Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Boot Disk Failure

Boot Disk Failure

=?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=

Hi, i've checked over the forums for about 1 hour first, i noticed a few
other people having this problem, but it wasn't the same problem as mine so
they didn't help.

I downloaded the iso file, burned it to a cd, inserted the cd, it told me to
restart the computer with the cd in the drive (i've reformatted and installed
windows many times, just want to be clear on the exact steps i took),
restarted the computer ( i do have cd-rom as 1st priority boot, then hd in
BIOS) and it just boots like normal to my current version of xp. Seems to
skip right by the cd. I then inserted my windows xp cd, rebooted, and it
booted from the cd like it should. The x64 burned cd, checks out good when i
explore it, and it autoruns. But for some reason it doesn't seem to be
bootable. Is there something i can do to fix this? I am running and AMD64
cpu as well. Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need to use a
plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
--
Charlie.

justinwol wrote:
> Hi, i've checked over the forums for about 1 hour first, i noticed a
> few other people having this problem, but it wasn't the same problem
> as mine so they didn't help.
>
> I downloaded the iso file, burned it to a cd, inserted the cd, it
> told me to restart the computer with the cd in the drive (i've
> reformatted and installed windows many times, just want to be clear
> on the exact steps i took), restarted the computer ( i do have cd-rom
> as 1st priority boot, then hd in BIOS) and it just boots like normal
> to my current version of xp. Seems to skip right by the cd. I then
> inserted my windows xp cd, rebooted, and it booted from the cd like
> it should. The x64 burned cd, checks out good when i explore it, and
> it autoruns. But for some reason it doesn't seem to be bootable.
> Is there something i can do to fix this? I am running and AMD64 cpu
> as well. Thanks

Caoimhghin

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need to
> use a plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
> --
> Charlie.

Well I've used the same CD-RW disc for burning RC1, RC2 and now the eval.
copy worked every time. Why do you think a CD-RW will not work?

=?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=

Actually yes, it is a CD-RW. Thanks for the reply, so it won't work at all
on a CD-RW?

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need to use a
> plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
> --
> Charlie.
>
> justinwol wrote:
> > Hi, i've checked over the forums for about 1 hour first, i noticed a
> > few other people having this problem, but it wasn't the same problem
> > as mine so they didn't help.
> >
> > I downloaded the iso file, burned it to a cd, inserted the cd, it
> > told me to restart the computer with the cd in the drive (i've
> > reformatted and installed windows many times, just want to be clear
> > on the exact steps i took), restarted the computer ( i do have cd-rom
> > as 1st priority boot, then hd in BIOS) and it just boots like normal
> > to my current version of xp. Seems to skip right by the cd. I then
> > inserted my windows xp cd, rebooted, and it booted from the cd like
> > it should. The x64 burned cd, checks out good when i explore it, and
> > it autoruns. But for some reason it doesn't seem to be bootable.
> > Is there something i can do to fix this? I am running and AMD64 cpu
> > as well. Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

Sometimes not. I've seen case where a re-writeable disk was not recognized as
a bootable CD -- I think it depends on your combination of drive and BIOS.
Other testers report success, but I know on my systems I've had problems. So
I always strongly recommend not using a rewritable CD for a boot CD.

--
Charlie.

justinwol wrote:
> Actually yes, it is a CD-RW. Thanks for the reply, so it won't work
> at all on a CD-RW?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need
>> to use a plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> justinwol wrote:
>>> Hi, i've checked over the forums for about 1 hour first, i noticed a
>>> few other people having this problem, but it wasn't the same problem
>>> as mine so they didn't help.
>>>
>>> I downloaded the iso file, burned it to a cd, inserted the cd, it
>>> told me to restart the computer with the cd in the drive (i've
>>> reformatted and installed windows many times, just want to be clear
>>> on the exact steps i took), restarted the computer ( i do have
>>> cd-rom as 1st priority boot, then hd in BIOS) and it just boots
>>> like normal to my current version of xp. Seems to skip right by
>>> the cd. I then inserted my windows xp cd, rebooted, and it booted
>>> from the cd like it should. The x64 burned cd, checks out good
>>> when i explore it, and it autoruns. But for some reason it
>>> doesn't seem to be bootable. Is there something i can do to fix
>>> this? I am running and AMD64 cpu as well. Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

It's a variable -- some systems will work fine, others not. I've got at least
one system here (ASUS mobo) that simply will not read a rewritable CD as a
boot cd. Not sure if it's the BIOS on the system, or the actual CD drive
itself. But I've consistently verified the problem on that system. It's a
pain, I agree, since this is a perfect use for a rewritable CD.

--
Charlie.

Caoimhghin wrote:
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need
>> to use a plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>

> Well I've used the same CD-RW disc for burning RC1, RC2 and now the
> eval. copy worked every time. Why do you think a CD-RW will not work?

=?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=

k, it still won't boot from the cd. I burnt it to a Standard CD-R, and again
it autoplays, giving me a message that "this version of windows must be
installed by booting from the cd... etc restart computer" not exact words,
but you get the idea. Reboot and just loads straight to windows. I got the
Boot Disk Failure, only because i took the HD out of the boot priority list
and just had the cd-rom. Now i have it set, like before, CD-ROM 1st, HD 2nd.
I again tested my Win XP cd, and it boots fine. Is there anything else i
can do? I have an Asus A8N SLi mobo. Thanks for your help thus far.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Sometimes not. I've seen case where a re-writeable disk was not recognized as
> a bootable CD -- I think it depends on your combination of drive and BIOS.
> Other testers report success, but I know on my systems I've had problems. So
> I always strongly recommend not using a rewritable CD for a boot CD.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> justinwol wrote:
> > Actually yes, it is a CD-RW. Thanks for the reply, so it won't work
> > at all on a CD-RW?
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> When you burned that to a CD, did you happen to use a CDRW? You need
> >> to use a plain old, write once, CD. Re-writeable won't work for this.
> >> --
> >> Charlie.

Charlie Russel - MVP

No clue. It just works, here, and we haven't seen any other reports of
issues. I'd have to say it sounds like a defective drive or download or other
issue. Possibly even a BIOS issue. But not really an x64 issue.

--
Charlie.

justinwol wrote:
> k, it still won't boot from the cd. I burnt it to a Standard CD-R,
> and again it autoplays, giving me a message that "this version of
> windows must be installed by booting from the cd... etc restart
> computer" not exact words, but you get the idea. Reboot and just
> loads straight to windows. I got the Boot Disk Failure, only because
> i took the HD out of the boot priority list and just had the cd-rom.
> Now i have it set, like before, CD-ROM 1st, HD 2nd. I again tested my
> Win XP cd, and it boots fine. Is there anything else i can do? I
> have an Asus A8N SLi mobo. Thanks for your help thus far.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Sometimes not. I've seen case where a re-writeable disk was not
>> recognized as a bootable CD -- I think it depends on your
>> combination of drive and BIOS. Other testers report success, but I
>> know on my systems I've had problems. So I always strongly recommend
>> not using a rewritable CD for a boot CD.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> justinwol wrote:
>>> Actually yes, it is a CD-RW. Thanks for the reply, so it won't work
>>> at all on a CD-RW?

=?Utf-8?B?anVzdGlud29s?=

Hrm, ok thanks. I guess i'll just try and re-download and burn it. And if
nothing, then i'll try a different cd-rom as well. I think i'll try a
different cd-rom with the current cd i have and see if that works. Thanks
for the suggestions.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> No clue. It just works, here, and we haven't seen any other reports of
> issues. I'd have to say it sounds like a defective drive or download or other
> issue. Possibly even a BIOS issue. But not really an x64 issue.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> justinwol wrote:
> > k, it still won't boot from the cd. I burnt it to a Standard CD-R,
> > and again it autoplays, giving me a message that "this version of
> > windows must be installed by booting from the cd... etc restart
> > computer" not exact words, but you get the idea. Reboot and just
> > loads straight to windows. I got the Boot Disk Failure, only because
> > i took the HD out of the boot priority list and just had the cd-rom.
> > Now i have it set, like before, CD-ROM 1st, HD 2nd. I again tested my
> > Win XP cd, and it boots fine. Is there anything else i can do? I
> > have an Asus A8N SLi mobo. Thanks for your help thus far.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Sometimes not. I've seen case where a re-writeable disk was not
> >> recognized as a bootable CD -- I think it depends on your
> >> combination of drive and BIOS. Other testers report success, but I
> >> know on my systems I've had problems. So I always strongly recommend
> >> not using a rewritable CD for a boot CD.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Always try the cheapest/easiest first. So yes, try booting another computer
with that CD in the drive. If it doesn't work, then you look at the download
or the burn. If it _does_ work, you know it's something on the x64
computer -- bios or drive, almost certainly. (You don't, by any wierd chance,
have two CD/DVD players in that computer, do you? It will only boot from one
of them, and I've been fooled by that one before.)

--
Charlie.