Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > So which dial up modems actually have drivers?

So which dial up modems actually have drivers?

Jeremy Reaban

Since my other question apparently won't be answered by someone who
actually knows the answer (I really apreciate the reply telling me I
need 64 bit drivers. Gee, I didn't know that, genius). Which dial up
modems actually have drivers for them?

Yes I get the same responce from some of the people here. They really dont
know what helping others mean.
I my-self dont know the answer to your question but I do know that connex
and pcTel, pine modems dont work because they are software driver modems.
Sorry I cant help you.

"Jeremy Reaban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Since my other question apparently won't be answered by someone who
> actually knows the answer (I really apreciate the reply telling me I
> need 64 bit drivers. Gee, I didn't know that, genius). Which dial up
> modems actually have drivers for them?

Dennis Pack

US Robotics 5610B has loaded drivers during install since the first CPP
release. The modem will dial out properly because I use it when I need to
sent a FAX, but for a dial-up IP the drivers need to be supplied by the
provider.

"t" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes I get the same responce from some of the people here. They really dont
> know what helping others mean.
> I my-self dont know the answer to your question but I do know that connex
> and pcTel, pine modems dont work because they are software driver modems.
> Sorry I cant help you.
>
> "Jeremy Reaban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Since my other question apparently won't be answered by someone who
>> actually knows the answer (I really apreciate the reply telling me I
>> need 64 bit drivers. Gee, I didn't know that, genius). Which dial up
>> modems actually have drivers for them?
>>
>> --

Wayne Wastier

Jeremy Reaban wrote:
> Since my other question apparently won't be answered by someone who
> actually knows the answer (I really apreciate the reply telling me I
> need 64 bit drivers. Gee, I didn't know that, genius). Which dial up
> modems actually have drivers for them?

There are generic Modem drivers built-in to Windows XP x64. Have you tried
one of them?

Dennis Pack

I just installed the Agere modem drivers from Planetamd64 on my laptop that
uses an Agere/Lucent chip set and it will also send a FAX, which means that
it will dial out properly. Again no dial-up service provider found that
supports XP X64 yet.

"t" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes I get the same responce from some of the people here. They really dont
> know what helping others mean.
> I my-self dont know the answer to your question but I do know that connex
> and pcTel, pine modems dont work because they are software driver modems.
> Sorry I cant help you.
>
> "Jeremy Reaban" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Since my other question apparently won't be answered by someone who
>> actually knows the answer (I really apreciate the reply telling me I
>> need 64 bit drivers. Gee, I didn't know that, genius). Which dial up
>> modems actually have drivers for them?
>>
>> --

Wayne Wastier

Dennis Pack wrote:
> I just installed the Agere modem drivers from Planetamd64 on my
> laptop that uses an Agere/Lucent chip set and it will also send a
> FAX, which means that it will dial out properly. Again no dial-up
> service provider found that supports XP X64 yet.

If you know how to manually setup your dialup based ISP, what OS you are
using should not be a problem.

Dennis Pack

The dialup programs that I've tried use TCP/IP and during install don't
regognize X64 as an operating system yet. I haven't tried to find a work
around because the only time that I use a modem is to FAX documents. I use
broadband for everything else.

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis Pack wrote:
>> I just installed the Agere modem drivers from Planetamd64 on my
>> laptop that uses an Agere/Lucent chip set and it will also send a
>> FAX, which means that it will dial out properly. Again no dial-up
>> service provider found that supports XP X64 yet.
>>

> If you know how to manually setup your dialup based ISP, what OS you are
> using should not be a problem.

Michael W. May

On Thu, 26 May 2005 22:42:22 -0400, Dennis Pack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The dialup programs that I've tried use TCP/IP and during install don't
> regognize X64 as an operating system yet. I haven't tried to find a work
> around because the only time that I use a modem is to FAX documents. I use
> broadband for everything else.
>

> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dennis Pack wrote:
>>> I just installed the Agere modem drivers from Planetamd64 on my
>>> laptop that uses an Agere/Lucent chip set and it will also send a
>>> FAX, which means that it will dial out properly. Again no dial-up
>>> service provider found that supports XP X64 yet.
>>>

>> If you know how to manually setup your dialup based ISP, what OS you are
>> using should not be a problem.

I contacted Multitech about drivers for my MT5656ZDX external serial (hardware based) after I had forced the MS supplied older Multitech external model drivers to be able get online to email them.

Within a day, I had a modded inf from them. Yes, a modded inf was all that was needed; maybe because it used the same drivers as supplied on the x64 CD (I'm no MVP, just a guess). Good support, good company, Multitech.

As was said above, I would guess that if you can see modem models from the same manufacturer as your modem (and are close to the same), or other manufactures models using the same chipset, you should be able force Windows to use those supplied drivers. This will give you basic use of the modem, but the return codes will probably not all translate, eg connected at 115200 (port speed) rather than reporting the connection speed, etc.

I've never used a dialer program other than the built in Network Connections. So long as you can find the local numbers you need it to dial, use the New Connection Wizard and when finished, check the properties and input alternate numbers, make a shortcut to it on the desktop and dial out without the ISP dialer.

Michael W. May

John Barnes

I got the US Robotics 5610B and it installed with built in drivers. Thanks
to the person who recommended it to me.