Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Install without CD boot

Install without CD boot

=?Utf-8?B?RnJlZGRpZQ==?=

Our computer will not boot to the cd drive. We are running nt 4.0 now and
need to install 2003. Any ideas will help.

M. Murcek

If the machine can't boot from CD, it may be too old a unit to install 2003
on. I know of no 64 bit hardware that does not support CD boot in the BIOS.
It could be possible to install over a network share, but you have to boot
into the new OS to install first.

"Freddie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Our computer will not boot to the cd drive. We are running nt 4.0 now and
> need to install 2003. Any ideas will help.

Andre Da Costa

I suspect your hardware is 32 bit also, you are running (Windows NT 4.0),
Windows XP Professional x64 cannot run on a 32 bit computer, it requires 64
bit hardware.

Read more here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888731
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Freddie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Our computer will not boot to the cd drive. We are running nt 4.0 now and
> need to install 2003. Any ideas will help.

Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\)

Andre Da Costa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I suspect your hardware is 32 bit also, you are running (Windows NT
> 4.0), Windows XP Professional x64 cannot run on a 32 bit computer, it
> requires 64 bit hardware.

I suspect he's plainly on the wrong group
--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Andre Da Costa

How could I have missed that, thanks Christian.
Freddie, here you go:
microsoft.public.windows.server.general
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...