Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Motherboard conversion advice needed

Motherboard conversion advice needed

formerprof

I am converting my machine from an ASUS A8V-Deluxe to A8N-SLI. All CPU,
memory and all disk drives remain the same but a new video card has to be
installed of course. Can I escape a full clean reinstallation of XP
Professional x64 by doing a repair installation?

Thanks for your help.

formerprof

Christian Hougardy

formerprof <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am converting my machine from an ASUS A8V-Deluxe to A8N-SLI. All
> CPU, memory and all disk drives remain the same but a new video card
> has to be installed of course. Can I escape a full clean
> reinstallation of XP Professional x64 by doing a repair installation?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> formerprof
> (E-Mail Removed)

Probably yes, what you will not escape is the re-activation
But I did the very same here, from an intel Mobo to the A8V. Repair was
enough.
Good luck anyway

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

warpsix

besides the sli, is there a reason you are replacing the a8v deluxe
I have the a8v deluxe and have been very satisfied with its performance
just wondering .

formerprof wrote:
> I am converting my machine from an ASUS A8V-Deluxe to A8N-SLI. All CPU,
> memory and all disk drives remain the same but a new video card has to be
> installed of course. Can I escape a full clean reinstallation of XP
> Professional x64 by doing a repair installation?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>

> formerprof
> (E-Mail Removed)

formerprof

The A8V Deluxe has been excellent. It's a fine board. I've been given a vy
elaborate PCI-e display adapter which I want to try. The A8V Deluxe will be
going into a slightly less elaborate machine which I am building for my
grandson.

formerprof

"warpsix" <nomail@home> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> besides the sli, is there a reason you are replacing the a8v deluxe
> I have the a8v deluxe and have been very satisfied with its performance
> just wondering .
>
> formerprof wrote:
>> I am converting my machine from an ASUS A8V-Deluxe to A8N-SLI. All CPU,
>> memory and all disk drives remain the same but a new video card has to be
>> installed of course. Can I escape a full clean reinstallation of XP
>> Professional x64 by doing a repair installation?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

>> formerprof
>> (E-Mail Removed)

=?Utf-8?B?Q0pN?=

When you jump from a standard to an SLI configuration, it is highly
recommended that you start with a clean install. I read it in quite a few
SLI reviews before building my system, and ignored it. After 3 hours of
problems and quirks, I did a clean install. Worked much better.

--
AMD FX-55
2 GB Corsair Pro