Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cisco 1100 AP and IBM ThinkPad T40 problem

Cisco 1100 AP and IBM ThinkPad T40 problem

John Strow

This problem only happens with IBM wireless cards on T40p's, usually happens
in places where there more than one AP available, and it is bouncing between
them. Will produce bad_pool_caller error blue screen, which usually points
to bad driver. The Cisco or Intel cards have never had the problem. The
firmware and software have all been updated on the AP's. Seems to come and
go. Doesn't matter what IBM driver, T40 bios version, Windows level,
anything we can put a finger on. The IBM engineers didn't know either; they
wanted to have it 100% re-produce able before they would look at it. We
thought it was the XP zero configuration wireless service running, stopping
it didn't seem to help.

Any one experiencing similar problem?

Thanks,

John

Chris Gual [MSFT]

Hi John,

The Wireless Zero Config service should never cause a blue screen. WZC
is a user mode service (as opposed to a kernel mode process or a driver).
Here is a web page that has more information on what causes the
bad_pool_caller blue screen:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_stp_czgw.asp

The latest version of the driver for IBM T40/P is 3.1.102.23. Here is a
link to their driver:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...&lang=en&cc=US

If you are updated to the latest version of the driver and are still
having problems, you might want to ask IBM if they would accept a memory
dump when a blue screen happens. They should be able to use the memory dump
to figure out what is causing the blue screen. Follow the instructions on
the following web page to turn on complete memory dumps:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...d_stp_mncs.asp

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...