Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Drivers for wireless NICs/Adpaters?

Drivers for wireless NICs/Adpaters?

=?Utf-8?B?V2FycmVuIFo=?=

Does anybody know a vendor who has wireless NIC/Adapter drivers that work
with XP64? Our 3Com adapters don't and 3Com says no time soon for any of
their wireless products. Same with Netgear, Belkin, and HP per calls to
presale tech sup this morning.

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

I don't know about the chipset on the 3Com but the Linksys Wireless-G works
fine with the Ralink 64 bit drivers who make the chipsets for many cards.

http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

3rd section down, 11g-RT2500

Worth giving them a try.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Warren Z" <Warren http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know a vendor who has wireless NIC/Adapter drivers that work
> with XP64? Our 3Com adapters don't and 3Com says no time soon for any of
> their wireless products. Same with Netgear, Belkin, and HP per calls to
> presale tech sup this morning.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

From Chris:
The Belkin F5D7001 802.11g wireless network card is working fine in my
system. The card was recognized by X64 and shows up in device manager
as a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter. If I recall, I picked the card up
at my local CompUSA.

also From BK:
It seems Realtek has finally released wireless drivers:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True

Download links:

ftp://210.51.181.211/cn/wlan/rtl8180...174)(0523).zip

ftp://202.65.194.18/cn/wlan/rtl8180l...174)(0523).zip

ftp://152.104.238.194/cn/wlan/rtl818...174)(0523).zip
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Warren Z" <Warren (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know a vendor who has wireless NIC/Adapter drivers that work
> with XP64? Our 3Com adapters don't and 3Com says no time soon for any of
> their wireless products. Same with Netgear, Belkin, and HP per calls to
> presale tech sup this morning.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

As AMD and Microsoft thought since December 2002 that x64 is a small niche
market, no serious effort was made to update amd.com or microsoft.com
dedicated pages with up-to-date information, hence the numerous postings.
Bastian Noffer started http://www.computerdolt.com/xpamd64 a while back,
allowing to cultivate various pages in Wiki form, but the site was apparently
abandoned, even though I started populating pages with lists native drivers,
portions of which I saw later on extended64.com

I posted earlier on this ng a list of the Ralink 2500 supported cards,
including PCMCIA. You have to be very careful when buying, as a vendor might
change chipsets every now and then, so for instance if you pick Belkin at
your local Staples, ensure that the PCMCIA card or the PCI card has a
"version 3001" sticker under the box.
Another example is Linksys , that for instance uses the Ralink 2500 chipset
in version 4 of the WMP54G , but this is not publicized at all, and even
though the ralinktech.com x64 driver works with the card, the Linksys
config/scanning utility disregards it, so you have to use the built-in XP64
detection, which is not as convenient. On the other hand, version 2 of WMP54G
featured apparently a Broadcom chipset, which was supported by CPP 1218, at
reduced speed (probably due to the usual debug code in prelim. drivers), and
then RTM did not include any driver (!). It seems I read also on this NG that
the WMP54GS (speedbooster) works with the BCM43xx Broadcom driver included in
RTM, which indicates that the Broadcam chipset is not the same as the one in
the WMP54G v2.
I personally prefer to use MS native drivers for debug purpose, but Ralink
made it much easier for customers.

Hopefully someone can make a site that x64 users can populate with
information about the level of support under the four RTM x64 OS (Pro, Std,
EE, DC), and maybe CPP coverage in case one needs rollback.
An interesting example is the RAGE XL video drivers, present in EE RTM, but
not in Pro RTM....

Good luck,

Christopher

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Good information Chris.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As AMD and Microsoft thought since December 2002 that x64 is a small niche
> market, no serious effort was made to update amd.com or microsoft.com
> dedicated pages with up-to-date information, hence the numerous postings.
> Bastian Noffer started http://www.computerdolt.com/xpamd64 a while back,
> allowing to cultivate various pages in Wiki form, but the site was
> apparently
> abandoned, even though I started populating pages with lists native
> drivers,
> portions of which I saw later on extended64.com
>
> I posted earlier on this ng a list of the Ralink 2500 supported cards,
> including PCMCIA. You have to be very careful when buying, as a vendor
> might
> change chipsets every now and then, so for instance if you pick Belkin at
> your local Staples, ensure that the PCMCIA card or the PCI card has a
> "version 3001" sticker under the box.
> Another example is Linksys , that for instance uses the Ralink 2500
> chipset
> in version 4 of the WMP54G , but this is not publicized at all, and even
> though the ralinktech.com x64 driver works with the card, the Linksys
> config/scanning utility disregards it, so you have to use the built-in
> XP64
> detection, which is not as convenient. On the other hand, version 2 of
> WMP54G
> featured apparently a Broadcom chipset, which was supported by CPP 1218,
> at
> reduced speed (probably due to the usual debug code in prelim. drivers),
> and
> then RTM did not include any driver (!). It seems I read also on this NG
> that
> the WMP54GS (speedbooster) works with the BCM43xx Broadcom driver included
> in
> RTM, which indicates that the Broadcam chipset is not the same as the one
> in
> the WMP54G v2.
> I personally prefer to use MS native drivers for debug purpose, but Ralink
> made it much easier for customers.
>
> Hopefully someone can make a site that x64 users can populate with
> information about the level of support under the four RTM x64 OS (Pro,
> Std,
> EE, DC), and maybe CPP coverage in case one needs rollback.
> An interesting example is the RAGE XL video drivers, present in EE RTM,
> but
> not in Pro RTM....
>
> Good luck,
>
> Christopher

Charlie Russel - MVP

Now here's a useful thing you could do, Andre, with your new affiliation with
Extended64 -- set up a forum/file there that has the latest Wireless
information that we could point folks to. That would be a useful service,
since I'm not seeing it anywhere else.

--
Charlie.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Good information Chris.
>
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> As AMD and Microsoft thought since December 2002 that x64 is a small
>> niche market, no serious effort was made to update amd.com or
>> microsoft.com dedicated pages with up-to-date information, hence the
>> numerous postings. Bastian Noffer started
>> http://www.computerdolt.com/xpamd64 a while back, allowing to
>> cultivate various pages in Wiki form, but the site was apparently
>> abandoned, even though I started populating pages with lists native
>> drivers,
>> portions of which I saw later on extended64.com
>>
>> I posted earlier on this ng a list of the Ralink 2500 supported
>> cards, including PCMCIA. You have to be very careful when buying, as
>> a vendor might
>> change chipsets every now and then, so for instance if you pick
>> Belkin at your local Staples, ensure that the PCMCIA card or the PCI
>> card has a "version 3001" sticker under the box.
>> Another example is Linksys , that for instance uses the Ralink 2500
>> chipset
>> in version 4 of the WMP54G , but this is not publicized at all, and
>> even though the ralinktech.com x64 driver works with the card, the
>> Linksys config/scanning utility disregards it, so you have to use
>> the built-in XP64
>> detection, which is not as convenient. On the other hand, version 2
>> of WMP54G
>> featured apparently a Broadcom chipset, which was supported by CPP
>> 1218, at
>> reduced speed (probably due to the usual debug code in prelim.
>> drivers), and
>> then RTM did not include any driver (!). It seems I read also on
>> this NG that
>> the WMP54GS (speedbooster) works with the BCM43xx Broadcom driver
>> included in
>> RTM, which indicates that the Broadcam chipset is not the same as
>> the one in
>> the WMP54G v2.
>> I personally prefer to use MS native drivers for debug purpose, but
>> Ralink made it much easier for customers.
>>
>> Hopefully someone can make a site that x64 users can populate with
>> information about the level of support under the four RTM x64 OS
>> (Pro, Std,
>> EE, DC), and maybe CPP coverage in case one needs rollback.
>> An interesting example is the RAGE XL video drivers, present in EE
>> RTM, but
>> not in Pro RTM....
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Christopher

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> Now here's a useful thing you could do, Andre, with your new affiliation with
> Extended64 -- set up a forum/file there that has the latest Wireless
> information that we could point folks to. That would be a useful service,
> since I'm not seeing it anywhere else.
>
> --
> Charlie.

My take on this is that it would rather be a shared repository, so that many
users could cultivate in in real time, using a simple front-end. That's
probably why NG became targets (it's a 2-way street for drivers support).
It might be tedious for André to code tens of thousands of lines (just
about 3200 for native printers), even with the mention of which of the 4 RTM
x64 OS supports it, and then the mention of which CPP might have had the
driver....
Also one should hope that x64 opposers will not try to take the site down.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I wasn't asking for printers, just wireless. But I get the point. OTOH, using
pure end-user reported data has its own problems -- look at some of the
reports here that turn out to be some other problem.

--
Charlie.

Chris wrote:
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>> Now here's a useful thing you could do, Andre, with your new
>> affiliation with Extended64 -- set up a forum/file there that has
>> the latest Wireless information that we could point folks to. That
>> would be a useful service, since I'm not seeing it anywhere else.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.

> My take on this is that it would rather be a shared repository, so
> that many users could cultivate in in real time, using a simple
> front-end. That's probably why NG became targets (it's a 2-way street
> for drivers support). It might be tedious for André to code tens of
> thousands of lines (just about 3200 for native printers), even with
> the mention of which of the 4 RTM x64 OS supports it, and then the
> mention of which CPP might have had the driver....
> Also one should hope that x64 opposers will not try to take the site
> down.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Ok Charlie, will do.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I wasn't asking for printers, just wireless. But I get the point. OTOH,
>using pure end-user reported data has its own problems -- look at some of
>the reports here that turn out to be some other problem.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Chris wrote:
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>> Now here's a useful thing you could do, Andre, with your new
>>> affiliation with Extended64 -- set up a forum/file there that has
>>> the latest Wireless information that we could point folks to. That
>>> would be a useful service, since I'm not seeing it anywhere else.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.

>> My take on this is that it would rather be a shared repository, so
>> that many users could cultivate in in real time, using a simple
>> front-end. That's probably why NG became targets (it's a 2-way street
>> for drivers support). It might be tedious for André to code tens of
>> thousands of lines (just about 3200 for native printers), even with
>> the mention of which of the 4 RTM x64 OS supports it, and then the
>> mention of which CPP might have had the driver....
>> Also one should hope that x64 opposers will not try to take the site
>> down.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Cool. Thanks!