Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > thanks to the testers

thanks to the testers

Gary MCSE

I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off the
download list.
Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names making
it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and Posting" versus those
who simply downloaded and never posted.
But then again...Just my $.02

"Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary MCSE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> OK, so how is ones eligibility determined?
>> I've posted probably 6-8 times between the two newsgroups..
>> Contributed some good thoughts/ideas.
>> Sniffle...I didn't get an email...sniffle..

> Hi Gary
>
> Be patient, I think it's just the begining of the process. It may take a
> while before you get your mail
> I hope it for you anyway
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, though one was supposed to use one's beta ID in every post on the beta
NGs, regardless of what actual name you used. That beta ID should have been
sufficient to identify you. But honestly, I don't know what processes are in
place on this. I did post a couple of bugs, now that I think about it. Of the
"x isn't working, or won't install" variety. Mostly things that I ultimately
knew ahead of time wouldn't, like Services for UNIX, and right mouse
extensions to Explorer. But they need to hear that we use and need things
like this. (And SFU is still the one last thing I'm really, really missing on
x64.)

--
Charlie.

Gary MCSE wrote:
> I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off the
> download list.
> Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names
> making it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and Posting"
> versus those who simply downloaded and never posted.
> But then again...Just my $.02
>
> "Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gary MCSE <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> OK, so how is ones eligibility determined?
>>> I've posted probably 6-8 times between the two newsgroups..
>>> Contributed some good thoughts/ideas.
>>> Sniffle...I didn't get an email...sniffle..

>> Hi Gary
>>
>> Be patient, I think it's just the begining of the process. It may
>> take a while before you get your mail
>> I hope it for you anyway
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> --
>> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
>> Johannesburg - South Africa
>> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

This most likely only applies to the Beta Testers, not to be confused with
the Customer Preview Program.
Those are two different programs with different purposes.

Microsoft has known from the beginning who the Beta testers are.
If someone is not sure or they wonder how Microsoft may have the
information, they most likely are not a Beta tester and will not get access
to the download.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"doddsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...x64/1117205301

Charlie Russel - MVP

good point -- there is a very real difference between the CPP and the Tech
Beta.

--
Charlie.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> This most likely only applies to the Beta Testers, not to be confused
> with the Customer Preview Program.
> Those are two different programs with different purposes.
>
> Microsoft has known from the beginning who the Beta testers are.
> If someone is not sure or they wonder how Microsoft may have the
> information, they most likely are not a Beta tester and will not get
> access to the download.
>

> "doddsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://www.betanews.com/article/Micr...x64/1117205301

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Charlie;
I think some reading the article may confuse the Beta program with the
Customer Preview Program.
Countless people were involved in the CPP in the windowsserver_64bit
newsgroup.
But those are not necessarily Beta participants.
The CPP participants also do not have a Beta ID tied to the Beta program.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, though one was supposed to use one's beta ID in every post on the
> beta NGs, regardless of what actual name you used. That beta ID should
> have been sufficient to identify you. But honestly, I don't know what
> processes are in place on this. I did post a couple of bugs, now that I
> think about it. Of the "x isn't working, or won't install" variety. Mostly
> things that I ultimately knew ahead of time wouldn't, like Services for
> UNIX, and right mouse extensions to Explorer. But they need to hear that
> we use and need things like this. (And SFU is still the one last thing I'm
> really, really missing on x64.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Gary MCSE wrote:
>> I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off the
>> download list.
>> Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names
>> making it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and Posting"
>> versus those who simply downloaded and never posted.
>> But then again...Just my $.02
>>
>> "Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Hi Gary
>>>
>>> Be patient, I think it's just the begining of the process. It may
>>> take a while before you get your mail
>>> I hope it for you anyway
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
>>> Johannesburg - South Africa
>>> http://msmvps.com/xpditif

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Gary;
Based on the questions you are asking, it seems you participated in the
Customer Preview Program and not the Beta program.
If that is the case, you probably will not get access to the download.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off the
>download list.
> Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names making
> it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and Posting" versus
> those who simply downloaded and never posted.
> But then again...Just my $.02

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, and part of the reason why I didn't post anything here when I got my
email yesterday.

--
Charlie.

Jupiter Jones [MVP] wrote:
> Charlie;
> I think some reading the article may confuse the Beta program with the
> Customer Preview Program.
> Countless people were involved in the CPP in the windowsserver_64bit
> newsgroup.
> But those are not necessarily Beta participants.
> The CPP participants also do not have a Beta ID tied to the Beta
> program.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, though one was supposed to use one's beta ID in every post on
>> the beta NGs, regardless of what actual name you used. That beta ID
>> should have been sufficient to identify you. But honestly, I don't
>> know what processes are in place on this. I did post a couple of
>> bugs, now that I think about it. Of the "x isn't working, or won't
>> install" variety. Mostly things that I ultimately knew ahead of time
>> wouldn't, like Services for UNIX, and right mouse extensions to
>> Explorer. But they need to hear that we use and need things like
>> this. (And SFU is still the one last thing I'm really, really
>> missing on x64.) --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> Gary MCSE wrote:
>>> I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off
>>> the download list.
>>> Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names
>>> making it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and
>>> Posting" versus those who simply downloaded and never posted.
>>> But then again...Just my $.02
>>>
>>> "Christian Hougardy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Gary MCSE

No, I also participated in the Beta program, prior to the CPP, Having
downloaded three diferent builds, one being the final RTM version.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gary;
> Based on the questions you are asking, it seems you participated in the
> Customer Preview Program and not the Beta program.
> If that is the case, you probably will not get access to the download.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off the
>>download list.
>> Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names
>> making it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and Posting"
>> versus those who simply downloaded and never posted.
>> But then again...Just my $.02

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Then Microsoft already has all your information that you gave prior to being
accepted into the Beta.
Everything essential is tied to the Beta ID so there is no problem for Beta
testers with a real name or alias..

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> No, I also participated in the Beta program, prior to the CPP, Having
> downloaded three diferent builds, one being the final RTM version.
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gary;
>> Based on the questions you are asking, it seems you participated in the
>> Customer Preview Program and not the Beta program.
>> If that is the case, you probably will not get access to the download.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Gary MCSE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I don't see anyway for MSFT to contact testers for this except off the
>>>download list.
>>> Most testers that post to the newsgroups don't use their real names
>>> making it prety tough to track who was actually "Testing and Posting"
>>> versus those who simply downloaded and never posted.
>>> But then again...Just my $.02

Gary MCSE

How or where would one find his Beta ID?
Is it possible to back track your registration?