WIN64DUALFOLDERS makes a substitution. This causes a problem for
>> some of our network shortcuts that refer to C:\Program Files
>> directory.
>>
>> I also have problems with no 64bit driver for the HP DesignJet 1050C
>> Plus printer.
>>
>> I might have to wait until this is ready for prime time...
>>
>> Matthew Anderson
>> anderson at jaseng.com

> 32bit drivers are not going to work with x64, no way.
> You'll find drivers for your hp on www.planetamd64.com
>
> I don't understand why you want to change de default dir.
> C:\Program Files is only for 64bit softwares
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

John Barnes

If you have the network install on the single computer can you just change
the pointer in the shortcut?

"Matthew Anderson" <Matthew (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time - Can
> someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program Files
> directory easily ?
>
> When I install Autodesk's Land Desktop and indicate to install to the
> C:\Program Files directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86) directory -
> it
> appears that the installer using something called WIN64DUALFOLDERS makes a
> substitution. This causes a problem for some of our network shortcuts
> that
> refer to C:\Program Files directory.
>
> I also have problems with no 64bit driver for the HP DesignJet 1050C Plus
> printer.
>
> I might have to wait until this is ready for prime time...
>
> Matthew Anderson
> anderson at jaseng.com

John Barnes

Another possible solution is to put a shortcut in the Program Files pointing
to the file where it is installed
"Matthew Anderson" <Matthew (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe it was a mistake to get two XP 64bit computers at this time - Can
> someone tell me if I can "FORCE" installation to the C:\Program Files
> directory easily ?
>
> When I install Autodesk's Land Desktop and indicate to install to the
> C:\Program Files directory instead of C:\Program Files (x86) directory -
> it
> appears that the installer using something called WIN64DUALFOLDERS makes a
> substitution. This causes a problem for some of our network shortcuts
> that
> refer to C:\Program Files directory.
>
> I also have problems with no 64bit driver for the HP DesignJet 1050C Plus
> printer.
>
> I might have to wait until this is ready for prime time...
>
> Matthew Anderson
> anderson at jaseng.com

Wayne Wastier

John Barnes wrote:
> He told you why. He has network shortcuts that point to C:\Program Files
> not C:\Program Files (x86)
> I assume he has a mixed system and can't change the shortcut so it points to
> the wrong directory on his 64bit system.

I thought as much. I was hoping HE would post this info.

It is easy to change path names, if you know how.

Wayne

=?Utf-8?B?TWF0dGhldyBBbmRlcnNvbg==?=

Thanks all for the comments -

The problem is that I have 9 other regular XP and 2 XP64's computers....
and I'ld like them all to be the same...