Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > HP Laserjet x64 Drivers..... not!

HP Laserjet x64 Drivers..... not!

Mark Reis

I was wondering if anyone has been able to find HP laserjet 9050 printer
drivers for XP x64. While browsing HPs site, I found the following driver:

Listed as: Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
file name: lj9040-9050psxp64-200364-en.exe

Now this driver fails to install and if you dig into the printer driver
inf you see that it is only for the IA64.

[HPC9050S.PPD.NTia64]

Now according to the MS requirements page, IA64 bit is not supported by
XP x64 (however the tech on HP live chat attempted to say that the HP
driver only supported IA64).....

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/sysreqs.mspx

We'll have to see if they still keep the link up.... All I have to say
is Argh!

-Mark

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well, there are persons or company's that might just happen to be running
Windows XP 64-Bit for IA64, who might just happen to have a HP laserjet 9050
printer.

I consider Itanium 64 bit to be true 64 bit, x64 is just an extension (a
powerful one) added to the x86 line of processors from AMD and Intel.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Mark Reis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering if anyone has been able to find HP laserjet 9050 printer
>drivers for XP x64. While browsing HPs site, I found the following driver:
>
> Listed as: Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
> file name: lj9040-9050psxp64-200364-en.exe
>

> Now this driver fails to install and if you dig into the printer driver
> inf you see that it is only for the IA64.
>
> [HPC9050S.PPD.NTia64]
>
> Now according to the MS requirements page, IA64 bit is not supported by XP
> x64 (however the tech on HP live chat attempted to say that the HP driver
> only supported IA64).....
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/sysreqs.mspx
>
> We'll have to see if they still keep the link up.... All I have to say is
> Argh!
>
> -Mark

Charlie Russel - MVP

Mark -- well, technically, that listing is correct. The "XP 64-bit Edition"
is the old ia64 version. Nice that the did a driver for it, but useless for
those of us running XP x64 Edition. They are two very different products, and
the x64 Edition is the only one currently available. Microsoft has decided
(correctly, IMHO) that they will not release further versions of the client
(ie, XP) that support the Itanium architecture.

--
Charlie.

Mark Reis wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has been able to find HP laserjet 9050
> printer drivers for XP x64. While browsing HPs site, I found the
> following driver:
> Listed as: Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
> file name: lj9040-9050psxp64-200364-en.exe
>

> Now this driver fails to install and if you dig into the printer
> driver inf you see that it is only for the IA64.
>
> [HPC9050S.PPD.NTia64]
>
> Now according to the MS requirements page, IA64 bit is not supported
> by XP x64 (however the tech on HP live chat attempted to say that the
> HP driver only supported IA64).....
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/sysreqs.mspx
>
> We'll have to see if they still keep the link up.... All I have to say
> is Argh!
>
> -Mark

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

But wouldn't that Printer driver for XP IA64 also work with Server 2003 IA64
too Charlie?

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark -- well, technically, that listing is correct. The "XP 64-bit
> Edition" is the old ia64 version. Nice that the did a driver for it, but
> useless for those of us running XP x64 Edition. They are two very
> different products, and the x64 Edition is the only one currently
> available. Microsoft has decided (correctly, IMHO) that they will not
> release further versions of the client (ie, XP) that support the Itanium
> architecture.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Mark Reis wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone has been able to find HP laserjet 9050
>> printer drivers for XP x64. While browsing HPs site, I found the
>> following driver:
>> Listed as: Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
>> file name: lj9040-9050psxp64-200364-en.exe
>>

>> Now this driver fails to install and if you dig into the printer
>> driver inf you see that it is only for the IA64.
>>
>> [HPC9050S.PPD.NTia64]
>>
>> Now according to the MS requirements page, IA64 bit is not supported
>> by XP x64 (however the tech on HP live chat attempted to say that the
>> HP driver only supported IA64).....
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/sysreqs.mspx
>>
>> We'll have to see if they still keep the link up.... All I have to say
>> is Argh!
>>
>> -Mark

Mark Reis

Hello Andre,

I understand the semantics between the IA64 and x64 architectures.

My point is that IA64 is not supported in the official Windows XP 64
launch. The last version of XP for IA64 I found on the MSDN download
site was a beta build listed in 2003 (MS also confirmed that they nix'd
IA64 support in XP back in January). My point was that HP recently
released (April 1 2005) a driver for Windows XP 64 bit version that only
contained IA64 support. It just seems silly that HP would release a
driver on April 1 that it would contain the IA64 drivers for a old and
unsupported beta OS.

-Mark

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Well, there are persons or company's that might just happen to be running
> Windows XP 64-Bit for IA64, who might just happen to have a HP laserjet 9050
> printer.
>
> I consider Itanium 64 bit to be true 64 bit, x64 is just an extension (a
> powerful one) added to the x86 line of processors from AMD and Intel.

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, it should, though there are some differences between the two. And that's
why it should remain available for ia64 customers. But nothing will make it
work on x64, I'm reasonably sure -- VERY different architectures.

--
Charlie.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> But wouldn't that Printer driver for XP IA64 also work with Server
> 2003 IA64 too Charlie?
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mark -- well, technically, that listing is correct. The "XP 64-bit
>> Edition" is the old ia64 version. Nice that the did a driver for it,
>> but useless for those of us running XP x64 Edition. They are two very
>> different products, and the x64 Edition is the only one currently
>> available. Microsoft has decided (correctly, IMHO) that they will not
>> release further versions of the client (ie, XP) that support the
>> Itanium architecture.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> Mark Reis wrote:
>>> I was wondering if anyone has been able to find HP laserjet 9050
>>> printer drivers for XP x64. While browsing HPs site, I found the
>>> following driver:
>>> Listed as: Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
>>> file name: lj9040-9050psxp64-200364-en.exe
>>>

>>> Now this driver fails to install and if you dig into the printer
>>> driver inf you see that it is only for the IA64.
>>>
>>> [HPC9050S.PPD.NTia64]
>>>
>>> Now according to the MS requirements page, IA64 bit is not supported
>>> by XP x64 (however the tech on HP live chat attempted to say that
>>> the HP driver only supported IA64).....
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...n/sysreqs.mspx
>>>
>>> We'll have to see if they still keep the link up.... All I have to
>>> say is Argh!
>>>
>>> -Mark

Rick

Perhaps it's only partially illogical. Don't forget there is an Itanium
version of Windows Server 2003 and that driver would be useful on that
system.

You can download a Trial version at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...l/default.mspx

Trial CD
The following trial versions of Windows Server 2003 are available on CD:

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition with SP1 (32-bit)

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition (64-bit)

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition with SP1 for Itanium-based
Systems (64-bit)

Mark Reis wrote:
> Hello Andre,
>
> I understand the semantics between the IA64 and x64 architectures.
>
> My point is that IA64 is not supported in the official Windows XP 64
> launch. The last version of XP for IA64 I found on the MSDN download
> site was a beta build listed in 2003 (MS also confirmed that they nix'd
> IA64 support in XP back in January). My point was that HP recently
> released (April 1 2005) a driver for Windows XP 64 bit version that only
> contained IA64 support. It just seems silly that HP would release a
> driver on April 1 that it would contain the IA64 drivers for a old and
> unsupported beta OS.
>
> -Mark
>

> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>
>> Well, there are persons or company's that might just happen to be
>> running Windows XP 64-Bit for IA64, who might just happen to have a HP
>> laserjet 9050 printer.
>>
>> I consider Itanium 64 bit to be true 64 bit, x64 is just an extension
>> (a powerful one) added to the x86 line of processors from AMD and Intel.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

So, you are saying then IA64 will forever be relegated to the Server and
never come back to the desktop not even as an evolution of Intels processor
line.

I'm thinking of IA64 more like what NT was at one time, only for businesses
but eventually it slowly began to creep into even home environments because
people realized it was a reliable OS and soon Microsoft standardized it with
XP by making it the default architecture for all future versions of Windows.

Wouldn't you see a similar approach happening at Intel maybe? Yes,
application performance and support has to be there, but don't you think
Intel might say 5 to 10 years from now start promoting it as the true 64 bit
platform heralded in performance on the Server?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, it should, though there are some differences between the two. And
> that's why it should remain available for ia64 customers. But nothing will
> make it work on x64, I'm reasonably sure -- VERY different architectures.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> But wouldn't that Printer driver for XP IA64 also work with Server
>> 2003 IA64 too Charlie?
>>

>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Mark -- well, technically, that listing is correct. The "XP 64-bit
>>> Edition" is the old ia64 version. Nice that the did a driver for it,
>>> but useless for those of us running XP x64 Edition. They are two very
>>> different products, and the x64 Edition is the only one currently
>>> available. Microsoft has decided (correctly, IMHO) that they will not
>>> release further versions of the client (ie, XP) that support the
>>> Itanium architecture.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well, its HP, they help co-develop the processor with Intel, so its probably
a hidden evangelism for the virtues of IA64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Mark Reis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Andre,
>
> I understand the semantics between the IA64 and x64 architectures.
>
> My point is that IA64 is not supported in the official Windows XP 64
> launch. The last version of XP for IA64 I found on the MSDN download site
> was a beta build listed in 2003 (MS also confirmed that they nix'd IA64
> support in XP back in January). My point was that HP recently released
> (April 1 2005) a driver for Windows XP 64 bit version that only contained
> IA64 support. It just seems silly that HP would release a driver on April
> 1 that it would contain the IA64 drivers for a old and unsupported beta
> OS.
>
> -Mark
>

> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Well, there are persons or company's that might just happen to be running
>> Windows XP 64-Bit for IA64, who might just happen to have a HP laserjet
>> 9050 printer.
>>
>> I consider Itanium 64 bit to be true 64 bit, x64 is just an extension (a
>> powerful one) added to the x86 line of processors from AMD and Intel.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Frankly, no, I don't see a client future for ia64. I may be wrong, but
certainly MS has backed off it and shows no inclination to return to ia64 for
the client any time soon.

5-10 years? You must be joking. I would never presume to speculate on what
might be used in that time frame. But I rather doubt the Itanium is the
solution even in that time frame. There is still a LOT of headroom on the x64
architecture, and additional ways they can go with it. Plus you have both AMD
and Intel driving it, as opposed to Intel on their own.

--
Charlie.