Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Burning issues and general noob questions

Reply
Thread Tools

Burning issues and general noob questions

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?SGVuZGxlZmU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
I'm a little intimidated by windows 64 because I'm not that savvy when it
comes to this.
1) So... when I install windows 64bit is it like reformating where I lose
all my data? Stupid question.

2) I've been reading about "partition" a lot is it like having both windows
xp 32bit and windows xp pro 64bit at the same time?

3) When I burned windows 64bit onto a cdr I used nero and chose the cd-rom
(ISO) button to burn the program. I rebooted my computer but nothing happens.
My computer loads up normally. I tried using daemon-tools to create a virtual
cd drive but it says that I need to reboot my computer to install it. So did
I create the cd wrong?

I know I asked a lot of questions and thanks to anyone that responds.

My computer:
eMachines M6809
AMD Athlon 3200+ I think
1.2gig ram
Radeon 6200 I think
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Aldo Bleeker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
1) Yes, you must do a "clean install", i.e. you must format the partiton you
want to install to, and by doing so will lose all data on that partition.

2) Partitons are a way to divide up a disk in seperate parts, each with its
own drive letter. If you for example create three partitons, they will be
named C, D, and E. Partitoning must be done by formatting the drive. Before
you attempt this kind of system stuff, you better know what you're doing,
and have a backup ready in case something goes wrong. If you do something
wrong, you WILL LOSE DATA! That said, there are applications that will make
this easier and are able to repartion a drive, like for instance Partiton
Magic, but there's always a risk of data loss.

3) You must "burn an image", or create a disk from ISO in Nero, you can't
just copy the file to CD. That is, don't drag the file to the CD and burn,
but select Burn Image, browse to the image (.iso), and confirm. You should
also make sure that your computer and BIOS are set up to boot from CD, it
should attempt to boot from CD before it boots from the hard disk.

Hope that helps.

Aldo Bleeker

"Hendlefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm a little intimidated by windows 64 because I'm not that savvy when it
> comes to this.
> 1) So... when I install windows 64bit is it like reformating where I lose
> all my data? Stupid question.
>
> 2) I've been reading about "partition" a lot is it like having both
> windows
> xp 32bit and windows xp pro 64bit at the same time?
>
> 3) When I burned windows 64bit onto a cdr I used nero and chose the cd-rom
> (ISO) button to burn the program. I rebooted my computer but nothing
> happens.
> My computer loads up normally. I tried using daemon-tools to create a
> virtual
> cd drive but it says that I need to reboot my computer to install it. So
> did
> I create the cd wrong?
>
> I know I asked a lot of questions and thanks to anyone that responds.
>
> My computer:
> eMachines M6809
> AMD Athlon 3200+ I think
> 1.2gig ram
> Radeon 6200 I think



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joseph Conway [MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
All solid answers Aldo.

One thing to keep clear here is that if you want to run x64 and a 32bit OS
you must have separate partitions for the to install to (like a C and D
drive mentioned prior). You want to install the 32bit OS first, then x64
last and it must be on its own partition.

 
Reply With Quote
 
tawpgk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
I would suggest that you get a friend that is more familiar with these
issues to help you with the install. The beer and pizza will be will worth
the money for you to not have your data and system messed up. IF your are
not familiar with partitioning and the issues around it, then you really
should ask for more help. Beyond that, you will need to look for drivers and
know how to install them, etc.

x64 is an oem product because the installer really needs to be savvy with
getting a system up and running. Give a friend a call or consider having
your local computer guy do it. I am sure whatever stuff you have already you
don't want to lose, and there are a number of pitfall that you can run into
along this path.

--
Tom
"Hendlefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm a little intimidated by windows 64 because I'm not that savvy when it
> comes to this.
> 1) So... when I install windows 64bit is it like reformating where I lose
> all my data? Stupid question.
>
> 2) I've been reading about "partition" a lot is it like having both
> windows
> xp 32bit and windows xp pro 64bit at the same time?
>
> 3) When I burned windows 64bit onto a cdr I used nero and chose the cd-rom
> (ISO) button to burn the program. I rebooted my computer but nothing
> happens.
> My computer loads up normally. I tried using daemon-tools to create a
> virtual
> cd drive but it says that I need to reboot my computer to install it. So
> did
> I create the cd wrong?
>
> I know I asked a lot of questions and thanks to anyone that responds.
>
> My computer:
> eMachines M6809
> AMD Athlon 3200+ I think
> 1.2gig ram
> Radeon 6200 I think


 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian Hougardy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
Hendlefe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm a little intimidated by windows 64 because I'm not that savvy
> when it comes to this.
> 1) So... when I install windows 64bit is it like reformating where I
> lose all my data? Stupid question.
>
> 2) I've been reading about "partition" a lot is it like having both
> windows xp 32bit and windows xp pro 64bit at the same time?
>
> 3) When I burned windows 64bit onto a cdr I used nero and chose the
> cd-rom (ISO) button to burn the program. I rebooted my computer but
> nothing happens. My computer loads up normally. I tried using
> daemon-tools to create a virtual cd drive but it says that I need to
> reboot my computer to install it. So did I create the cd wrong?
>
> I know I asked a lot of questions and thanks to anyone that responds.
>
> My computer:
> eMachines M6809
> AMD Athlon 3200+ I think
> 1.2gig ram
> Radeon 6200 I think


You may follow Aldo's advice, looks very good to me...
And by the way: there is no such thing as a stupid question Feel free to
ask

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?REw=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
Correct me if I wrong, but isn't an Athlon 3200+ a 32-bit processor?

"Christian Hougardy" wrote:

> Hendlefe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm a little intimidated by windows 64 because I'm not that savvy
> > when it comes to this.
> > 1) So... when I install windows 64bit is it like reformating where I
> > lose all my data? Stupid question.
> >
> > 2) I've been reading about "partition" a lot is it like having both
> > windows xp 32bit and windows xp pro 64bit at the same time?
> >
> > 3) When I burned windows 64bit onto a cdr I used nero and chose the
> > cd-rom (ISO) button to burn the program. I rebooted my computer but
> > nothing happens. My computer loads up normally. I tried using
> > daemon-tools to create a virtual cd drive but it says that I need to
> > reboot my computer to install it. So did I create the cd wrong?
> >
> > I know I asked a lot of questions and thanks to anyone that responds.
> >
> > My computer:
> > eMachines M6809
> > AMD Athlon 3200+ I think
> > 1.2gig ram
> > Radeon 6200 I think

>
> You may follow Aldo's advice, looks very good to me...
> And by the way: there is no such thing as a stupid question Feel free to
> ask
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> Johannesburg - South Africa
> http://msmvps.com/xpditif
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?SGVuZGxlZmU=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
First off thanks everyone for answering. I decided to stick with my windows
xp home 32bit since this stuff seems a bit difficult. Hopefully microsoft
will make it easier on us noobs in the future.

The little sticker on my computer says AMD Athlon 64 Processor so I think
it's a 64bit processor.

"DL" wrote:

> Correct me if I wrong, but isn't an Athlon 3200+ a 32-bit processor?
>
> "Christian Hougardy" wrote:
>
> > Hendlefe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I'm a little intimidated by windows 64 because I'm not that savvy
> > > when it comes to this.
> > > 1) So... when I install windows 64bit is it like reformating where I
> > > lose all my data? Stupid question.
> > >
> > > 2) I've been reading about "partition" a lot is it like having both
> > > windows xp 32bit and windows xp pro 64bit at the same time?
> > >
> > > 3) When I burned windows 64bit onto a cdr I used nero and chose the
> > > cd-rom (ISO) button to burn the program. I rebooted my computer but
> > > nothing happens. My computer loads up normally. I tried using
> > > daemon-tools to create a virtual cd drive but it says that I need to
> > > reboot my computer to install it. So did I create the cd wrong?
> > >
> > > I know I asked a lot of questions and thanks to anyone that responds.
> > >
> > > My computer:
> > > eMachines M6809
> > > AMD Athlon 3200+ I think
> > > 1.2gig ram
> > > Radeon 6200 I think

> >
> > You may follow Aldo's advice, looks very good to me...
> > And by the way: there is no such thing as a stupid question Feel free to
> > ask
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > --
> > Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
> > Johannesburg - South Africa
> > http://msmvps.com/xpditif
> >
> >
> >

 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian Hougardy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2005
DL <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Correct me if I wrong, but isn't an Athlon 3200+ a 32-bit processor?
>

It may be an Athlon AMD64 3200+
If it's not an AMD64.... than you're right

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa
http://msmvps.com/xpditif


 
Reply With Quote
 
Aldo Bleeker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2005
I find partitions very useful. IF you know what you're doing, and heed
Joseph's advice to install x32 and x64 in seperate partitions, you'll be
able to dual boot. At the moment I use two disks with about 10 partions,
and can boot something like 6 OS'es. (That's nothing special, BTW, I
once read about a guy who could boot about 26 OS'es! Sorry, can't
remember where I saw this.)

Partitons come in handy when for instance you're beta testing (I think I
can say that without breaking NDA's, right?, please correct me if I'm
wrong). I like to install every OS in it's own partiton, and use
seperate partions for data. This way you can easily wipe out an OS,
without losing data. You can also share data between OS'es this way.

All this is not for the faint of heart, though. It takes planning, and
there are some subtleties you must know about when you try to do this,
so there's no loss of honour when you decide you don't want to go this way!

And, yes, there sure is an Athlon 64 3200+. I almost got one, they
offered great value for the money, but they were sold out, so I bought
the 3500+ Newcastle. Sweet, haven't regretted it yet.

Aldo Bleeker

Hendlefe wrote:
> First off thanks everyone for answering. I decided to stick with my windows
> xp home 32bit since this stuff seems a bit difficult. Hopefully microsoft
> will make it easier on us noobs in the future.
>
> The little sticker on my computer says AMD Athlon 64 Processor so I think
> it's a 64bit processor.
>
> "DL" wrote:
>
>
>>Correct me if I wrong, but isn't an Athlon 3200+ a 32-bit processor?
>>
>>"Christian Hougardy" wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Hendlefe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>I'm a little intimidated by windows 64 because I'm not that savvy
>>>>when it comes to this.
>>>>1) So... when I install windows 64bit is it like reformating where I
>>>>lose all my data? Stupid question.
>>>>
>>>>2) I've been reading about "partition" a lot is it like having both
>>>>windows xp 32bit and windows xp pro 64bit at the same time?
>>>>
>>>>3) When I burned windows 64bit onto a cdr I used nero and chose the
>>>>cd-rom (ISO) button to burn the program. I rebooted my computer but
>>>>nothing happens. My computer loads up normally. I tried using
>>>>daemon-tools to create a virtual cd drive but it says that I need to
>>>>reboot my computer to install it. So did I create the cd wrong?
>>>>
>>>>I know I asked a lot of questions and thanks to anyone that responds.
>>>>
>>>>My computer:
>>>>eMachines M6809
>>>>AMD Athlon 3200+ I think
>>>>1.2gig ram
>>>>Radeon 6200 I think
>>>
>>>You may follow Aldo's advice, looks very good to me...
>>>And by the way: there is no such thing as a stupid question Feel free to
>>>ask
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>
>>>--
>>>Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
>>>Johannesburg - South Africa
>>>http://msmvps.com/xpditif
>>>
>>>
>>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General....very general.... no important for u forever hi Python 0 03-18-2009 08:21 AM
Here a noob, there a noob.... JimDoire MCSE 0 04-10-2008 07:23 PM
Having Issues with Nero on Vista. Burning speed issues Fu Schnickens Computer Support 12 12-18-2006 10:32 PM
Noob questions about bright daytime and nighttime scenery shots Walter Dnes (delete the 'z' to get my real address) Digital Photography 0 07-04-2005 10:38 AM
XML-RPC and SOAP:differences and general issues... RedHat_79 XML 0 05-29-2004 11:21 AM



Advertisments