Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 and SATA

x64 and SATA

Rick

I fully agree that a USB floppy will not work on all systems, but from
my personal experience with lot of boards, (I have been building and
repairing PCs for almost 20 years) I have discovered that "USB Device
Legacy Support" (or similar wording) in the system BIOS is necessary
since at the point the floppy is needed during the Windows XP and x64,
and others, installation, the environment apparently does not have a USB
driver installed and will not recognize the USB floppy as being present.

I have also ran across problems with some of the Linux distributions if
the 'legacy support' is enabled. So it's a mixed bag!

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> works on some mobos, not on others. And varies by USB floppy drive, actually,
> as well. So not reliable. Useful when it does, however.

Mark Gillespie

Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative. Actually, there is one -- creating
> a slipstream installation. But that's non-trivial and probably more work than
> the $10-15 that a new floppy drive goes for. Yes, it's a pain. I haven't
> bought a floppy drive with any of the last 3 or 4 computers I bought. But
> broke down and bought one just to get around this (and similar problems on my
> 32-bit server, I might add, since it's running RAID.)

You also have to remember that some PC motherboards don't come with
Floppy disk controllers any more... (although I think all the X64
boards do, at present).

I certainly have 2 PC motherboards with no FDD controller, so if I
wanted to install a version of Windows, where my boot device needed a
driver, I would be forking out for a USB floppy, and hoping that my BIOS
supported it correctly..

Charlie Russel - MVP

Now THAT I haven't seen. But then, I'm not buying inexpensive or super small
motherboards, opting for full feature more than size. Most of my mobos are
ASUS, lately. I've been happy, even though they're not on the bleeding edge
with AMD, certainly. They're been solid, dependable, and well executed
boards, with all the features I want and need.

--
Charlie.

Mark Gillespie wrote:
> Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative. Actually, there is one --
>> creating a slipstream installation. But that's non-trivial and
>> probably more work than the $10-15 that a new floppy drive goes for.
>> Yes, it's a pain. I haven't bought a floppy drive with any of the
>> last 3 or 4 computers I bought. But broke down and bought one just
>> to get around this (and similar problems on my 32-bit server, I
>> might add, since it's running RAID.)

> You also have to remember that some PC motherboards don't come with
> Floppy disk controllers any more... (although I think all the X64
> boards do, at present).
>
> I certainly have 2 PC motherboards with no FDD controller, so if I
> wanted to install a version of Windows, where my boot device needed a
> driver, I would be forking out for a USB floppy, and hoping that my
> BIOS supported it correctly..

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, I'd agree as well -- IF it's going to work for Windows installation,
legacy support will need to be enabled.

--
Charlie.

Rick wrote:
> I fully agree that a USB floppy will not work on all systems, but from
> my personal experience with lot of boards, (I have been building and
> repairing PCs for almost 20 years) I have discovered that "USB Device
> Legacy Support" (or similar wording) in the system BIOS is necessary
> since at the point the floppy is needed during the Windows XP and x64,
> and others, installation, the environment apparently does not have a
> USB driver installed and will not recognize the USB floppy as being
> present.
> I have also ran across problems with some of the Linux distributions
> if the 'legacy support' is enabled. So it's a mixed bag!
>

> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
>> works on some mobos, not on others. And varies by USB floppy drive,
>> actually, as well. So not reliable. Useful when it does, however.

Mark Gillespie

Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Now THAT I haven't seen. But then, I'm not buying inexpensive or super small
> motherboards, opting for full feature more than size. Most of my mobos are
> ASUS, lately. I've been happy, even though they're not on the bleeding edge
> with AMD, certainly. They're been solid, dependable, and well executed
> boards, with all the features I want and need.

Basically, Microsoft by not updating their installer, are forcing the
industry down another 5 years of supporting long dead legacy hardware...
Not good...

=?Utf-8?B?U2pvZXJkIFRlZ2VsYWFy?=

Can some one please explane me how to install win x64 on an SATA drive when I
have a floppy drive with my HDD Driver on it (step by step please, kind of a
noob :S)

I boot from the win x64 cd, get the blue screen and then.....

Charlie Russel - MVP

http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../11/52162.aspx

Including links to MS KB articles on it as well.

--
Charlie.

Sjoerd Tegelaar wrote:
> Can some one please explane me how to install win x64 on an SATA
> drive when I have a floppy drive with my HDD Driver on it (step by
> step please, kind of a noob :S)
>
> I boot from the win x64 cd, get the blue screen and then.....

John Barnes

Press F6 as soon as it appears at the bottom of the screen
Insert the floppy with the drivers
When you come to the screen asking for drivers select the option to load
drivers - think is it S
Press enter
View drivers selected by Windows. Select any driver designated as required
or the top one.
Press enter.
Repeat if more than one driver marked as required.
When the final driver has been loaded press enter to resume the loading of
the Text portion of Windows loading.
Let the system reboot to the GUI phase of the install
If it doesn't properly boot to the GUI you have done something wrong and you
need to review what you have done and
either retry or ask another question here with any error messages you
receive.

Been a while and the steps are correct, but you should read the screens that
it stops on and you should be able to pick the correct options.

Good Luck

"Sjoerd Tegelaar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can some one please explane me how to install win x64 on an SATA drive
> when I
> have a floppy drive with my HDD Driver on it (step by step please, kind of
> noob :S)
>
> I boot from the win x64 cd, get the blue screen and then.....

John Barnes

Use Charlies, I'm sure it is more detailed and accurate.

"Sjoerd Tegelaar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can some one please explane me how to install win x64 on an SATA drive
> when I
> have a floppy drive with my HDD Driver on it (step by step please, kind of
> noob :S)
>
> I boot from the win x64 cd, get the blue screen and then.....

=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

i got a sysytem i an building, i am using raid, both drives are of the same
type and size, these are both set up on separate channels, when i do the f-6
and point to the flopy, i pick my drivers, then hit enter, then xp pro loads
it's drivers, it's when it done loading the drivers xp wants me to hit enter
to continue loading windows it comes back telling me the it does not
recognize my hard drives, i've done this over and over, even tried a few
tricks that i thought might work, i still get to the same point where it says
it doesn't see my drives.this is trying to install 32 bit version of xp pro