Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Recommendations for Windows XP x64 compatible notebook

Recommendations for Windows XP x64 compatible notebook

John Smith

Hi everyone,

I need a new machine for testing and developing x64 applications. I'd like
to get a notebook though. I assume that the ones which run AMD cpu are a
better choice (compared to Intel 640 series).

My biggest priority is low price. The more I can get for my money the
better.

Can anyone recommend any laptops known to work with it?

I contacted HP but it seems their pavilion series isn't guarrantied to work
with it at all and they have no official upgrade plans.

Thanks in advance.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/ notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm

and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
Windows XP Professional x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I need a new machine for testing and developing x64 applications. I'd like
> to get a notebook though. I assume that the ones which run AMD cpu are a
> better choice (compared to Intel 640 series).
>
> My biggest priority is low price. The more I can get for my money the
> better.
>
> Can anyone recommend any laptops known to work with it?
>
> I contacted HP but it seems their pavilion series isn't guarrantied to
> work
> with it at all and they have no official upgrade plans.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Christian Hougardy

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/
> notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm
> and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
> Windows XP Professional x64.

Anyway, as John was speaking about a cheap system, I'm not really sure
Alienware will do it

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

John Smith

> Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9156022,00.htm
>
> and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
> Windows XP Professional x64.

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I've been looking at Acer Ferrari 3400
already. I think I will buy this if I don't find any better because I
contacted Acer and they have official x64 support.
However I am honestly not impressed about what I get for my money. The HP
series seems to offer more hardware for same money and atleast here where I
live I will end up paying atleast $800 for the Acer with more crappy
hardware.

-- John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Good point Christian.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/
>> notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm
>> and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
>> Windows XP Professional x64.
>>

> Anyway, as John was speaking about a cheap system, I'm not really sure
> Alienware will do it
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

M. Murcek

If you are willing to hunt up the drivers yourself, the HP zv5000z and the
Compaq R3000 both work fine. As you noted, they are not officially
supported, and as of now, it looks like they will not be, though rumors to
the contrary persist. All the necessary generic drivers are available from
planetAMD64, laptopvideo2go.com and nVidia.

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9156022,00.htm
>>
>> and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
>> Windows XP Professional x64.

> Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I've been looking at Acer Ferrari
> 3400
> already. I think I will buy this if I don't find any better because I
> contacted Acer and they have official x64 support.
> However I am honestly not impressed about what I get for my money. The HP
> series seems to offer more hardware for same money and atleast here where
> live I will end up paying atleast $800 for the Acer with more crappy
> hardware.
>
> -- John

Charlie Russel - MVP

True, the Ferrari models aren't the cheapest. But let's face it. They ARE the
coolest. That ought to be worth something. And look for the price to come
down on the 3400 now that they've announced the 4000.

--
Charlie.

John Smith wrote:
>> Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9156022,00.htm
>>
>> and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
>> Windows XP Professional x64.

> Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I've been looking at Acer
> Ferrari 3400 already. I think I will buy this if I don't find any
> better because I contacted Acer and they have official x64 support.
> However I am honestly not impressed about what I get for my money.
> The HP series seems to offer more hardware for same money and atleast
> here where I live I will end up paying atleast $800 for the Acer with
> more crappy hardware.
>
> -- John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

But then he's going to want the 4000, Charlie, I think you just made the
decision harder.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> True, the Ferrari models aren't the cheapest. But let's face it. They ARE
> the coolest. That ought to be worth something. And look for the price to
> come down on the 3400 now that they've announced the 4000.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> John Smith wrote:
>>> Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
>>> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9156022,00.htm
>>>
>>> and Alienware also, but I don't think the systems are pre-loaded with
>>> Windows XP Professional x64.

>> Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I've been looking at Acer
>> Ferrari 3400 already. I think I will buy this if I don't find any
>> better because I contacted Acer and they have official x64 support.
>> However I am honestly not impressed about what I get for my money.
>> The HP series seems to offer more hardware for same money and atleast
>> here where I live I will end up paying atleast $800 for the Acer with
>> more crappy hardware.
>>
>> -- John

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yeah, but the 4000 isn't here yet, and I'll bet it's going to be rather
pricy. I would love it, but I'll settle for none of the above. I've already
got two Tablet PCs here, I don't really NEED another laptop. Want is a
different story, of course.

--
Charlie.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> But then he's going to want the 4000, Charlie, I think you just made
> the decision harder.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> True, the Ferrari models aren't the cheapest. But let's face it.
>> They ARE the coolest. That ought to be worth something. And look for
>> the price to come down on the 3400 now that they've announced the
>> 4000. --
>> Charlie.

>>> Thanks for the suggestions. Actually I've been looking at Acer
>>> Ferrari 3400 already. I think I will buy this if I don't find any
>>> better because I contacted Acer and they have official x64 support.
>>> However I am honestly not impressed about what I get for my money.
>>> The HP series seems to offer more hardware for same money and
>>> atleast here where I live I will end up paying atleast $800 for the
>>> Acer with more crappy hardware.
>>>
>>> -- John

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I know my next laptop is Tablet PC, but I'm waiting until Intel comes out
with their dual core mobile processors next year code name Yonah.