Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Sidewinder Gotcha!

Sidewinder Gotcha!

Bigbruva

I know 64bit is targeted as a serious workstation OS but I thought I would
pass on my latest 64bit gotcha!
I plugged in my Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel for the first time since
upgrading and...nothing.
After checking the Microsoft Web site I remembered the hardware was
discontinued a year or so back so I guess the drivers for them when never
ported.
Therefore ALL Microsoft sidewinder games controllers will not work in
Win64...ever!

So if you have any of the following sidewinder hardware get ready to through
them away if you upgrade to Win64:

FreeStyle Pro
Game Pad
Force Feedback Pro
Precision Pro
Standard
Force Feedback Wheel

....I love my Force Feedback Wheel <sniff>

BB

M. Murcek

You never know. MS probably won't do anything about it, but some
enterprising enthusiast who codes drivers might do it for a laugh.

"Bigbruva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OUDlt%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know 64bit is targeted as a serious workstation OS but I thought I would
>pass on my latest 64bit gotcha!
> I plugged in my Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel for the first time since
> upgrading and...nothing.
> After checking the Microsoft Web site I remembered the hardware was
> discontinued a year or so back so I guess the drivers for them when never
> ported.
> Therefore ALL Microsoft sidewinder games controllers will not work in
> Win64...ever!
>
> So if you have any of the following sidewinder hardware get ready to
> through them away if you upgrade to Win64:
>
> FreeStyle Pro
> Game Pad
> Force Feedback Pro
> Precision Pro
> Standard
> Force Feedback Wheel
>
> ...I love my Force Feedback Wheel <sniff>
>
> BB

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Or you could make a sacrifice and keep and existing Windows XP 32-Bit
environment for just it.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Bigbruva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OUDlt%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I know 64bit is targeted as a serious workstation OS but I thought I would
>pass on my latest 64bit gotcha!
> I plugged in my Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel for the first time since
> upgrading and...nothing.
> After checking the Microsoft Web site I remembered the hardware was
> discontinued a year or so back so I guess the drivers for them when never
> ported.
> Therefore ALL Microsoft sidewinder games controllers will not work in
> Win64...ever!
>
> So if you have any of the following sidewinder hardware get ready to
> through them away if you upgrade to Win64:
>
> FreeStyle Pro
> Game Pad
> Force Feedback Pro
> Precision Pro
> Standard
> Force Feedback Wheel
>
> ...I love my Force Feedback Wheel <sniff>
>
> BB

Bigbruva

Just reinstalling my old copy of Win32 on a new partition right now

Colin McRae Rally 2005 and an FF Steering wheel is just too good to give up
just yet

BB
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Or you could make a sacrifice and keep and existing Windows XP 32-Bit
> environment for just it.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Bigbruva" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OUDlt%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I know 64bit is targeted as a serious workstation OS but I thought I would
>>pass on my latest 64bit gotcha!
>> I plugged in my Microsoft Force Feedback Wheel for the first time since
>> upgrading and...nothing.
>> After checking the Microsoft Web site I remembered the hardware was
>> discontinued a year or so back so I guess the drivers for them when never
>> ported.
>> Therefore ALL Microsoft sidewinder games controllers will not work in
>> Win64...ever!
>>
>> So if you have any of the following sidewinder hardware get ready to
>> through them away if you upgrade to Win64:
>>
>> FreeStyle Pro
>> Game Pad
>> Force Feedback Pro
>> Precision Pro
>> Standard
>> Force Feedback Wheel
>>
>> ...I love my Force Feedback Wheel <sniff>
>>
>> BB

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

> >> So if you have any of the following sidewinder hardware get ready to
> >> through them away if you upgrade to Win64:
> >>
> >> FreeStyle Pro
> >> Game Pad
> >> Force Feedback Pro
> >> Precision Pro
> >> Standard
> >> Force Feedback Wheel

Just out of curiosity, I seached sidewinder x64 on google and saw this :
http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversi...php/t4437.html
....thats strange cos my Sidewinder Precidion Pro II USB joystick works in
x64 .. maybe its cos its USB and uses a generic driver ...