Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IBM deskstar 60GXP device inaccessible problems. Lost cause??

IBM deskstar 60GXP device inaccessible problems. Lost cause??

=?Utf-8?B?Y3JhYmJq?=

I have tried just about everything possible to upgrade from WIN98SE to Winxp
Pro on an older computer for use as a training desktop for network
administration. I recently replaced the original hard drive with a 20G IBM
Deskstar 60GXP. The drive accepted a clean install of WIN98SE and runs fine,
but for reasons that seem unique to this drive, the Desktar seems to come up
with a device inaccessible error open startup of the WinXP pro setup. I've
tried floppy boots, scandisk, fdisk.. Nothing seems to work. Is this a lost
cause, and should I just replace the drive with a less faulty brand?? I've
read numerous threads on this topic, and it seems to happen with Win2k and
just about anything past Win98SE with the IBM drives. The Hitachi website
which supports the drive offers no type of drivers or anything that can fix
the BIOS settings for installation, and simply states "drivers aren't
required for hard drives." on the support site. You'd think they would
address the common problems with all those STOP errors, but not on the site.
This computer is a 1999 Inteva, which has no customer support as the
manufacturer went out of business and its website is dead. The only bit of
hope I have is that the drive runs Win98SE flawlessly.

Wayne Wastier

I think you are in the wrong newsgroup. This group is for 64bit Windows.

Andre Da Costa

Yeah, here is the appropriate one:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Upgrading to Windows XP:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"crabbj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have tried just about everything possible to upgrade from WIN98SE to
>Winxp
> Pro on an older computer for use as a training desktop for network
> administration. I recently replaced the original hard drive with a 20G IBM
> Deskstar 60GXP. The drive accepted a clean install of WIN98SE and runs
> fine,
> but for reasons that seem unique to this drive, the Desktar seems to come
> up
> with a device inaccessible error open startup of the WinXP pro setup. I've
> tried floppy boots, scandisk, fdisk.. Nothing seems to work. Is this a
> lost
> cause, and should I just replace the drive with a less faulty brand?? I've
> read numerous threads on this topic, and it seems to happen with Win2k and
> just about anything past Win98SE with the IBM drives. The Hitachi website
> which supports the drive offers no type of drivers or anything that can
> fix
> the BIOS settings for installation, and simply states "drivers aren't
> required for hard drives." on the support site. You'd think they would
> address the common problems with all those STOP errors, but not on the
> site.
> This computer is a 1999 Inteva, which has no customer support as the
> manufacturer went out of business and its website is dead. The only bit of
> hope I have is that the drive runs Win98SE flawlessly.

=?Utf-8?B?Y3JhYmJq?=

Sorry guys... thanks for the link