Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 3thd sata

3thd sata

Christian Hougardy

Hi guys,

I have two IDE HD and two sataHD (via raid). I would like to install a third
sata. How can I do that ?
Can I use the promise raid connector ?
Any help welcome

Thanks

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

RonK

Use the Promise and make sure the promise is enabled in bios.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
>
> I have two IDE HD and two sataHD (via raid). I would like to install a
> third sata. How can I do that ?
> Can I use the promise raid connector ?
> Any help welcome
>
> Thanks
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\)

RonK wrote:
> Use the Promise and make sure the promise is enabled in bios.

Thank you for your answer. Doesn't work. Don't know why.
I have the promise driver, the sata is connected, the bios is ok but no disk

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif

RonK

When booting go into the Promise Setup to setup the hard drive.
After you do this and it boots into XP, right click My Computer, Manage,
Disk Management and you can partition and format the drive.

"Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RonK wrote:
>> Use the Promise and make sure the promise is enabled in bios.
>>

> Thank you for your answer. Doesn't work. Don't know why.
> I have the promise driver, the sata is connected, the bios is ok but no
> disk
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Christian Hougardy

RonK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When booting go into the Promise Setup to setup the hard drive.
> After you do this and it boots into XP, right click My Computer, Manage,
> Disk Management and you can partition and format the drive.

Excuse me, probably I wasn't clear enough: no disk at all, it doesn't work.
I know how to install or format a disk, but first of all, it has to be
detected by the bios and the OS. It is not the case.

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Christian Hougardy

Christian Hougardy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> RonK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> When booting go into the Promise Setup to setup the hard drive.
>> After you do this and it boots into XP, right click My Computer,
>> Manage, Disk Management and you can partition and format the drive.

> Excuse me, probably I wasn't clear enough: no disk at all, it doesn't
> work. I know how to install or format a disk, but first of all, it
> has to be detected by the bios and the OS. It is not the case.

Ok, some improvement: it's working under XP32.
First, I had a problem with the power supply.
Second: XP detects the Promise FastTrak 378 in place of the Promise SATA378.
Once the second one replaces the first one, it is ok.
Third; what I need now is the Promise SATA378 Controller(AMD64) and so far I
didn't find it....

Any help welcome

Thanks

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif

RonK

SATA drives are not detected in the bios.

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> RonK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> When booting go into the Promise Setup to setup the hard drive.
>> After you do this and it boots into XP, right click My Computer, Manage,
>> Disk Management and you can partition and format the drive.

> Excuse me, probably I wasn't clear enough: no disk at all, it doesn't
> work.
> I know how to install or format a disk, but first of all, it has to be
> detected by the bios and the OS. It is not the case.
>

> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Christian Hougardy

RonK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> SATA drives are not detected in the bios.

Sure buddy, sure....
--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif

R. C. White

Hi, Christian.

Right!

Depends on your hardware, of course. My EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo has 6 onboard SATA
connectors. Two of them are supported by the standard nVidia nForce3 250Gb
chipset; the other 4 are supported by the optional Silicon Image SiI3114
chip. I've not had occasion to try the SiI connectors yet, but my one SATA
HD (Maxtor 120 GB) is detected by the BIOS and displays on the opening
screen when I boot. Settings for all six connectors are available in CMOS
and, if I ever get rich enough to buy that many drives, I expect they all
will be detected by the BIOS if those settings are correct.

Now, if the SATA controller were on an add-in PCI card, I would not expect
the mobo BIOS to recognize their drives. My SCSI HD is detected only after
the SCSI BIOS on the add-in Adaptec host adapter is loaded - on the second
page as the computer is booting. (In fact, my Adaptec AHA-2930U2 is not yet
supported in 64-bit Windows - which is why I'm retiring it and installing
the new SATA as my main boot device.)

You've not yet told us much about your hardware, Christian. What make and
model mobo? Any SATA built in? Or do you have SATA only on one or more
add-in cards? The answer to your original question depends on that
information.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:us$(E-Mail Removed)...
> RonK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> SATA drives are not detected in the bios.
>>

> Sure buddy, sure....
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Christian Hougardy

R. C. White <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, Christian.
>
> Right!

(snip)

Hi RC

Sorry for not telling about my mobo.
It's a A8V Deluxe, with two via sata and two promise sata. All the sata's
are detected by the bios during setup.
I can see the 5 disks (3 sata and 2 ide)
In Win32bit, the promise uses the SATA378 controller, not the Fasttrack378
Controller. Because the promise are not in raid but are acting as IDE. So, I
assume I need the same driver with x64, in 64bit of course and I can't find
it.

Thank you