Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrade from RC 2 to retail version?

Upgrade from RC 2 to retail version?

Andreas Schwartmann

Hi,

I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
(Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).

I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide me
with a x64 driver for my printer.

Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I just
install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all registry
entries?

If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
software until buying the retail version.

Andreas

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Andreas;
An In Place Upgrade will do what you want.
It is not advisable to upgrade from a Beta version.
You should perform a Clean Installation.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Andreas Schwartmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>

> I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
> (Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).
>
> I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide me
> with a x64 driver for my printer.
>

> Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I just
> install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all registry
> entries?
>
> If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
> software until buying the retail version.
>

> Andreas

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

If you already had standardized on x64 hardware from its debut in 2003 with
32-bit Windows XP and was waiting on the release of Windows XP Professional
x64 Edition just to do a simple upgrade, think again. There is not upgrade
path from Windows XP 32-bit or 32-bit installations of Windows to Windows
x64.

Users have the option of doing a dual boot installation however with 32 bit
Windows, but problems can occur preparing the partition to install Windows
XP Professional x64 on, so make sure you back up all your data before doing
so. Also ensure that you have F6 drivers ready for your SATA/RAID hard disk
during setup. You cannot begin the installation of Windows XP Professional
x64 from within 32-bit Windows, you have to boot off the CD-ROM, so ensure
that your have your boot configuration set to CD-ROM Drive first.

Other upgrade paths:
Some persons who were able to test Windows XP Professional x64 during beta
stages and Corporate Previews are asking about upgrade paths to the final
version. Yes, it is possible, but not recommended or supported, there can be
unknown glitches that can make it more difficult to diagnose the problem or
suggest appropriate fixes. So a clean install is the best recommendation in
such cases.

If you choose to test out Windows XP Professional x64 with the RTM trial
copy and it has expired after 120 to 180days, users have the option of doing
what is called an inplace upgrade to full Windows XP Professional x64
without losing any data, but as with any upgrades, still do a backup.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Andreas Schwartmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>

> I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
> (Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).
>
> I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide me
> with a x64 driver for my printer.
>

> Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I just
> install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all registry
> entries?
>
> If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
> software until buying the retail version.
>

> Andreas

Charlie Russel - MVP

While it is technically possible to do an upgrade from the RC version, it is
STRONGLY recommended that you do a clean install. An upgrade would leave you
with an unsupported configuration.

--
Charlie.

Andreas Schwartmann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
> (Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).
>
> I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide
> me with a x64 driver for my printer.
>

> Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I
> just install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all
> registry entries?
>
> If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
> software until buying the retail version.
>

> Andreas

John Barnes

I agree that the best and recommended way would be a clean install. That
said I don't understand the constant comments about unsupported. This
system is OEM only and unless bought with a supported PC, which isn't the
case here, is unsupported anyway.

"Andreas Schwartmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>

> I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
> (Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).
>
> I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide me
> with a x64 driver for my printer.
>

> Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I just
> install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all registry
> entries?
>
> If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
> software until buying the retail version.
>

> Andreas

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Meaning, any unknown glitches that occurr between upgrading from beta to
final software can't be easily diagnosed.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Andreas Schwartmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>

> I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
> (Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).
>
> I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide me
> with a x64 driver for my printer.
>

> Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I just
> install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all registry
> entries?
>
> If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
> software until buying the retail version.
>

> Andreas

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

John;
It is unsupported by Microsoft because among other things they do not want
any Beta remnants on the system.
RC2 is a Beta and upgrading to the released version from a Beta in rarely if
ever supported by Microsoft.
One of the first fixes for such a computer with troubles is a Clean Install
to be sure Beta is not related to the problem.
That is why it is unsupported and a Clean Install is recommended to begin
with..

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

news:OJwG$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree that the best and recommended way would be a clean install. That
>said I don't understand the constant comments about unsupported. This
>system is OEM only and unless bought with a supported PC, which isn't the
>case here, is unsupported anyway.
>

> "Andreas Schwartmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
>> (Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).
>>
>> I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide me
>> with a x64 driver for my printer.
>>

>> Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I just
>> install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all registry
>> entries?
>>
>> If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
>> software until buying the retail version.
>>

>> Andreas

John Barnes

Don't understand your need to reply.
Everyone including myself strongly recommended a clean install.
What you said is relevant to a retail purchase.
This system is OEM only as I mentioned.
Only support would be from a computer manufacturer if pre-installed
OEM from NewEgg, etc. is unsupported, period. He may well have had better
access to support from the beta team than he will have after the OEM is
installed.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John;
> It is unsupported by Microsoft because among other things they do not want
> any Beta remnants on the system.
> RC2 is a Beta and upgrading to the released version from a Beta in rarely
> if ever supported by Microsoft.
> One of the first fixes for such a computer with troubles is a Clean
> Install to be sure Beta is not related to the problem.
> That is why it is unsupported and a Clean Install is recommended to begin
> with..
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

> news:OJwG$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I agree that the best and recommended way would be a clean install. That
>>said I don't understand the constant comments about unsupported. This
>>system is OEM only and unless bought with a supported PC, which isn't the
>>case here, is unsupported anyway.
>>

>> "Andreas Schwartmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I am currently using the latest public release candidate of Win XP 64
>>> (Build 3790, Service Pack 1, v.1433).
>>>
>>> I am planning to buy the retail version as soon as Epson can provide me
>>> with a x64 driver for my printer.
>>>

>>> Will I need to reinstall my OS with all my programs then, or can I just
>>> install the retail version over my current rc2 and keep all registry
>>> entries?
>>>
>>> If I will need to reinstall, I will refrain from installing too much
>>> software until buying the retail version.
>>>

>>> Andreas

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

John;
I replied because you stated "I don't understand..."
An In Place Upgrade will work in this situation.
An In Place Upgrade will also work if the original is the trial version.

The difference between the two is the first is Beta and thus untested and
thereby unsupported.
It is not relevant if OEM or retail.
The In Place Upgrade would work in either case if a retail version were
available.

You may be thinking to narrowly of "supported".
There are many kinds and sources of support.

As an example, an upgrade from the trial that experiences a specific issue
among numerous computers may suggest to Microsoft research and possibly
publish a KB article etc.
A similar problem with an upgrade from Beta, Microsoft is more likely to
suggest a Clean Install with little or no research of the problem.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't understand your need to reply.
> Everyone including myself strongly recommended a clean install.
> What you said is relevant to a retail purchase.
> This system is OEM only as I mentioned.
> Only support would be from a computer manufacturer if pre-installed
> OEM from NewEgg, etc. is unsupported, period. He may well have had better
> access to support from the beta team than he will have after the OEM is
> installed.
>

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> John;
>> It is unsupported by Microsoft because among other things they do not
>> want any Beta remnants on the system.
>> RC2 is a Beta and upgrading to the released version from a Beta in rarely
>> if ever supported by Microsoft.
>> One of the first fixes for such a computer with troubles is a Clean
>> Install to be sure Beta is not related to the problem.
>> That is why it is unsupported and a Clean Install is recommended to begin
>> with..
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OJwG$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I agree that the best and recommended way would be a clean install. That
>>>said I don't understand the constant comments about unsupported. This
>>>system is OEM only and unless bought with a supported PC, which isn't the
>>>case here, is unsupported anyway.
>>>

>>> "Andreas Schwartmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The only people I know who do upgrade from betas is IT departments that have
probably standardized on a beta version of Windows Server. I think I read on
the Windows Server 2000 disk support docs that upgrading from a beta version
is supported, I don't know if this has changed since version 2003.