Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > BSOD error when installing

BSOD error when installing

=?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=

Ok. I thought I'd try to get to the bottom of some BSOD errors I've been
getting. My system info is:
AMD FX-53
Abit AV8 MOBO using bios v17
2 SATA 160GB Western Digital HDs (non-raid configuration)
NVIDIA GeForce FX-5500
1 GB RAM (2x512MB)
HP Deskjet 935c Printer
Hauppage PVR-350 tv tuner card (not supported yet)
Logitech Messenger web cam (not supported yet)
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Kensington PilotMouse Optical Wireless

I have an OEM x64 cd that I purchased from on online vendor. My latest
problem is just trying to reinstall x64. I press F6 when the setup starts and
load the VIA Hyperion Pro v500 SATA drivers from floppy disk. I make it
through loading the files for set up. Where that should finish and the PC
should restart to finish the installation I'm getting a BSOD. This particular
one is :

setup.dds

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Yesterday I was getting this same error but on about the twentieth time of
trying I was finally able to make it through the installation. However, I
still had problems with intermittent BSOD that were related to IRQs.
Everything works fine in my XP Pro SP2 installation.

I'm going to keep trying, but hopefully somebody might have a relevant
suggestion? I originally was using v20 of the motherboard bios but I read
where some people were having problems with it so I went back to an earlier
bios version, unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.

In the CPP I was using v1289 without any problems. I'm thinking this has to
a driver issue of some sort.

I have tried all of the x64 VIA drivers that I was able to find. <sighs>

Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=

Oh, I forgot to mention I have two DVD-RW drives, both of them Lite-On, one
is their LDW-811 model, the other is the SOHW-1633.

"re_boot" wrote:

> Ok. I thought I'd try to get to the bottom of some BSOD errors I've been
> getting. My system info is:
> AMD FX-53
> Abit AV8 MOBO using bios v17
> 2 SATA 160GB Western Digital HDs (non-raid configuration)
> NVIDIA GeForce FX-5500
> 1 GB RAM (2x512MB)
> HP Deskjet 935c Printer
> Hauppage PVR-350 tv tuner card (not supported yet)
> Logitech Messenger web cam (not supported yet)
> Microsoft Internet Keyboard
> Kensington PilotMouse Optical Wireless
>
> I have an OEM x64 cd that I purchased from on online vendor. My latest
> problem is just trying to reinstall x64. I press F6 when the setup starts and
> load the VIA Hyperion Pro v500 SATA drivers from floppy disk. I make it
> through loading the files for set up. Where that should finish and the PC
> should restart to finish the installation I'm getting a BSOD. This particular
> one is :
>
> setup.dds
>
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>

> Yesterday I was getting this same error but on about the twentieth time of
> trying I was finally able to make it through the installation. However, I
> still had problems with intermittent BSOD that were related to IRQs.
> Everything works fine in my XP Pro SP2 installation.
>
> I'm going to keep trying, but hopefully somebody might have a relevant
> suggestion? I originally was using v20 of the motherboard bios but I read
> where some people were having problems with it so I went back to an earlier
> bios version, unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.
>
> In the CPP I was using v1289 without any problems. I'm thinking this has to
> a driver issue of some sort.
>
> I have tried all of the x64 VIA drivers that I was able to find. <sighs>
>
> Thanks.

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

Do the first few lines of your component.cif file look like this:

[CIF]
DISPLAY=0:"VIA VT64xx series RAID driver"
COMPONENT_VERSION="4.30C"
DESC=0:"VT64xx and VT8237 SATA RAID Controller driver"
DATE=0x107,,20050425;0x20F,,20050425;

(snipped)

Rafael Rivera
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

re_boot wrote:
> Ok. I thought I'd try to get to the bottom of some BSOD errors I've been
> getting. My system info is:
> AMD FX-53
> Abit AV8 MOBO using bios v17
> 2 SATA 160GB Western Digital HDs (non-raid configuration)
> NVIDIA GeForce FX-5500
> 1 GB RAM (2x512MB)
> HP Deskjet 935c Printer
> Hauppage PVR-350 tv tuner card (not supported yet)
> Logitech Messenger web cam (not supported yet)
> Microsoft Internet Keyboard
> Kensington PilotMouse Optical Wireless
>
> I have an OEM x64 cd that I purchased from on online vendor. My latest
> problem is just trying to reinstall x64. I press F6 when the setup starts and
> load the VIA Hyperion Pro v500 SATA drivers from floppy disk. I make it
> through loading the files for set up. Where that should finish and the PC
> should restart to finish the installation I'm getting a BSOD. This particular
> one is :
>
> setup.dds
>
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>

> Yesterday I was getting this same error but on about the twentieth time of
> trying I was finally able to make it through the installation. However, I
> still had problems with intermittent BSOD that were related to IRQs.
> Everything works fine in my XP Pro SP2 installation.
>
> I'm going to keep trying, but hopefully somebody might have a relevant
> suggestion? I originally was using v20 of the motherboard bios but I read
> where some people were having problems with it so I went back to an earlier
> bios version, unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.
>
> In the CPP I was using v1289 without any problems. I'm thinking this has to
> a driver issue of some sort.
>
> I have tried all of the x64 VIA drivers that I was able to find. <sighs>
>
> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=

sorry. I just noticed the error I'm getting is actually setupdd.sys not
setup.dds as I originally posted.

"re_boot" wrote:

> Ok. I thought I'd try to get to the bottom of some BSOD errors I've been
> getting. My system info is:
> AMD FX-53
> Abit AV8 MOBO using bios v17
> 2 SATA 160GB Western Digital HDs (non-raid configuration)
> NVIDIA GeForce FX-5500
> 1 GB RAM (2x512MB)
> HP Deskjet 935c Printer
> Hauppage PVR-350 tv tuner card (not supported yet)
> Logitech Messenger web cam (not supported yet)
> Microsoft Internet Keyboard
> Kensington PilotMouse Optical Wireless
>
> I have an OEM x64 cd that I purchased from on online vendor. My latest
> problem is just trying to reinstall x64. I press F6 when the setup starts and
> load the VIA Hyperion Pro v500 SATA drivers from floppy disk. I make it
> through loading the files for set up. Where that should finish and the PC
> should restart to finish the installation I'm getting a BSOD. This particular
> one is :
>
> setup.dds
>
> PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>

> Yesterday I was getting this same error but on about the twentieth time of
> trying I was finally able to make it through the installation. However, I
> still had problems with intermittent BSOD that were related to IRQs.
> Everything works fine in my XP Pro SP2 installation.
>
> I'm going to keep trying, but hopefully somebody might have a relevant
> suggestion? I originally was using v20 of the motherboard bios but I read
> where some people were having problems with it so I went back to an earlier
> bios version, unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.
>
> In the CPP I was using v1289 without any problems. I'm thinking this has to
> a driver issue of some sort.
>
> I have tried all of the x64 VIA drivers that I was able to find. <sighs>
>
> Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=

Rafael, thank you for your reply. I'm assuming you are talking about a file
on my x64 SATA driver disk. I could not find a file called component.cif

Hmm...I just took a look at the full list of files extracted from the
downloaded package and I was able to find the component.cif file you
mentioned. It does start exactly as you had quoted. However, I don't have it
on my setup disk as it wasn't in the DrvDisk folder.

However, the txtsetup.oem file contains this:

[Disks]
D-I386-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\I386\VIAMRAID, \I386\NT5
D-I386-NT4-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\I386\VIAMRAID, \I386\NT4

[Defaults]
scsi = VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5

[SCSI]
VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows
XP/SRV2003)"
VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows 2K)"
VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows NT4)"

[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
driver = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT5
inf = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.inf
catalog = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.cat

[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]
driver = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
inf = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.inf
catalog = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.cat

[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4]
driver = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
inf = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.inf

[config.CFG_NT5]
value = parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1

[config.CFG_NT4]
value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1

[HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"

[HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]

"Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" wrote:

> Do the first few lines of your component.cif file look like this:
>
> [CIF]
> DISPLAY=0:"VIA VT64xx series RAID driver"
> COMPONENT_VERSION="4.30C"
> DESC=0:"VT64xx and VT8237 SATA RAID Controller driver"
> DATE=0x107,,20050425;0x20F,,20050425;
>
> (snipped)
>
> Rafael Rivera
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael
>
> re_boot wrote:
> > Ok. I thought I'd try to get to the bottom of some BSOD errors I've been
> > getting. My system info is:
> > AMD FX-53
> > Abit AV8 MOBO using bios v17
> > 2 SATA 160GB Western Digital HDs (non-raid configuration)
> > NVIDIA GeForce FX-5500
> > 1 GB RAM (2x512MB)
> > HP Deskjet 935c Printer
> > Hauppage PVR-350 tv tuner card (not supported yet)
> > Logitech Messenger web cam (not supported yet)
> > Microsoft Internet Keyboard
> > Kensington PilotMouse Optical Wireless
> >
> > I have an OEM x64 cd that I purchased from on online vendor. My latest
> > problem is just trying to reinstall x64. I press F6 when the setup starts and
> > load the VIA Hyperion Pro v500 SATA drivers from floppy disk. I make it
> > through loading the files for set up. Where that should finish and the PC
> > should restart to finish the installation I'm getting a BSOD. This particular
> > one is :
> >
> > setup.dds
> >
> > PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
> >

> > Yesterday I was getting this same error but on about the twentieth time of
> > trying I was finally able to make it through the installation. However, I
> > still had problems with intermittent BSOD that were related to IRQs.
> > Everything works fine in my XP Pro SP2 installation.
> >
> > I'm going to keep trying, but hopefully somebody might have a relevant
> > suggestion? I originally was using v20 of the motherboard bios but I read
> > where some people were having problems with it so I went back to an earlier
> > bios version, unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.
> >
> > In the CPP I was using v1289 without any problems. I'm thinking this has to
> > a driver issue of some sort.
> >
> > I have tried all of the x64 VIA drivers that I was able to find. <sighs>
> >
> > Thanks.

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

Does the bugcheck (BSOD) mention 0x7B anywhere? If so, this is likely
due to the driver disk containing non-x64-decorated INFs (old drivers?)

1. Download
http://downloads.viaarena.com/driver...nPro_V500A.zip

2. Copy the contents of \DrvDisk\AMD64 to a floppy.

3. Reinstall Windows x64 using new floppy.

re_boot wrote:
> [...]
>>>one is :
>>>
>>>setup.dds
>>>
>>>PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
>>>

>>>Yesterday I was getting this same error but on about the twentieth time of
>>>trying I was finally able to make it through the installation. However, I
>>>still had problems with intermittent BSOD that were related to IRQs.
>>>Everything works fine in my XP Pro SP2 installation.
>>>
>>>I'm going to keep trying, but hopefully somebody might have a relevant
>>>suggestion? I originally was using v20 of the motherboard bios but I read
>>>where some people were having problems with it so I went back to an earlier
>>>bios version, unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.
>>>
>>>In the CPP I was using v1289 without any problems. I'm thinking this has to
>>>a driver issue of some sort.
>>>
>>>I have tried all of the x64 VIA drivers that I was able to find. <sighs>

=?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=

Thank you Rafael for another reply. I tried again with the original v500a
driver disk I was using. This time I got a different error message at the
same spot. This time it was:

ntfs.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The technical information was:
STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFADDE4B7A8B0, 0x0000000000000000,
0xFFFFFADFE3A6D348, 0x0000000000000000)

I'll create another driver disk following your instructions to just copy
over the contents AMD64 subfolder of the DrvDisk folder. I have redownloaded
the zip file from the link you included as well. I'll find out in about 5-8
minutes if this works.

Thanks again!

> [...]

> > [Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4]
> > driver = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
> > inf = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.inf
> >

> > [config.CFG_NT5]
> > value = parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1
> >
> > [config.CFG_NT4]
> > value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1
> >
> > [HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"
> >
> > [HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"
> >

> > "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" wrote:
> >

> >>Do the first few lines of your component.cif file look like this:
> >>
> >>[CIF]
> >>DISPLAY=0:"VIA VT64xx series RAID driver"
> >>COMPONENT_VERSION="4.30C"
> >>DESC=0:"VT64xx and VT8237 SATA RAID Controller driver"

=?Utf-8?B?cmVfYm9vdA==?=

When I tried to reinstall it following your instructions for creating the
driver disk I got a message just after formatting the partition:

Insert the disk labeled
Via Raid Combo Driver Diskette
Into Drive A:

Apparently it didn't like the diskette so I copied over the contents of the
VIARaid folder from the downloaded file to a diskette and this didn't work.
Apparently I'm still stuck.

I am also running out of time for today. I will probably have to restore the
image I made before attempting to get this fixed today so at least I can
start up XP Pro.

Thanks again for your help. I'll try again tomorrow.

> [...]

> > [Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4]
> > driver = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
> > inf = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.inf
> >

> > [config.CFG_NT5]
> > value = parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1
> >
> > [config.CFG_NT4]
> > value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1
> >
> > [HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"
> >
> > [HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
> > id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"
> >

> > "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" wrote:
> >

> >>Do the first few lines of your component.cif file look like this:
> >>
> >>[CIF]
> >>DISPLAY=0:"VIA VT64xx series RAID driver"
> >>COMPONENT_VERSION="4.30C"
> >>DESC=0:"VT64xx and VT8237 SATA RAID Controller driver"

I'm stupid. I gave you the wrong driver link.

Use: http://downloads.viaarena.com/driver...RAID_V430C.zip

a. Copy the contents of \DrvDisk\AMD64 to a floppy
b. Edit txtsetup.oem on floppy. Change this line:

D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\AMD64\VIAMRX64, \2003x64

.... to read

D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",VIAMRX64, \2003x64

c. Reinstall OS.

Let me know the results!

re_boot wrote:
> [...]
>>>VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4="VIA VT8237/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows NT4)"
>>>
>>>[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
>>>driver = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT5
>>>inf = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.inf
>>>catalog = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.cat
>>>
>>>[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]
>>>driver = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
>>>inf = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.inf
>>>catalog = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.cat
>>>
>>>[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4]
>>>driver = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
>>>inf = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.inf
>>>

>>>[config.CFG_NT5]
>>>value = parameters\PnpInterface,5,REG_DWORD,1
>>>
>>>[config.CFG_NT4]
>>>value = "", Tag, REG_DWORD, 1
>>>
>>>[HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
>>>id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249","viamraid"
>>>id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viamraid"
>>>id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164","viamraid"
>>>
>>>[HardwareIds.scsi.VCOMBORAID_I386_WIN2K]

Christian Hougardy

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com] <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote:
> I'm stupid. I gave you the wrong driver link.
>
> Use: http://downloads.viaarena.com/driver...RAID_V430C.zip
>
> a. Copy the contents of \DrvDisk\AMD64 to a floppy
> b. Edit txtsetup.oem on floppy. Change this line:
>
> D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\AMD64\VIAMRX64,
> \2003x64
> ... to read
>
> D-x64-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",VIAMRX64, \2003x64
>
> c. Reinstall OS.
>
> Let me know the results!
>
> Rafael Rivera
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

Hi Rafael,

I have the same mobo, he need the via raid indeed. I made a iso a the
floppy.
I can send it to him if he asks for

Cheers

--