Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Attn. Mike Brannigan. . .

Attn. Mike Brannigan. . .

Tony Sperling

Hi!

I successfully installed my download this morning and it's just fine, as
expected. Only - as I think it was you I had an earlier exchange with,
regarding the versioning of Win XP x64 pro, here are some comments. This
affects one game (sim?) Colin Mc Rae Rally5 and it installs perfectly but
still refuses to run on account of the OS being an evaluation copy. If you
remember, you stated that the only difference from the shiping product was
the time-bomb. I do not mistrust you but it is right there on the desktop -
"Evaluation copy", and this must come from somewhere and Codemasters must be
exploiting this information in some unknown way. It would be logical to
assume it's in the Registry somewhere. I realize it is not Microsoft's fault
and that every blame rests with Codemasters, but the level of stupidity that
this company is capable of putting inside a single application does not
build any confidence of making intellectual contact with them for a
solution - of course, I will write them in the morning; this was too good a
day - but can you or anybody think of a work-around? In spite of it all I am
addicted to this piece of sh*t.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the lack of support for
the MS Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick - even though it has been discontinued I
do think it would be nice if Microsoft could support their own products for
a period of their expected lifetime.

Regards, Tony. . .

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

news:u2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I successfully installed my download this morning and it's just fine, as
> expected. Only - as I think it was you I had an earlier exchange with,
> regarding the versioning of Win XP x64 pro, here are some comments. This
> affects one game (sim?) Colin Mc Rae Rally5 and it installs perfectly but
> still refuses to run on account of the OS being an evaluation copy. If you
> remember, you stated that the only difference from the shiping product was
> the time-bomb. I do not mistrust you but it is right there on the
> desktop - "Evaluation copy", and this must come from somewhere and
> Codemasters must be exploiting this information in some unknown way. It
> would be logical to assume it's in the Registry somewhere. I realize it is
> not Microsoft's fault and that every blame rests with Codemasters, but the
> level of stupidity that this company is capable of putting inside a single
> application does not build any confidence of making intellectual contact
> with them for a solution - of course, I will write them in the morning;
> this was too good a day - but can you or anybody think of a work-around?
> In spite of it all I am addicted to this piece of sh*t.

Tony,

If they are detecting the evaluation/time limited nature fo the OS then this
is the issue.
This was the case on the RC builds as they too had a time limit built in.
So what I said was correct the only difference is the time bomb between the
shipping final product you buy and the RCs/Eval copy you got by download.

The workaround may be to buy the full OS and use that.
It is possible they are detecting the time limited nature of the eval/trial
copy you have - that is of course up to them if they wish to run their
products only on fully purchased copies of an operating system.
Before you purchase you should wait for their response.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

news:u2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I successfully installed my download this morning and it's just fine, as
> expected. Only - as I think it was you I had an earlier exchange with,
> regarding the versioning of Win XP x64 pro, here are some comments. This
> affects one game (sim?) Colin Mc Rae Rally5 and it installs perfectly but
> still refuses to run on account of the OS being an evaluation copy. If you
> remember, you stated that the only difference from the shiping product was
> the time-bomb. I do not mistrust you but it is right there on the
> desktop - "Evaluation copy", and this must come from somewhere and
> Codemasters must be exploiting this information in some unknown way. It
> would be logical to assume it's in the Registry somewhere. I realize it is
> not Microsoft's fault and that every blame rests with Codemasters, but the
> level of stupidity that this company is capable of putting inside a single
> application does not build any confidence of making intellectual contact
> with them for a solution - of course, I will write them in the morning;
> this was too good a day - but can you or anybody think of a work-around?
> In spite of it all I am addicted to this piece of sh*t.
>
> The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the lack of support
> for the MS Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick - even though it has been
> discontinued I do think it would be nice if Microsoft could support their
> own products for a period of their expected lifetime.
>
> Regards, Tony. . .

MHPNW STAFF

Tony,
I bet that when you upgrade your trial software , and eliminate the time
bomb. The evaluation notations will go away.
You still have a full feature product in the trial....

Dennis
news:u2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I successfully installed my download this morning and it's just fine, as
> expected. Only - as I think it was you I had an earlier exchange with,
> regarding the versioning of Win XP x64 pro, here are some comments. This
> affects one game (sim?) Colin Mc Rae Rally5 and it installs perfectly but
> still refuses to run on account of the OS being an evaluation copy. If you
> remember, you stated that the only difference from the shiping product was
> the time-bomb. I do not mistrust you but it is right there on the

desktop -
> "Evaluation copy", and this must come from somewhere and Codemasters must

be
> exploiting this information in some unknown way. It would be logical to
> assume it's in the Registry somewhere. I realize it is not Microsoft's

fault
> and that every blame rests with Codemasters, but the level of stupidity

that
> this company is capable of putting inside a single application does not
> build any confidence of making intellectual contact with them for a
> solution - of course, I will write them in the morning; this was too good

> day - but can you or anybody think of a work-around? In spite of it all I

am
> addicted to this piece of sh*t.
>
> The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the lack of support

for
> the MS Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick - even though it has been discontinued I
> do think it would be nice if Microsoft could support their own products

for
> a period of their expected lifetime.
>
> Regards, Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

"Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

snip

> The workaround may be to buy the full OS and use that.
> It is possible they are detecting the time limited nature of the
> eval/trial copy you have - that is of course up to them if they wish to
> run their products only on fully purchased copies of an operating system.
> Before you purchase you should wait for their response.
>

> --

Sure it's up to them, and the reason I suspect is they lack the expertise to
answer 'weird' technical isssues that reflect their - oh what the heck!

Anyhow, great many thanks, and nothing short of the 'Fritz Chip' could
stop me from buying this small wonder.

Tony. . .

if string = "mike" then print "Hi mike" Bigmac Turdsplash Ruby 4 05-06-2009 01:28 PM
Re: "Mike" & "Mike" geothermal Computer Support 2 04-09-2004 09:52 PM
To Mike Treseler only fe VHDL 2 03-06-2004 12:28 AM
Mike Gunderloy's series stibiu MCSD 3 01-05-2004 10:57 AM
Mike Meyer's Certification Books Eli MCSE 6 11-30-2003 11:37 PM

Advertisments