Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Laptop/Notebook

Laptop/Notebook

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

Ok I am really surprised.

I want to buy an AMD based 64-bit laptop or notebook.

How come every vendor out there offers nothing more than "Windows XP
Professional" ?

It is truly incredible that none of the big vendors is able/willing, to
offer a 64-bit laptop/notebook with XP-64 included!!

If anybody has info or guidelines, it will be appreciated, after all the
WHOLE purpose of a 64-bit system is to RUN the 64-bit OS which has been
available for a long while now.

Thanks

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

Alienware sells x64 laptops but of course they're expensive (highway
robbery expensive to be exact)

Rafael Rivera
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Hugo wrote:
> Ok I am really surprised.
>
> I want to buy an AMD based 64-bit laptop or notebook.
>
> How come every vendor out there offers nothing more than "Windows XP
> Professional" ?
>
> It is truly incredible that none of the big vendors is able/willing, to
> offer a 64-bit laptop/notebook with XP-64 included!!
>
> If anybody has info or guidelines, it will be appreciated, after all the
> WHOLE purpose of a 64-bit system is to RUN the 64-bit OS which has been
> available for a long while now.
>
> Thanks

R Sanders

My guess is the lack of drivers to support all of the features found in a
laptop, specifically the video driver. (I know that you can download video
drivers directly from ATI and, I assume, NVIDIA) The bottom line is that
the notebook vendors would have to add additional driver testing to their
normal work.

I have a sager AMD 64bit and have been able to get the majority of
components working under XP 64 bit. The biggest problem for me was the
built-in wireless card and the PCMCIA cardbus.

Also, (please correct me if I am wrong) XP 64 bit does not and will not
support the Inferred Port found on many laptops.

Bob Sanders

"Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alienware sells x64 laptops but of course they're expensive (highway
> robbery expensive to be exact)
>
> Rafael Rivera
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> Hugo wrote:
>> Ok I am really surprised.
>>
>> I want to buy an AMD based 64-bit laptop or notebook.
>>
>> How come every vendor out there offers nothing more than "Windows XP
>> Professional" ?
>>
>> It is truly incredible that none of the big vendors is able/willing, to
>> offer a 64-bit laptop/notebook with XP-64 included!!
>>
>> If anybody has info or guidelines, it will be appreciated, after all the
>> WHOLE purpose of a 64-bit system is to RUN the 64-bit OS which has been
>> available for a long while now.
>>
>> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

No doubt you are correct about the drivers and stuff.

My annoyance is that is really no excuse, both AMD and Microsoft have been
working on this for years and vendors have had plenty of time.

I would love to know why anybody would buy a 64-bit laptop at this stage
when getting XP-64 to run is a "specialized" skill.

Having a 64-bit laptop is surely nothing more than some kind of "status"
symbol at this stage, a "glorified" Pentium to all intents and purposes.

Only the technically savvy will be willing to attempt to install and
configure XP-64 themselves and the vendor is unlikely to offer an "upgrade"
service (given the risks).

I guess that if I want a 64-bit laptop (which I do, to demo specialized
64-bit products which I develop) then I will just have to wait.

Although I am capable of installing and resolving most issues, however
"manual" and fiddly that may get, it could turn out that some small issue
simply prevents me from doing what I want/need.

AMD and Microsoft really should do something about this and prod these
vendors in some way.

What happened the US and it's technological, innovation and leadership? I
bet Taiwan end up shipping the first systems with XP-64 installed and
supported.!!!

"R Sanders" wrote:

> My guess is the lack of drivers to support all of the features found in a
> laptop, specifically the video driver. (I know that you can download video
> drivers directly from ATI and, I assume, NVIDIA) The bottom line is that
> the notebook vendors would have to add additional driver testing to their
> normal work.
>
> I have a sager AMD 64bit and have been able to get the majority of
> components working under XP 64 bit. The biggest problem for me was the
> built-in wireless card and the PCMCIA cardbus.
>
> Also, (please correct me if I am wrong) XP 64 bit does not and will not
> support the Inferred Port found on many laptops.
>
> Bob Sanders
>

> "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Alienware sells x64 laptops but of course they're expensive (highway
> > robbery expensive to be exact)
> >
> > Rafael Rivera
> > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> >
> > Hugo wrote:
> >> Ok I am really surprised.
> >>
> >> I want to buy an AMD based 64-bit laptop or notebook.
> >>
> >> How come every vendor out there offers nothing more than "Windows XP
> >> Professional" ?
> >>
> >> It is truly incredible that none of the big vendors is able/willing, to
> >> offer a 64-bit laptop/notebook with XP-64 included!!
> >>
> >> If anybody has info or guidelines, it will be appreciated, after all the
> >> WHOLE purpose of a 64-bit system is to RUN the 64-bit OS which has been
> >> available for a long while now.
> >>
> >> Thanks

Andre Da Costa

Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/ notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm

--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Hugo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok I am really surprised.
>
> I want to buy an AMD based 64-bit laptop or notebook.
>
> How come every vendor out there offers nothing more than "Windows XP
> Professional" ?
>
> It is truly incredible that none of the big vendors is able/willing, to
> offer a 64-bit laptop/notebook with XP-64 included!!
>
> If anybody has info or guidelines, it will be appreciated, after all the
> WHOLE purpose of a 64-bit system is to RUN the 64-bit OS which has been
> available for a long while now.
>
> Thanks

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, including the Ferrari models. However, none of them are currently
shipping with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition on them. Grrrrr.

--
Charlie.

Andre Da Costa wrote:
> Acer has 64 bit notebooks:
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/
> notebooks/0,39023985,39156022,00.htm
>
> "Hugo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok I am really surprised.
>>
>> I want to buy an AMD based 64-bit laptop or notebook.
>>
>> How come every vendor out there offers nothing more than "Windows XP
>> Professional" ?
>>
>> It is truly incredible that none of the big vendors is able/willing,
>> to offer a 64-bit laptop/notebook with XP-64 included!!
>>
>> If anybody has info or guidelines, it will be appreciated, after all
>> the WHOLE purpose of a 64-bit system is to RUN the 64-bit OS which
>> has been available for a long while now.
>>
>> Thanks

Andre Da Costa

I would say its the same case for most desktops, although some are providing
exchange programs on the side I would think.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...