Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Help with Trial XP64 Problems

Help with Trial XP64 Problems

Richard G Carruthers

My XP 64 trial disc arrived yesterday and I installed it yesterday. The
install went beautiful except for three Problems:

1)Have Nvidia GForce2 MX 100/200.Listed as Standard Adapter. Have tried to
install drivers suggested but they will not install -error reading no
hardware

2)Have major wavely horizontal lines, I think caused by the lack of the
above drivers

3)Problems with setting up my network, but those have been solved by buying
a hub.

Would appreciate any help with the above problems

Wayne Wastier

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My XP 64 trial disc arrived yesterday and I installed it yesterday. The
> install went beautiful except for three Problems:
>
> 1)Have Nvidia GForce2 MX 100/200.Listed as Standard Adapter. Have tried
> to install drivers suggested but they will not install -error reading no
> hardware

You may not want to upgrade your video card, but it may be the only way to
get your system working correctly. Just like you had to upgrade your CPU and
motherboard to go from 32 bit to 64 bit.

I did find a cheaper solution if you are willing to go to an ATI based card:

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

Make sure that the drivers you are using have a properly decorated INF,
that sounds like the issue here and is a common reason drivers wont install.

Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\)

Richard G Carruthers wrote:
> My XP 64 trial disc arrived yesterday and I installed it yesterday.
> The install went beautiful except for three Problems:
>
> 1)Have Nvidia GForce2 MX 100/200.Listed as Standard Adapter. Have
> tried to install drivers suggested but they will not install -error
> reading no hardware
>
> 2)Have major wavely horizontal lines, I think caused by the lack of
> the above drivers
>
> 3)Problems with setting up my network, but those have been solved by
> buying a hub.
>
> Would appreciate any help with the above problems

Hi Richard

Try the nVidia 52.14 drivers for x64. Those are old drivers used during the
beta but it's working great here.
The 71.84 are only for 6600 and up.

If I remember well, I found the drivers on the nVidia website.

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Richard G Carruthers

Solved video Problems by upgrading to a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. Thanks to
all who replied the assist is much appreciated

"Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My XP 64 trial disc arrived yesterday and I installed it yesterday. The
> install went beautiful except for three Problems:
>
> 1)Have Nvidia GForce2 MX 100/200.Listed as Standard Adapter. Have tried
> to install drivers suggested but they will not install -error reading no
> hardware
>
> 2)Have major wavely horizontal lines, I think caused by the lack of the
> above drivers
>
> 3)Problems with setting up my network, but those have been solved by
> buying a hub.
>
> Would appreciate any help with the above problems

Roy Coorne

Wayne Wastier wrote:
> "Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>My XP 64 trial disc arrived yesterday and I installed it yesterday. The
>>install went beautiful except for three Problems:
>>
>>1)Have Nvidia GForce2 MX 100/200.Listed as Standard Adapter. Have tried
>>to install drivers suggested but they will not install -error reading no
>>hardware

> You may not want to upgrade your video card, but it may be the only way to
> get your system working correctly. Just like you had to upgrade your CPU and
> motherboard to go from 32 bit to 64 bit.

'Upgrading' the video card means using a driver for 64 bit.

For the Nvidia GeForce 2 MX there is a 64 bit driver at
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_71.84.html

Roy

Wayne Wastier

Roy Coorne wrote:
> Wayne Wastier wrote:
>> "Richard G Carruthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:u$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> My XP 64 trial disc arrived yesterday and I installed it yesterday.
>>> The install went beautiful except for three Problems:
>>>
>>> 1)Have Nvidia GForce2 MX 100/200.Listed as Standard Adapter. Have
>>> tried to install drivers suggested but they will not install
>>> -error reading no hardware
>>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122222
>>
>> You may not want to upgrade your video card, but it may be the only
>> way to get your system working correctly. Just like you had to
>> upgrade your CPU and motherboard to go from 32 bit to 64 bit.

> 'Upgrading' the video card means using a driver for 64 bit.
>
> For the Nvidia GeForce 2 MX there is a 64 bit driver at
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_71.84.html
>
> Roy

Cool. The driver I looked at was for 6600 series and up.