Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Re: Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

=?Utf-8?B?dW5uZWZlcg==?=

i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Yup, I'm here, Kathie. Actually, we've all been here since they opened the
> doors on Monday, having a fine old time. Now, if the problems with the
> Technology Advancement Program site would just all get resolved, we'd hold a
> party here.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Kathie Werner wrote:
> > New Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> >
> > Columnist Charlie Russel provides an overview of Windows XP
> > Professional x64 Edition, and explains what hardware and software it
> > supports.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
> >
> > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> > rights.
> >
> > Thanks,

Charlie Russel - MVP

No. x64 Edition will NOT run on your 32-bit processor. It will only run on
"x64" processors. These are AMD processors with amd64 technology and from
Intel with EM64T technology.
--
Charlie.

unnefer wrote:
> i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
> processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Yup, I'm here, Kathie. Actually, we've all been here since they
>> opened the doors on Monday, having a fine old time. Now, if the
>> problems with the Technology Advancement Program site would just all
>> get resolved, we'd hold a party here.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> Kathie Werner wrote:
>>> New Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
>>>
>>> Columnist Charlie Russel provides an overview of Windows XP
>>> Professional x64 Edition, and explains what hardware and software it
>>> supports.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
>>>
>>> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

>>> rights.
>>>
>>> Thanks,

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ5YW4=?=

will x64 work on an Intel p4 HT 2.8GHz processor? has the same bus speed as
the AMD x64 but i wasnt sure if it was the same concept.

"unnefer" wrote:

> i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
> processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
> > Yup, I'm here, Kathie. Actually, we've all been here since they opened the
> > doors on Monday, having a fine old time. Now, if the problems with the
> > Technology Advancement Program site would just all get resolved, we'd hold a
> > party here.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> >
> > Kathie Werner wrote:
> > > New Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> > >
> > > Columnist Charlie Russel provides an overview of Windows XP
> > > Professional x64 Edition, and explains what hardware and software it
> > > supports.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
> > >
> > > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> > > rights.
> > >
> > > Thanks,

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Not unless it supports the EM64T extension.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> will x64 work on an Intel p4 HT 2.8GHz processor? has the same bus speed
> as
> the AMD x64 but i wasnt sure if it was the same concept.
>
> "unnefer" wrote:
>
>> i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
>> processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Yup, I'm here, Kathie. Actually, we've all been here since they opened
>> > the
>> > doors on Monday, having a fine old time. Now, if the problems with the
>> > Technology Advancement Program site would just all get resolved, we'd
>> > hold a
>> > party here.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.

DKI

Its not the same concept

If Your P4 has this spefic feature EMT64 then yes you can install XP X64. If
it does not have EMT64 then no since EMT64 is required on the P4 to install
X64.

Hyper Threading only allows your CPU to multithead and the AMD x64 uses
Hyper Trasnport which is a Faster Bus that allows communication between
devices like the CPU and Memory to be quicker and reduce bottleneck.

There are threads that go futher into detial about the CPUs and also the
hypertransport and hyperthreading but since i delete alot of messages in
outlook news reader i can't find them for you.

"Bryan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> will x64 work on an Intel p4 HT 2.8GHz processor? has the same bus speed
> as
> the AMD x64 but i wasnt sure if it was the same concept.
>
> "unnefer" wrote:
>
>> i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
>> processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>> > Yup, I'm here, Kathie. Actually, we've all been here since they opened
>> > the
>> > doors on Monday, having a fine old time. Now, if the problems with the
>> > Technology Advancement Program site would just all get resolved, we'd
>> > hold a
>> > party here.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Charlie.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'd need to know the specific series of that Intel CPU, since they don't make
it any easier than they have to. However, I'd bet the answer is no, since I
don't think any of the CPUs that support EM64T are less than 3GHz. But the
concept is not at all the same -- it really has nothing to do with buss
speed, or hyperthreading, but has to do with whether the chip is 64-bit.

--
Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
======================

Bryan wrote:
> will x64 work on an Intel p4 HT 2.8GHz processor? has the same bus
> speed as the AMD x64 but i wasnt sure if it was the same concept.
>
> "unnefer" wrote:
>
>> i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
>> processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.
>>
>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> Yup, I'm here, Kathie. Actually, we've all been here since they
>>> opened the doors on Monday, having a fine old time. Now, if the
>>> problems with the Technology Advancement Program site would just
>>> all get resolved, we'd hold a party here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.

=?Utf-8?B?VGlqdSBUaG9tYXM=?=

Hi unfer,

No way!!!!

Windows X64 will not run on 32 bit processor.

"unnefer" wrote:

> i just want to be sure i understand. x64 will still run on my 32-bit
> processor until i by my new computer in 3 months.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
> > Yup, I'm here, Kathie. Actually, we've all been here since they opened the
> > doors on Monday, having a fine old time. Now, if the problems with the
> > Technology Advancement Program site would just all get resolved, we'd hold a
> > party here.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> >
> > Kathie Werner wrote:
> > > New Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> > >
> > > Columnist Charlie Russel provides an overview of Windows XP
> > > Professional x64 Edition, and explains what hardware and software it
> > > supports.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
> > >
> > > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> > > rights.
> > >
> > > Thanks,

John Barnes

And if you could install it, you would have to buy another copy for the new
computer, since it is OEM

news:(E-Mail Removed)...