Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Promise IDE driver

Promise IDE driver

cvandevere

I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......) but
have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can find the
Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to everything under
win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the promise controller win x64.
Has anyone found one yet that works with win xp x64? My system is as
follows:

Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
1 gig of ram
(2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
(1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
(1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
(1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
(1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
SB Audigy 2
PNY Quadra FX 500

Thanks in-advance for any assistance.

Craig

Dennis Pack

The IDE hard drive has to be installed on the IDE plug not the Promise Raid
plug.

"cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......) but
>have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can find the
>Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to everything under
>win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the promise controller win
>x64. Has anyone found one yet that works with win xp x64? My system is as
>follows:
>
> Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
> AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
> 1 gig of ram
> (2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
> (1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
> (1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
> (1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
> (1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
> SB Audigy 2
> PNY Quadra FX 500
>
> Thanks in-advance for any assistance.
>
> Craig

cvandevere

There is a driver on the ASUS CD that allows the promise controller to run a
IDE drive in addition to the Promise RAID driver. It is well documented in
the User Guide. It has been working with no problems under Windows XP Pro
for several years. Now I am looking for the 64 bit driver that will allow it
to work under Windows XP Pro x64.
"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23j3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The IDE hard drive has to be installed on the IDE plug not the Promise
> Raid plug.
>

> "cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......) but
>>have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can find the
>>Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to everything
>>under win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the promise controller
>>win x64. Has anyone found one yet that works with win xp x64? My system is
>>as follows:
>>
>> Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
>> AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
>> 1 gig of ram
>> (2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
>> (1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
>> (1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
>> (1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
>> (1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
>> SB Audigy 2
>> PNY Quadra FX 500
>>
>> Thanks in-advance for any assistance.
>>
>> Craig

NoNoBadDog!

I guess it was too much of a bother to check the ASUS website...it was there
all along.
Next time, please check the obvious sources prior to seeking assistance.
Here is the link...

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc...bit_100139.zip

Bobby

"cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a driver on the ASUS CD that allows the promise controller to run
> a IDE drive in addition to the Promise RAID driver. It is well documented
> in the User Guide. It has been working with no problems under Windows XP
> Pro for several years. Now I am looking for the 64 bit driver that will
> allow it to work under Windows XP Pro x64.
> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23j3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The IDE hard drive has to be installed on the IDE plug not the Promise
>> Raid plug.
>>

>> "cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......) but
>>>have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can find
>>>the Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to everything
>>>under win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the promise controller
>>>win x64. Has anyone found one yet that works with win xp x64? My system
>>>is as follows:
>>>
>>> Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
>>> AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
>>> 1 gig of ram
>>> (2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
>>> (1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
>>> (1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
>>> (1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
>>> (1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
>>> SB Audigy 2
>>> PNY Quadra FX 500
>>>
>>> Thanks in-advance for any assistance.
>>>
>>> Craig

Dennis Pack

I have the Asus SK8N board. It has 2xUltraDMA133 supports 4 hard drives. The
Promise controller is only for 2 IDE hard drives and 2 SATA hard drives for
Raid configurations. You may be able to configure the Promise Raid slot
recognize only one hard drive during Raid setup.

"cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a driver on the ASUS CD that allows the promise controller to run
> a IDE drive in addition to the Promise RAID driver. It is well documented
> in the User Guide. It has been working with no problems under Windows XP
> Pro for several years. Now I am looking for the 64 bit driver that will
> allow it to work under Windows XP Pro x64.
> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23j3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The IDE hard drive has to be installed on the IDE plug not the Promise
>> Raid plug.
>>

>> "cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......) but
>>>have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can find
>>>the Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to everything
>>>under win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the promise controller
>>>win x64. Has anyone found one yet that works with win xp x64? My system
>>>is as follows:
>>>
>>> Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
>>> AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
>>> 1 gig of ram
>>> (2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
>>> (1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
>>> (1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
>>> (1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
>>> (1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
>>> SB Audigy 2
>>> PNY Quadra FX 500
>>>
>>> Thanks in-advance for any assistance.
>>>
>>> Craig

formerprof

The driver he is discussing is the 64-bit Promise non-RAID driver. It
doesn't exist yet; the driver you saw is the RAID driver, 1.0.1.39. There is
a 32-bit Promise non-RAID driver on the ASUS web site listed for a number of
their boards.

Perhaps he did "check the obvious sources."

The scuttlebutt is that Promise or ASUS will have such a driver late in
June.

formerprof

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I guess it was too much of a bother to check the ASUS website...it was
>there all along.
> Next time, please check the obvious sources prior to seeking assistance.
> Here is the link...
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc...bit_100139.zip
>
> Bobby
>
> "cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is a driver on the ASUS CD that allows the promise controller to
>> run a IDE drive in addition to the Promise RAID driver. It is well
>> documented in the User Guide. It has been working with no problems under
>> Windows XP Pro for several years. Now I am looking for the 64 bit driver
>> that will allow it to work under Windows XP Pro x64.
>> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%23j3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The IDE hard drive has to be installed on the IDE plug not the Promise
>>> Raid plug.
>>>

>>> "cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

NoNoBadDog!

No, the driver is for the 64 bit OS, and I am using it right now. I have
two HDDs on my Primary IDE, and two HDD on the Promise PATA connector. This
is the driver required to access the PATA IDE drives attached to the Promise
IDE (PATA) controller.

Bobby

"formerprof" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The driver he is discussing is the 64-bit Promise non-RAID driver. It
> doesn't exist yet; the driver you saw is the RAID driver, 1.0.1.39. There
> is a 32-bit Promise non-RAID driver on the ASUS web site listed for a
> number of their boards.
>
> Perhaps he did "check the obvious sources."
>
> The scuttlebutt is that Promise or ASUS will have such a driver late in
> June.
>
> formerprof
>

> "NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I guess it was too much of a bother to check the ASUS website...it was
>>there all along.
>> Next time, please check the obvious sources prior to seeking assistance.
>> Here is the link...
>>
>> http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/misc...bit_100139.zip
>>
>> Bobby
>>
>> "cvandevere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> There is a driver on the ASUS CD that allows the promise controller to
>>> run a IDE drive in addition to the Promise RAID driver. It is well
>>> documented in the User Guide. It has been working with no problems under
>>> Windows XP Pro for several years. Now I am looking for the 64 bit driver
>>> that will allow it to work under Windows XP Pro x64.
>>> "Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23j3$(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

The promised Promise driver isn't available yet. OTOH, I can count, and you
could easily move the WD 40Gb to be on regular IDE. Might mean moving things
around a bit, but there's room.

--
Charlie.

cvandevere wrote:
> I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......)
> but have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can
> find the Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to
> everything under win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the
> promise controller win x64. Has anyone found one yet that works with
> win xp x64? My system is as follows:
>
> Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
> AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
> 1 gig of ram
> (2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
> (1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
> (1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
> (1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
> (1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
> SB Audigy 2
> PNY Quadra FX 500
>
> Thanks in-advance for any assistance.
>
> Craig

NoNoBadDog!

Can you then please explain to me how I am able to access the two drives on
the Promise 378 PATA IDE controller on my ASUS motherboard under Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition? The driver link that I provided is the *64 bit*
Promise driver. Until this driver is installed, Windows XP Pro x64 Ed.
cannot even see the controller, much less the drives. As I stated, I have 2
HDD on primary IDE, 2x optical on the secondary IDE, and 2 HDD on the
Promise 378 PATA IDE controller. This driver is the 64 bit driver. It
works only under x64. I did not write/compile the driver. I downloaded it
from the ASUS link I provided. Yet you say it does not exist. How can that
be? It is on their webpage, it exists on my system...it works....????

Why are you insisting it does not exist?

Bobby

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The promised Promise driver isn't available yet. OTOH, I can count, and
> you could easily move the WD 40Gb to be on regular IDE. Might mean moving
> things around a bit, but there's room.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> cvandevere wrote:
>> I have looked at the regular sources for drivers (planetamd64.......)
>> but have not found a Promise driver for running a IDE hardrive. I can
>> find the Promise RAID driver but not hte IDE one. I have access to
>> everything under win xp pro but can not see the IDE drive on the
>> promise controller win x64. Has anyone found one yet that works with
>> win xp x64? My system is as follows:
>>
>> Asus K8V Deluxe Motherboard
>> AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor
>> 1 gig of ram
>> (2) WD SATA 120 gig RAID 0 on VIA controller (Windows XP Pro)
>> (1) WD 160 gig on IDE (Windows XP Pro x64)
>> (1) WD 40 gig on IDE Promise controller
>> (1) Plextor 716A cd/dvd burner
>> (1) Plextor 708A cd/dvd burner
>> SB Audigy 2
>> PNY Quadra FX 500
>>
>> Thanks in-advance for any assistance.
>>
>> Craig

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, I could be wrong, certainly, but I was under the impression that the
Promise controller driver that is available was only the RAID driver, not the
non-RAID, IDE one.I know on my Promise, it won't work as a standalone IDE
controller when there's only a single drive attached, though when there are
two, you can then go configure it to treat them each as an array. Go figure.
But mine's a different model, and I ended up disabling the Promise entirely.

--
Charlie.