Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Trouble installing XP Professional x64

Trouble installing XP Professional x64

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyY3Vz?=

Hi,

I ordered the CDROM of the trial for the above, arrived today so tried to
install it. The thing is, my PC won't recognise the hard drive. I've tried
the F6 option to install drivers and it just gives up on me!

Do I need to fetch a specific 64-bit driver for my system?

Current spec:
Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz
1GB RAM
WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI Disk Hard Drive, 200GB
VIA SCSI ATA RAID Controller (although I don't think I have set RAID up...)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yep, and the place to check is, http://planetamd64.com to bypass
registration, use http://bugmenot.com
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I ordered the CDROM of the trial for the above, arrived today so tried to
> install it. The thing is, my PC won't recognise the hard drive. I've tried
> the F6 option to install drivers and it just gives up on me!
>
> Do I need to fetch a specific 64-bit driver for my system?
>
> Current spec:
> Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz
> 1GB RAM
> WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI Disk Hard Drive, 200GB
> VIA SCSI ATA RAID Controller (although I don't think I have set RAID
> up...)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, you need a specific driver for your machine. You don't specify which
motherboard you have, and you list the WDC as a SCSI drive, which is wrong --
it's a SATA (Serial ATA) drive. But if your SATA drive is connected to a VIA
controller (again, there is no such thing as a VIA SCSI ATA RAID controller,
but I'm guessing again that we have a SATA RAID controller), then you need to
go to viaarena.com and download the latest drivers for you controller.
http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2 and select the Windows 64-bit,
IDE,RAID &SATA. Then select your controller and download the file. You'll
need to copy it to floppy so you can use it with the F6 option.

--
Charlie.

Marcus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ordered the CDROM of the trial for the above, arrived today so
> tried to install it. The thing is, my PC won't recognise the hard
> drive. I've tried the F6 option to install drivers and it just gives
> up on me!
>
> Do I need to fetch a specific 64-bit driver for my system?
>
> Current spec:
> Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz
> 1GB RAM
> WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI Disk Hard Drive, 200GB
> VIA SCSI ATA RAID Controller (although I don't think I have set RAID
> up...)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

Can you be a little more specific on the controller? Is it built onto
your motherboard or a separate card? If on-board, could you please
provide motherboard details, thanks!

Rafael Rivera
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

Marcus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ordered the CDROM of the trial for the above, arrived today so tried to
> install it. The thing is, my PC won't recognise the hard drive. I've tried
> the F6 option to install drivers and it just gives up on me!
>
> Do I need to fetch a specific 64-bit driver for my system?
>
> Current spec:
> Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz
> 1GB RAM
> WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI Disk Hard Drive, 200GB
> VIA SCSI ATA RAID Controller (although I don't think I have set RAID up...)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?THVrZQ==?=

Hi,

Yes you will have to get the drivers (64 bit) from the manafacture of the
hardware (and run the F6 option during setup), but not only for this device
but most on your system. It's painfull at this early stage, but well worth
the effort!

Luke

"Marcus" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I ordered the CDROM of the trial for the above, arrived today so tried to
> install it. The thing is, my PC won't recognise the hard drive. I've tried
> the F6 option to install drivers and it just gives up on me!
>
> Do I need to fetch a specific 64-bit driver for my system?
>
> Current spec:
> Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz
> 1GB RAM
> WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI Disk Hard Drive, 200GB
> VIA SCSI ATA RAID Controller (although I don't think I have set RAID up...)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Lets hope it gets better by the end of the year at least.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Luke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Yes you will have to get the drivers (64 bit) from the manafacture of the
> hardware (and run the F6 option during setup), but not only for this
> device
> but most on your system. It's painfull at this early stage, but well worth
> the effort!
>
> Luke
>
> "Marcus" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I ordered the CDROM of the trial for the above, arrived today so tried to
>> install it. The thing is, my PC won't recognise the hard drive. I've
>> tried
>> the F6 option to install drivers and it just gives up on me!
>>
>> Do I need to fetch a specific 64-bit driver for my system?
>>
>> Current spec:
>> Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz
>> 1GB RAM
>> WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI Disk Hard Drive, 200GB
>> VIA SCSI ATA RAID Controller (although I don't think I have set RAID
>> up...)
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

Let's hope people read the NG by the end of the year, at least.

--
Charlie.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Lets hope it gets better by the end of the year at least.
>
> "Luke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yes you will have to get the drivers (64 bit) from the manafacture
>> of the hardware (and run the F6 option during setup), but not only
>> for this device
>> but most on your system. It's painfull at this early stage, but well
>> worth the effort!
>>
>> Luke
>>
>> "Marcus" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I ordered the CDROM of the trial for the above, arrived today so
>>> tried to install it. The thing is, my PC won't recognise the hard
>>> drive. I've tried
>>> the F6 option to install drivers and it just gives up on me!
>>>
>>> Do I need to fetch a specific 64-bit driver for my system?
>>>
>>> Current spec:
>>> Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4GHz
>>> 1GB RAM
>>> WDC WD20 00JD-00HBB0 SCSI Disk Hard Drive, 200GB
>>> VIA SCSI ATA RAID Controller (although I don't think I have set RAID
>>> up...)
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Thats a tough one Charlie.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Let's hope people read the NG by the end of the year, at least.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> Lets hope it gets better by the end of the year at least.
>>
>> "Luke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Yes you will have to get the drivers (64 bit) from the manafacture
>>> of the hardware (and run the F6 option during setup), but not only
>>> for this device
>>> but most on your system. It's painfull at this early stage, but well
>>> worth the effort!
>>>
>>> Luke

Jud Hendrix

On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:30:02 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Let's hope people read the NG by the end of the year, at least.

Seems they can't even read yesterday's messages already

jud

Christian Hougardy [MVP]

"Jud Hendrix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:30:02 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Let's hope people read the NG by the end of the year, at least.

> Seems they can't even read yesterday's messages already
>
> jud

Jud,

I'm not even sure that all of them read the answers

--
Christian Hougardy [MS MVP XP]
Johannesburg - South Africa