Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > RE: Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

RE: Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlcGVhcnRyZWU=?=

Let me add that if the column can point us to hard info on what software will
or will not run under x64, I'll be happy.

--
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop...

"Kathie Werner" wrote:

> New Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
>
> Columnist Charlie Russel provides an overview of Windows XP Professional x64
> Edition, and explains what hardware and software it supports.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> Thanks,
> --
> Kathie Werner
> Tech editor, vendor [MS]

Charlie Russel - MVP

That is, as always, an ever moving target. But what we _can_ say with some
certainty is that 32-bit applications that do NOT require an operating system
level driver, and that aren't packaged with a 16 bit installer, will work.
This leaves some obvious problem areas: Anti-Virus programs; some games,
especially ones with copy protection schemes that use system level
drivers;utilities that directly manipulate the hardware, such as
defragmentation tools; and any application that has a 16-bit installer that
MS can't substitute a 32-bit version for. Those that do work, will generally
work as well, or even better, than they did under 32-bit Windows.

--
Charlie.

thepeartree wrote:
> Let me add that if the column can point us to hard info on what
> software will or will not run under x64, I'll be happy.
>

>> New Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
>>
>> Columnist Charlie Russel provides an overview of Windows XP
>> Professional x64 Edition, and explains what hardware and software it
>> supports.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
>>
>> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

>> rights.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kathie Werner
>> Tech editor, vendor [MS]

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlcGVhcnRyZWU=?=

Thanks, that does clear things up some. So... some obvious areas of conflict
will be things like CD/DVD burner software, as well. Not to mention mouse,
video, or keyboard drivers and software.

--

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> That is, as always, an ever moving target. But what we _can_ say with some
> certainty is that 32-bit applications that do NOT require an operating system
> level driver, and that aren't packaged with a 16 bit installer, will work.
> This leaves some obvious problem areas: Anti-Virus programs; some games,
> especially ones with copy protection schemes that use system level
> drivers;utilities that directly manipulate the hardware, such as
> defragmentation tools; and any application that has a 16-bit installer that
> MS can't substitute a 32-bit version for. Those that do work, will generally
> work as well, or even better, than they did under 32-bit Windows.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> thepeartree wrote:
> > Let me add that if the column can point us to hard info on what
> > software will or will not run under x64, I'll be happy.
> >

> >> New Column: Exploring Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
> >>
> >> Columnist Charlie Russel provides an overview of Windows XP
> >> Professional x64 Edition, and explains what hardware and software it
> >> supports.
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...loringx64.mspx
> >>
> >> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> >> rights.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Kathie Werner
> >> Tech editor, vendor [MS]

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, some CD/DVD software is having problems, others are working. And basic
functionality is in the OS. Mouse/keyboard/etc -- basic functionality in the
OS, extra stuff maybe not. There are not, for example, any intellipoint
drivers from MS. Video -- both the primary vendors (ATI and NVIDEA) have
updated drivers and packages available.

--
Charlie.

thepeartree wrote:
> Thanks, that does clear things up some. So... some obvious areas of
> conflict will be things like CD/DVD burner software, as well. Not to
> mention mouse, video, or keyboard drivers and software.
>

>> That is, as always, an ever moving target. But what we _can_ say
>> with some certainty is that 32-bit applications that do NOT require
>> an operating system level driver, and that aren't packaged with a 16
>> bit installer, will work. This leaves some obvious problem areas:
>> Anti-Virus programs; some games, especially ones with copy
>> protection schemes that use system level drivers;utilities that
>> directly manipulate the hardware, such as defragmentation tools; and
>> any application that has a 16-bit installer that MS can't substitute
>> a 32-bit version for. Those that do work, will generally work as
>> well, or even better, than they did under 32-bit Windows.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> thepeartree wrote:
>>> Let me add that if the column can point us to hard info on what
>>> software will or will not run under x64, I'll be happy.

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlcGVhcnRyZWU=?=

Well, it all becomes a moot point until anti-virus, anti-spyware/ad-ware, and
firewall vendors catch up. No-one in their right mind can operate without
sufficient security in place.

--

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Yes, some CD/DVD software is having problems, others are working. And basic
> functionality is in the OS. Mouse/keyboard/etc -- basic functionality in the
> OS, extra stuff maybe not. There are not, for example, any intellipoint
> drivers from MS. Video -- both the primary vendors (ATI and NVIDEA) have
> updated drivers and packages available.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> thepeartree wrote:
> > Thanks, that does clear things up some. So... some obvious areas of
> > conflict will be things like CD/DVD burner software, as well. Not to
> > mention mouse, video, or keyboard drivers and software.
> >

> >> That is, as always, an ever moving target. But what we _can_ say
> >> with some certainty is that 32-bit applications that do NOT require
> >> an operating system level driver, and that aren't packaged with a 16
> >> bit installer, will work. This leaves some obvious problem areas:
> >> Anti-Virus programs; some games, especially ones with copy
> >> protection schemes that use system level drivers;utilities that
> >> directly manipulate the hardware, such as defragmentation tools; and
> >> any application that has a 16-bit installer that MS can't substitute
> >> a 32-bit version for. Those that do work, will generally work as
> >> well, or even better, than they did under 32-bit Windows.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.

Charlie Russel - MVP

A-V -- Avast
Anti-Spyware -- all three of my choices work fine - MS, Spybot S&D, AdAware.
Firewall -- I use the Windows Firewall and am happy with it. Of course, my
machines mostly sit behind an ISA server. However, I've had the x64 box
directly connected to the internet for about 2 weeks now, so that I could let
someone use it as a development platform for a piece of software I want. It's
still happy and uncompromised.

--
Charlie.

thepeartree wrote:
> Well, it all becomes a moot point until anti-virus,
> anti-spyware/ad-ware, and firewall vendors catch up. No-one in their
> right mind can operate without sufficient security in place.
>

>> Yes, some CD/DVD software is having problems, others are working.
>> And basic functionality is in the OS. Mouse/keyboard/etc -- basic
>> functionality in the OS, extra stuff maybe not. There are not, for
>> example, any intellipoint drivers from MS. Video -- both the
>> primary vendors (ATI and NVIDEA) have updated drivers and packages
>> available.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> thepeartree wrote:
>>> Thanks, that does clear things up some. So... some obvious areas of
>>> conflict will be things like CD/DVD burner software, as well. Not to
>>> mention mouse, video, or keyboard drivers and software.

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlcGVhcnRyZWU=?=

Well, you'll pardon me if I don't share your confidence in either Avast! or
the XP firewall. As you say, you spend time behind a brick wall. Having spent
a year or so testing anti-virus products, I prefer something a little more
comprehensive. Similar comment about the firewall. In any case, I can't
afford to take any chances.

Later,
Jeff

--

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> A-V -- Avast
> Anti-Spyware -- all three of my choices work fine - MS, Spybot S&D, AdAware.
> Firewall -- I use the Windows Firewall and am happy with it. Of course, my
> machines mostly sit behind an ISA server. However, I've had the x64 box
> directly connected to the internet for about 2 weeks now, so that I could let
> someone use it as a development platform for a piece of software I want. It's
> still happy and uncompromised.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> thepeartree wrote:
> > Well, it all becomes a moot point until anti-virus,
> > anti-spyware/ad-ware, and firewall vendors catch up. No-one in their
> > right mind can operate without sufficient security in place.
> >

> >> Yes, some CD/DVD software is having problems, others are working.
> >> And basic functionality is in the OS. Mouse/keyboard/etc -- basic
> >> functionality in the OS, extra stuff maybe not. There are not, for
> >> example, any intellipoint drivers from MS. Video -- both the
> >> primary vendors (ATI and NVIDEA) have updated drivers and packages
> >> available.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.

Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\)

thepeartree <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, you'll pardon me if I don't share your confidence in either
> Avast! or the XP firewall. As you say, you spend time behind a brick
> wall. Having spent a year or so testing anti-virus products, I prefer
> something a little more comprehensive. Similar comment about the
> firewall. In any case, I can't afford to take any chances.
>
> Later,
> Jeff

No problem here for the last three weeks with avast (a few updates and
upgrades already) and the XPx64 firewall.
I first installed Tiny Firewall but too much side effects for me.

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, if you need excuses, feel free to use this as one, then. But frankly,
if you don't spend your time browsing around sites you probably know you
shouldn't, and you set up your email client to only read in plain text, and
you don't run peer to peer file sharing software, then you really don't need
much of anything beyond Windows firewall and common sense.

Yes, I'd prefer it if Trend were running on x64, and it will be soon. But
until then, Avast is adequate and works fine. If you have some other you
prefer, by all means bug them about an x64 version.

As for the XP firewall -- the new one that first appeared with XP SP2 is
pretty good, IMHO. Yes, it isn't as full featured as some others, and no it
doesn't filter outbound. But I'm not worried about outbound unless I have a
big network, and then you need that brick wall. And, as I said, I've had
my x64 machine sitting directly on the internet for 2 weeks at least, without
a problem.

--
Charlie.

Charlie Russel - MVP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Well, if you need excuses, feel free to use this as one, then. But
> frankly, if you don't spend your time browsing around sites you
> probably know you shouldn't, and you set up your email client to only
> read in plain text, and you don't run peer to peer file sharing
> software, then you really don't need much of anything beyond Windows
> firewall and common sense.

Come on buddy, that's exactly what 80% of the end users are doing
What do you expect ???

Cheers