Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > dvd/cd combo drive...

dvd/cd combo drive...

kevin

i'm having trouble getting xp64 to "see" burned dvds. my system is a
presario r3240us with amd athlon64 and xp64 os, with a combo cd-r/rw
dvd+r/rw drive (model hl-dt-st gca-4040n, apparently made by lg). i've used
several software apps to burn the data, with the latest run on vso's
copytodvd. each app shows progress and a completed task, but nothing shows
in win explorer at the end except a "blank cd". checking on another machine
running 32-bit xp pro, the data have been successfully burned to the dvd and
show up appropriately.the same pattern occurs despite using different discs
(all rated for the appropriate burn speed) made by different companies.

finally, movie-encoded dvds do play properly, whether triggered by autoplay
or manually started. and burned cds show up just fine.

any thoughts on why the machine isn't reading the dvd appropriately?

thanks,
kevin

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Maybe its a missing video codec.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"kevin" <kevin@cubs...inmylifetime?.com> wrote in message
news:Oc6js$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i'm having trouble getting xp64 to "see" burned dvds. my system is a
> presario r3240us with amd athlon64 and xp64 os, with a combo cd-r/rw
> dvd+r/rw drive (model hl-dt-st gca-4040n, apparently made by lg). i've
> used several software apps to burn the data, with the latest run on vso's
> copytodvd. each app shows progress and a completed task, but nothing shows
> in win explorer at the end except a "blank cd". checking on another
> machine running 32-bit xp pro, the data have been successfully burned to
> the dvd and show up appropriately.the same pattern occurs despite using
> different discs (all rated for the appropriate burn speed) made by
> different companies.
>
> finally, movie-encoded dvds do play properly, whether triggered by
> autoplay or manually started. and burned cds show up just fine.
>
> any thoughts on why the machine isn't reading the dvd appropriately?
>
> thanks,
> kevin

Charlie Russel - MVP

Until we get 64-bit DVD drivers, you'll only see what you're seeing. I don't
think anyone is currently shipping DVD burning software, and that's the
driver we need, I think. (I could be way off base here, but I know when I
asked Alex Feinman about when ISORecorder would do DVD burns, he said he
would have to wait for underlying support in the OS. So I take that to mean
we need a system level driver, and that would have to be 64-bit.)

You should be able to see DVDs that are burned by first creating an ISO
image, and then burning the image. The issue is software that treats the DVD
as a R/W data disk -- this is a different structure.

--
Charlie.

kevin wrote:
> i'm having trouble getting xp64 to "see" burned dvds. my system is a
> presario r3240us with amd athlon64 and xp64 os, with a combo cd-r/rw
> dvd+r/rw drive (model hl-dt-st gca-4040n, apparently made by lg).
> i've used several software apps to burn the data, with the latest run
> on vso's copytodvd. each app shows progress and a completed task, but
> nothing shows in win explorer at the end except a "blank cd".
> checking on another machine running 32-bit xp pro, the data have been
> successfully burned to the dvd and show up appropriately.the same
> pattern occurs despite using different discs (all rated for the
> appropriate burn speed) made by different companies.
> finally, movie-encoded dvds do play properly, whether triggered by
> autoplay or manually started. and burned cds show up just fine.
>
> any thoughts on why the machine isn't reading the dvd appropriately?
>
> thanks,
> kevin

kevin

thanks, charlie. i'll keep that in mind.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Until we get 64-bit DVD drivers, you'll only see what you're seeing. I
> don't think anyone is currently shipping DVD burning software, and that's
> the driver we need, I think. (I could be way off base here, but I know
> when I asked Alex Feinman about when ISORecorder would do DVD burns, he
> said he would have to wait for underlying support in the OS. So I take
> that to mean we need a system level driver, and that would have to be
> 64-bit.)
>
> You should be able to see DVDs that are burned by first creating an ISO
> image, and then burning the image. The issue is software that treats the
> DVD as a R/W data disk -- this is a different structure.
>

> --
> Charlie.
>
> kevin wrote:
>> i'm having trouble getting xp64 to "see" burned dvds. my system is a
>> presario r3240us with amd athlon64 and xp64 os, with a combo cd-r/rw
>> dvd+r/rw drive (model hl-dt-st gca-4040n, apparently made by lg).
>> i've used several software apps to burn the data, with the latest run
>> on vso's copytodvd. each app shows progress and a completed task, but
>> nothing shows in win explorer at the end except a "blank cd".
>> checking on another machine running 32-bit xp pro, the data have been
>> successfully burned to the dvd and show up appropriately.the same
>> pattern occurs despite using different discs (all rated for the
>> appropriate burn speed) made by different companies.
>> finally, movie-encoded dvds do play properly, whether triggered by
>> autoplay or manually started. and burned cds show up just fine.
>>
>> any thoughts on why the machine isn't reading the dvd appropriately?
>>
>> thanks,
>> kevin

Steve Thompson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Until we get 64-bit DVD drivers, you'll only see what you're seeing. I
> don't think anyone is currently shipping DVD burning software, and that's
> the driver we need, I think. (I could be way off base here, but I know
> when I asked Alex Feinman about when ISORecorder would do DVD burns, he
> said he would have to wait for underlying support in the OS. So I take
> that to mean we need a system level driver, and that would have to be
> 64-bit.)
>
> You should be able to see DVDs that are burned by first creating an ISO
> image, and then burning the image. The issue is software that treats the
> DVD as a R/W data disk -- this is a different structure.

I have't had any problems, as of yet, running Nero Ultra Edition 6.6. But
then again, I haven't had used ALL of the features yet under x64 pro but
burning / copiying CD's and DVD's posed no problems. If perhaps you need
additional CODEC's you can find a link here in the downloads section
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?download=238. But you will have to
register on this site (it's easy no problem). www.planetamd64.com seems to
be the best place for drivers / apps / discussions etc... for the 64 bit
platform.

Cheers,

Steve