Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > thanks to the testers

thanks to the testers

Andre Da Costa

I hope the x64 Team decides to make Service Pack 2 a driver based update for
XP Pro x64.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Even though I bought my XP64 copy on day 1, I'll certainly use the other
> freebie to deploy another x64 machine.
> I in fact noticed that MS fixed certain bugs at the very last minute, such
> as the find command unable to read beyond 4GB.
>

> "Andre Da Costa" wrote:
>
>> Yes, but it still manages to confuse users into thinking they are
>> actually
>> in the Technical beta, because they using a beta themselves.
>> --
>>
>> Andre

>> news:O7vL%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > good point -- there is a very real difference between the CPP and the
>> > Tech
>> > Beta.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.

Aldo Bleeker

Gary MCSE wrote:
> Wow, how cool is that?
> I was sort of hoping for this, having received so much from Microsoft in the
> past for attending seminars etc., I am glad they are doing this.
>
> The article mentions an email being sent to the testers.
> Has anyone received one as yet?
> Just curious.
> "doddsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...x64/1117205301

Yeah, that was a nice surprise, as no reward is ever guaranteed for beta
testing, and at the end of the x64 beta it was more or less understood
there would be no free RTM download, I hadn't counted on this anymore
when I got the email this morning. I have been active, so I just hope
I've been active enough. I'll see what happens, but I appreciate the
gesture. As I'm in the process of swapping a x32 version, I hope to have
two in a month or so. I can use two, and counted on having one, so that
would be good. Thanks, Microsoft!

Aldo Bleeker

Microsoft

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This most likely only applies to the Beta Testers, not to be confused with
> the Customer Preview Program.
> Those are two different programs with different purposes.
>
> Microsoft has known from the beginning who the Beta testers are.
> If someone is not sure or they wonder how Microsoft may have the
> information, they most likely are not a Beta tester and will not get
> access to the download.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "doddsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...x64/1117205301

"two different programs with different purposes"
What's the point of contributing to the CPP then?. I won't bother next time
which'll let Mike Brannigan off lightly

Intel Inside

Apologies for the mistake. (I had not checked my ng settings for this
server for some time).

Charlie Russel - MVP

The programs have two very different goals. The Technical Beta program is for
active beta testers who are expected to have a much higher level of
participation and active testing of the product, and the primary function of
the program is to identify bugs prior to shipment. The Customer Preview
Program, on the other hand, is designed to get early, pre-release versions of
an important new product into the hands of customers to facilitate THEIR
testing and adoption. The expectations from MS towards CPP participants is
quite different - nothing is explicitly required or expected.

In the old days, many people on the technical beta were primarily there for
their own needs and had neither time nor interest in filing bugs against the
product. This actually puts quite a strain on a beta infrastructure, and it's
much better for all to separate out the two groups of testers. Hence, the CPP
program was born and is used on many key products.

--
Charlie.

Microsoft wrote:
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This most likely only applies to the Beta Testers, not to be
>> confused with the Customer Preview Program.
>> Those are two different programs with different purposes.
>>
>> Microsoft has known from the beginning who the Beta testers are.
>> If someone is not sure or they wonder how Microsoft may have the
>> information, they most likely are not a Beta tester and will not get
>> access to the download.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "doddsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...x64/1117205301

> "two different programs with different purposes"
> What's the point of contributing to the CPP then?. I won't bother
> next time which'll let Mike Brannigan off lightly

Charlie Russel - MVP

no big deal. We've all done it.

--
Charlie.

Intel Inside wrote:

> Apologies for the mistake. (I had not checked my ng settings for this
> server for some time).

Andre Da Costa

I never became Microsoft before.