Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Not ready for prime time

Not ready for prime time

John Barnes

Since this is a gap system, Microsoft has assigned NOTHING to differentiate
it from XP. Therefore programs designated XP, may or may not install on
this system. Most of the programs I have tried to install which aren't
compatible say to contact the program supplier and stop. Last night I tried
to install a program for XP.
It got to the point of 'installing drivers' and it froze. It was using the
Windows InstallShield. The only way to stop it was to use task manager.
Figured I would do the same as XP32 and do a system restore, and delete its
files from the Programs file.
So far so good. There was a restore point set before the install. I
selected it and everything seemed fine, but when the system rebooted it
stopped with the desktop and no icons. I gave it an hour to finish the
restore and load the desktop, but nothing. I then turned off the computer
as no shutdown was available. No task bar and cntl/alt.delete didn't do
anything. The next time it loaded to the desktop with icons and taskbar.
However the taskbar has no field for running programs. Just the start,
quickstart (when enabled) notification area and clock (when enabled). The
network connections also disappeared and one installed program I tried to
run never finished loading and another said the media player was not
installed, while the windows media player would say insufficient memory when
only 179k out of 2 gig was being used.
Tried system restore, but it said it was not available to protect the
computer, to restart and run System Restore, but after 4 restarts with the
same problems, it is obvious that this won't work either.
At this point, it seems the only alternative I have is to wipe the partition
and reinstall x64 and then again those programs that will install.
Thankfully I kept my x32 license and only wasted $140 on a system that
virtually no programs will be written for (since they will be coding for
Longhorn) and Microsoft's own staff probably been shifted also leaving
another WindowsME situation. (all you have to do is listen to any computer
show on radio and you can hear what a disaster that was, though I personally
had no problems with it). Since I have a life other than playing with an
experimental system, I don't know when I will have the time to reload
everything.
Also it would be helpful to know what designation to look for in a program.
Windows 2000/2003/9x/XP
Windows 2000/XP
Windows XP
Windows (All)

Since this isn't built on the same code base as XP, what should we be
looking for?

Wayne Wastier

John, Windows XP Pro x64 can NOT install 32 bit drivers. It is a true 64 bit
operating system. It is built on the same codebase as Windows Server 2003
SP1 x64.

Most 32bit games will install, unless they need their own 32bit drivers.
Office XP, Avast Anti-Virus,Christ-TV, Cool Edit Pro 2.1, Flight Simulator
2004, Roxio 7.1.1 (Do a selective install and unselect Drag to Disc),
Winzip, Winrar, etc....

Wayne

John Barnes

Since there seems to be no way to determine which programs might have
drivers, windows installer should stop, give a message about incompatible
drivers and backout anything installed to that point, as it does with the
x32 XP. It should not freeze and destroy the system. A number of other
programs have messages at the start of the install that say it is
incompatible and to contact the program supplier about a newer version.
Don't know about you but when I get a reply about their intention of
providing a 64-bit version they say that the base is too small to make it
worth the effort. Thanks for the heads up on Roxio, does it burn DVD's or
just CD's?
I have reinstalled from a Ghost backup I had on 6-1 so haven't lost much. I
still have to use my x32 as to little that I use will install or function
properly on x64. It is just a toy system for me at this point, fewer
supported programs than Linnux.

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John, Windows XP Pro x64 can NOT install 32 bit drivers. It is a true 64
> bit operating system. It is built on the same codebase as Windows Server
> 2003 SP1 x64.
>
> Most 32bit games will install, unless they need their own 32bit drivers.
> Office XP, Avast Anti-Virus,Christ-TV, Cool Edit Pro 2.1, Flight Simulator
> 2004, Roxio 7.1.1 (Do a selective install and unselect Drag to Disc),
> Winzip, Winrar, etc....
>

> Wayne

Wayne Wastier

John Barnes wrote:
> Since there seems to be no way to determine which programs might have
> drivers, windows installer should stop, give a message about
> incompatible drivers and backout anything installed to that point, as
> it does with the x32 XP. It should not freeze and destroy the
> system. A number of other programs have messages at the start of the
> install that say it is incompatible and to contact the program
> supplier about a newer version. Don't know about you but when I get a
> reply about their intention of providing a 64-bit version they say
> that the base is too small to make it worth the effort. Thanks for
> the heads up on Roxio, does it burn DVD's or just CD's?
> I have reinstalled from a Ghost backup I had on 6-1 so haven't lost
> much. I still have to use my x32 as to little that I use will
> install or function properly on x64. It is just a toy system for me
> at this point, fewer supported programs than Linnux.

Roxio does burn both DVD's and CD's. Just about all of Symantec's programs
fail to work in XP x64. And Symantec is not the company it once was.

Here is what I do before I try to install any program either in XP Pro, or
XP Pro x64. I clear the all temp files from the HD, then create a restore
point, and reboot with minimal programs loaded by going into msconfig and
unticking all unecearry programs in the Startup folder. Then afte a good
install I go back into msconfig and tick Normal Startup under General and
reboot once more. However, if the install went awry, I do a restore and
reboot.

Wayne

Billie Volkova

Maybe it's just me but unless something specifically had the differential
Microsoft HAS assigned (You know, "x64 Edition"?) I wouldn't assume it would
work since it isn't noted to do so. Graphics drivers, sound drivers, Saitek
drivers, even Far Cry 64 all make specific "x64" references. Heck, even
Linux distro's use the "x64" `differential` to state compatibility.
Not Microsofts fault, much as I'd like to blame them, if 3rd parties aren't
tagging things with x64 Edition on their compatibility notes yet. It's a new
OS. They can't guarantee compatibility for software if the manufacturers
aren't.
B.V.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since this is a gap system, Microsoft has assigned NOTHING to
> differentiate it from XP. Therefore programs designated XP, may or may
> not install on this system. Most of the programs I have tried to install
> which aren't compatible say to contact the program supplier and stop.
> Last night I tried to install a program for XP.

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:07:19 +0100, "Billie Volkova"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not Microsofts fault, much as I'd like to blame them, if 3rd parties aren't
>tagging things with x64 Edition on their compatibility notes yet. It's a new
>OS. They can't guarantee compatibility for software if the manufacturers
>aren't.

That's exactly the problem. And it makes no sense to blame MS for
that, but rather it makes more sense to start e-mailing the
manufacturers of your (not you, Billie, specific, but in general)
hardware, and ask for 64-bit drivers. The more people do this, the
more they start seeing the need for it. But of course, this depends on
if the product you ask for, is still current.

jud

Christian Hougardy

Jud Hendrix <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 20:07:19 +0100, "Billie Volkova"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Not Microsofts fault, much as I'd like to blame them, if 3rd parties
>> aren't tagging things with x64 Edition on their compatibility notes
>> yet. It's a new OS. They can't guarantee compatibility for software
>> if the manufacturers aren't.

> That's exactly the problem. And it makes no sense to blame MS for
> that, but rather it makes more sense to start e-mailing the
> manufacturers of your (not you, Billie, specific, but in general)
> hardware, and ask for 64-bit drivers. The more people do this, the
> more they start seeing the need for it. But of course, this depends on
> if the product you ask for, is still current.
>
> jud

I can't agree more with you
Maybe we should start a list here and every day, one of us will send a mail
to a different manufacturer to ask for 64bit drivers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Wayne Wastier

Christian Hougardy wrote:

> I can't agree more with you
> Maybe we should start a list here and every day, one of us will send
> a mail to a different manufacturer to ask for 64bit drivers

You know I actually sent Viewsonic drivers that I decorated to show them how
it's done. They didn't even acknowledge receipt of my email, let alone post
any Windows XP x64 ready drivers on their site. Just to make sure, I resent
them a couple of weeks ago, but still no response.

Wayne

Jud Hendrix

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:02:31 +0200, "Christian Hougardy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Maybe we should start a list here and every day, one of us will send a mail
>to a different manufacturer to ask for 64bit drivers

LOL

Of course we need to keep the proper e-mail adressess on there, where
to send our requests.

jud

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Or create a little banner like the Download FireFox campaign to "Create
64-bit Drivers" that can be placed on popular websites such as Extended64,
ActiveWin, NeoWin, Bink, eWeek, Microsoft-Watch, Lockergnome.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com