Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Ill try later..

Ill try later..

_Mark_

Installed XP 64 and then installed all drivers except printer. While
everything installed fine Internet browsing is very slow. It takes usually
10 seconds to load a page, while XP Home is immediate... Any ideas..

Christian Hougardy

_Mark_ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Installed XP 64 and then installed all drivers except printer. While
> everything installed fine Internet browsing is very slow. It takes
> usually 10 seconds to load a page, while XP Home is immediate... Any
> ideas..

Hi Mark

Maybe:

If you have the nVidia Firewall enable
If you're using the quiet and cool if your mobo is an Asus.
We really need more info about your configuration to able to assist you.

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

NoNoBadDog!

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> _Mark_ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Installed XP 64 and then installed all drivers except printer. While
>> everything installed fine Internet browsing is very slow. It takes
>> usually 10 seconds to load a page, while XP Home is immediate... Any
>> ideas..

> Hi Mark
>
> Maybe:
>
> If you have the nVidia Firewall enable
> If you're using the quiet and cool if your mobo is an Asus.
> We really need more info about your configuration to able to assist you.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Cool n' Quiet has no effect on web browsing....

Bobby

_Mark_

Sorry. ASUS K8N. No firewall installed, nor is the cool and quiet
installed. 1.0 megs of memory with 2 WD SATA 120 drives..

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> _Mark_ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Installed XP 64 and then installed all drivers except printer. While
>> everything installed fine Internet browsing is very slow. It takes
>> usually 10 seconds to load a page, while XP Home is immediate... Any
>> ideas..

> Hi Mark
>
> Maybe:
>
> If you have the nVidia Firewall enable
> If you're using the quiet and cool if your mobo is an Asus.
> We really need more info about your configuration to able to assist you.
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Wayne Wastier

_Mark_ wrote:
> Sorry. ASUS K8N. No firewall installed, nor is the cool and quiet
> installed. 1.0 megs of memory with 2 WD SATA 120 drives..

Why doesn't anyone want to use EIDE drives? They are just as good, imo.
That is the number one problem people are having, is related to SATA
drivers.

Wayne

NoNoBadDog!

Obviously, you have not done your homework. SATA drives are faster than
EIDE, and can be set up for maximum data security. However, with the
introduction of NCQ on the IDE side, demand for SATA may well fall. NCQ
enabled drives, when teamed with NCQ enabled motherboards, gives better
*SUSTAINED* throughput than SATA, so will give better performance in the
real world. SATA drives can deliver large amounts of data in BURST mode (up
to 150MBps in SATA I and up to 300 MBps in SATA II), but are generally not
faster than EIDE in sustained reads. However, SATA RAID configurations do
offer advantages over an IDE array. Many who wish to play games, edit
video, or use other disk intensive apps, may choose SATA. Those who need to
ensure that their data is protected (by redundant "striping") will choose
SATA.

Bobby

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> _Mark_ wrote:
>> Sorry. ASUS K8N. No firewall installed, nor is the cool and quiet
>> installed. 1.0 megs of memory with 2 WD SATA 120 drives..
>>

> Why doesn't anyone want to use EIDE drives? They are just as good, imo.
> That is the number one problem people are having, is related to SATA
> drivers.
>

> Wayne

Wayne Wastier

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> Obviously, you have not done your homework. SATA drives are faster
> than EIDE, and can be set up for maximum data security. However,
> with the introduction of NCQ on the IDE side, demand for SATA may
> well fall. NCQ enabled drives, when teamed with NCQ enabled
> motherboards, gives better *SUSTAINED* throughput than SATA, so will
> give better performance in the real world. SATA drives can deliver
> large amounts of data in BURST mode (up to 150MBps in SATA I and up
> to 300 MBps in SATA II), but are generally not faster than EIDE in
> sustained reads. However, SATA RAID configurations do offer
> advantages over an IDE array. Many who wish to play games, edit
> video, or use other disk intensive apps, may choose SATA. Those who
> need to ensure that their data is protected (by redundant "striping")
> will choose SATA.
> Bobby

I own a SATA drive, and for what I do, I see no difference. I work with
large files too, say 4gb. Of course, it is a SATA I drive, and is only 80GB.

Wayne

Wayne Wastier

Brand Western Digital
Series Caviar SE
Model WD800JD
Performance
Capacity 80GB
Cache 8MB
RPM 7200 RPM
Average Seek Time 8.9ms
Average Write Time 10.9ms
Average Latency 4.2ms
Interface Serial ATA150

Brand Maxtor
Series DiamondMax Plus 9
Model 6Y200P0
Performance
Capacity 200GB
Cache 8MB
RPM 7200 RPM
Average Seek Time 9.3ms
Average Latency 4.2ms
Interface IDE Ultra ATA133
Physical Spec
Form Factor 3.5"
Features
Features Shock Protection and Data Protection System
Warranty
Manufacturer Warranty 3 Years

Those are my two main drives. As you can see, there is little differences in speed between the two.

Wayne

NoNoBadDog!

You do not see any difference because you are using a single SATA drive. To get the speed benefit, you need two matched drives in a RAID array. Plus, the seek times do not indicate drive speed/throughput. If you had a properly configured RAID array, you would notice an increase in how fast the large files load. Of course, there are other variables we have not even mentioned, such as amount of RAM, type of processor, etc.

[...]

Naw, don't need to bother with a RAID array. Overkill is the operative word
here, for me that is. But thanks anyway.

Wayne