Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 and SATA

x64 and SATA

Charlie Russel - MVP

Not reliably, Kevin. Depends entirely on your BIOS. Some support it early
enough, some don't.

--
Charlie.

Kevin Panzke wrote:
> Using F6 works just fine with my USB Floppy Disk Drive. I have a
> Dell 8400 Desktop (EM64T) with A06 BIOS running Windows XP X64
> Edition.
> "Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
>>> It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from
>>> your OEM. That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for
>>> 32-bit XP right now for many controllers. It's not hard to obtain
>>> the drivers, and while I agree it's an annoyance to use F6 when you
>>> first install, that's the only time you need to worry about it.
>>> Once it's installed, you're good.

>> Assuming you have a 15 year old 1.44Mb floppy disk fitted, otherwise
>> your pretty much screwed when it comes to installing SATA drivers
>> for XP64. A very embarrassing undersight IMHO by Microsoft. You would
>> think
>> in this day and age, setup could load drivers of a USB drive, but
>> then it XP X64 is running a hacked NT3.51 setup from 15 years ago...

Mark Gillespie

Kevin Panzke got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Using F6 works just fine with my USB Floppy Disk Drive. I have a Dell 8400
> Desktop (EM64T) with A06 BIOS running Windows XP X64 Edition.
>
> "Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
>>
>>>It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from your OEM.
>>>That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for 32-bit XP right now
>>>for many controllers. It's not hard to obtain the drivers, and while I
>>>agree it's an annoyance to use F6 when you first install, that's the only
>>>time you need to worry about it. Once it's installed, you're good.
>>>

>>Assuming you have a 15 year old 1.44Mb floppy disk fitted, otherwise your
>>pretty much screwed when it comes to installing SATA drivers for XP64.
>>
>>A very embarrassing undersight IMHO by Microsoft. You would think in this
>>day and age, setup could load drivers of a USB drive, but then it XP X64
>>is running a hacked NT3.51 setup from 15 years ago...

I was really referring to USB drive, as in pen drive, rather than USB
Floppy, but even USB floppy is hit and miss...

Jud Hendrix

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:39:41 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative.

What's the problem of installing them on the Windows installation CD
in the first place? Most new computers don't come with floppy-drives
anymore.

jud'

Rick

If you mean a USB floppy drive, you can load the drivers on many
computer with a USB floppy. You have to enable "legacy support" in your
BIOS for the USB floppy to be seen by the installation program.

Mark Gillespie wrote:
> Charlie Russel - MVP got up from the bar and shouted: :
>
>> It's perfectly compatible right now. You just need drivers from your
>> OEM. That's not particularly remarkable, you need them for 32-bit XP
>> right now for many controllers. It's not hard to obtain the drivers,
>> and while I agree it's an annoyance to use F6 when you first install,
>> that's the only time you need to worry about it. Once it's installed,
>> you're good.
>>

> Assuming you have a 15 year old 1.44Mb floppy disk fitted, otherwise
> your pretty much screwed when it comes to installing SATA drivers for XP64.
>
> A very embarrassing undersight IMHO by Microsoft. You would think in
> this day and age, setup could load drivers of a USB drive, but then it
> XP X64 is running a hacked NT3.51 setup from 15 years ago...

R. C. White

Hi, John - and Sam.

My year-old EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo has the nForce3 250GB chipset, which controls 2
onboard SATA connectors. I downloaded the final x64 from MSDN last month
and burned the ISO to a CD-ROM. When I booted from that CD, it installed
x64 to my new SATA HD without my having to use the F6 key! The 06/05 DVD
from MSDN includes the RTM version of x64, so I burned a new CD from that
ISO and installed x64 from scratch again. Again, the F6 key was not
required.

I'm NOT using RAID of any kind; my SATA HD is "just another IDE drive" in my
system. If I were using RAID, I might need to use F6, but I don't know.
Also, my mobo has 4 more SATA/RAID connectors supported by an onboard
SiI3114 controller; I might need F6 if I wanted to boot from a SATA drive on
one of those connectors, but I don't know that, either.

When I got Win2K in 2000, I had to use F6 each time I installed - or
re-installed - Win2K. WinXP (32) had my AHA-2930U2 drivers built-in, so I
didn't have to use F6 anymore. And I'm VERY happy that I don't have to use
F6 now to install either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of WinXP with my SATA
drive as the boot device.

This seems to confirm: It depends on your chipset.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Totally depends on your chipset. NForce4 doesn't need them. As far as I
> remember Nforce3 and Via do.
>
> "Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Its already there, no need for extra driver unless your using raid.
>> Just make sure computer bios sees the sata drive before you install.
>> "i1zuhg3n1u5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone have any idea when a version of Windows XP x64 will be
>>> released
>>> that has SATA compatibility? I don't have any IDE drives, so this is a
>>> major
>>> inconvienance for me.

Christian Hougardy

Jud Hendrix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:39:41 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative.

> What's the problem of installing them on the Windows installation CD
> in the first place? Most new computers don't come with floppy-drives
> anymore.
>
> jud'

Hi Jud,

As far as I understand, it will be done with Longhorn....
Not a bad news

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Christian Hougardy

R. C. White <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, John - and Sam.
>
> My year-old EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo has the nForce3 250GB chipset, which
> controls 2 onboard SATA connectors. I downloaded the final x64 from
> MSDN last month and burned the ISO to a CD-ROM. When I booted from
> that CD, it installed x64 to my new SATA HD without my having to use
> the F6 key! The 06/05 DVD from MSDN includes the RTM version of x64,
> so I burned a new CD from that ISO and installed x64 from scratch
> again. Again, the F6 key was not required.
>
> I'm NOT using RAID of any kind; my SATA HD is "just another IDE
> drive" in my system. If I were using RAID, I might need to use F6,
> but I don't know. Also, my mobo has 4 more SATA/RAID connectors
> supported by an onboard SiI3114 controller; I might need F6 if I
> wanted to boot from a SATA drive on one of those connectors, but I
> don't know that, either.
> When I got Win2K in 2000, I had to use F6 each time I installed - or
> re-installed - Win2K. WinXP (32) had my AHA-2930U2 drivers built-in,
> so I didn't have to use F6 anymore. And I'm VERY happy that I don't
> have to use F6 now to install either the 32-bit or 64-bit version of
> WinXP with my SATA drive as the boot device.
>
> This seems to confirm: It depends on your chipset.
>
> RC

Hi RC,

nothing else to say, I agree with you

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Jud Hendrix

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:07:11 +0200, "Christian Hougardy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As far as I understand, it will be done with Longhorn....
>Not a bad news

That'll be next year then, for normal people

But what I thought, MS is now doing this downloading thing of x64, so
it would be quite easy to update the ISO with patches which do include
installation of drivers off disk, and also easy to update them. And
for those buying in the shop, well, they have to suffer
If the idea takes off, I get a dollar for every disk downloaded for
the idea

jud

Charlie Russel - MVP

creating a slipstream installation for every possible beta I might be on is
really not worth the amount of work it would take, as compared to buying a
$15 floppy drive. If I spend more than 5 minutes, once, doing it, the drive
is paid for. And given the number of times I have to do this during even one
beta...

As to why MS couldn't put them on the CD? They aren't yet certified drivers,
and the HW mfg's never have the drivers ready in time for inclusion in the
base OS.

But what we _do_ need is the ability to choose an alternate source for the F6
drivers -- CD, DVD, USB key drive, floppy, whatever. That's something I
suspect we'll get in Longhorn, but right now isn't there and is a PITA.

--
Charlie.

Jud Hendrix wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 22:39:41 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Yup, we'd all like to see an alternative.

> What's the problem of installing them on the Windows installation CD
> in the first place? Most new computers don't come with floppy-drives
> anymore.
>
> jud'

Charlie Russel - MVP

works on some mobos, not on others. And varies by USB floppy drive, actually,
as well. So not reliable. Useful when it does, however.

--
Charlie.