Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 Vs. AOL

x64 Vs. AOL

=?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=

Hey guys what's up?
I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get AOL
to work!
I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me to
be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

Can anyone help?
Thnx

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Paranoiah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys what's up?
> I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get
> AOL
> to work!
> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

AOL need to produce a Windows x64 64-bit compatible version of their
software.

Please read the other posts in this group about AOL and x64 Windows
compatibility.
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Paranoiah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys what's up?
> I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get
> AOL
> to work!
> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thnx

Sam Crawford

On 25-May-2005, =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

That's a suprise. My roomate uses AOL and she can connect to the internet
using Firefox, as soon as she boots her computer. She doesn't have to do
anything with AOL to get online. We have DSL through Qwest and the
broadband account is with MSN.

That said, she uses XP Home, but I can't see how this would matter.

Andre Da Costa

Also from Mike:
If AOL require a patch for their product to work on x64 Edition then they
should be able to provide THEIR patch.
Contact them again for more information on the support for their products on
the x64 versions of Windows.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Paranoiah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys what's up?
> I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get
> AOL
> to work!
> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thnx

bp@comcast.net

On Wed, 25 May 2005 21:16:46 GMT, "Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 25-May-2005, =?Utf-8?B?UGFyYW5vaWFo?=
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me
>> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!

>That's a suprise. My roomate uses AOL and she can connect to the internet
>using Firefox, as soon as she boots her computer. She doesn't have to do
>anything with AOL to get online. We have DSL through Qwest and the
>broadband account is with MSN.
>
>That said, she uses XP Home, but I can't see how this would matter.

;( You're kidding right

Mark Gillespie

Paranoiah got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Hey guys what's up?
> I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get AOL
> to work!
> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me to
> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thnx

Sorry, AOL is for newbies, XP64 is for professionals. They are not
compatible.

Get a proper ISP...

Mark Gillespie

Andre Da Costa got up from the bar and shouted: :
> Also from Mike:
> If AOL require a patch for their product to work on x64 Edition then they
> should be able to provide THEIR patch.
> Contact them again for more information on the support for their products on
> the x64 versions of Windows.

Bit worrying that something as simply as AOL, embeds itself that deeply
into the OS, that it will not run on the 32bit compatibility layer.
That alone is reason enough to avoid AOL. (A.K.A AOHELL)

Tocapet

Just dump AOL and use MSIE and Outlook Express direct on your cable
provider. You're paying extra just to get the AOL interface. I for one,
get tired of having AOL thrown in my face every time I install a different
game or other program. You have to be watching and check the "don't
install" box or it will install. AOL is for beginners.
It's bloatware.

Let the flames begin

Tocapet

Rick

Your name says it all!

People that don't need someone to hold their hand while they surf the
internet avoid AOL like a case of the clap, or the plague!!

Paranoiah wrote:
> Hey guys what's up?
> I just installed my trial edition of x64 but unfortunately I cannot get AOL
> to work!
> I have Time Warner as a cable provider for broadband, but in order for me to
> be online I must sing on through AOL first. Grrrrrrr!!!
>
> Can anyone help?
> Thnx

Andre Da Costa

Tocapet, well said. Internet Explorer and Outlook should be enough for
anyone and nice one (which some people hate already comes with Windows), MSN
Explorer.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta