Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > X64 trial to x64 full verion OEM

X64 trial to x64 full verion OEM

=?Utf-8?B?TWFsY29sbQ==?=

Rang MS for answer to this question - they said to place it on newsgroup for
answer.

When you put trial version on system (recieved last week from training with
AMD/MS) - do you have to reload from scratch when you get the full version
and wish to activate this on the system?

I thought all you had to do was to activate new OEM to get full licence.

=?Utf-8?B?cnVzc193aWxs?=

i think you can upgrade the trial version to the oem version without having
to reformat (somebody correct me if i am incorrect )

"Malcolm" wrote:

> Rang MS for answer to this question - they said to place it on newsgroup for
> answer.
>
> When you put trial version on system (recieved last week from training with
> AMD/MS) - do you have to reload from scratch when you get the full version
> and wish to activate this on the system?
>
> I thought all you had to do was to activate new OEM to get full licence.

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

You have to do an inplace upgrade to change the PID

Charlie Russel - MVP

You should, at the very least, be able to do an in place upgrade. But, of
course, since none of us have the new CDs yet, none of us can be sure exactly
what the details will be.

--
Charlie.

Malcolm wrote:
> Rang MS for answer to this question - they said to place it on
> newsgroup for answer.
>
> When you put trial version on system (recieved last week from
> training with AMD/MS) - do you have to reload from scratch when you
> get the full version and wish to activate this on the system?
>
> I thought all you had to do was to activate new OEM to get full
> licence.

Andre Da Costa

Thats why I say, just do a dual boot.
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rang MS for answer to this question - they said to place it on newsgroup
> for
> answer.
>
> When you put trial version on system (recieved last week from training
> with
> AMD/MS) - do you have to reload from scratch when you get the full version
> and wish to activate this on the system?
>
> I thought all you had to do was to activate new OEM to get full licence.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Does the Technologoy Advancement Program disk we've all ordered force a whole
disk reformat? I know it certainly _could_ do so, depending on how the SIF
files are written.

--
Charlie.

"Joseph Conway [MSFT]" wrote:
> You have to do an inplace upgrade to change the PID

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
It shouldn't force a format of the disk.
It is however OEM media and OEM media is limited to upgrading other OEM
media, not other types of media.
So you could do a repair installation, but not a inplace upgrade.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: X64 trial to x64 full verion OEM
>Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:13:42 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
>
>Does the Technologoy Advancement Program disk we've all ordered force a

whole
>disk reformat? I know it certainly _could_ do so, depending on how the SIF
>files are written.
>
>--
>Charlie.
>
>"Joseph Conway [MSFT]" wrote:
>> You have to do an inplace upgrade to change the PID

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, "repair install" is what I think of as an in-place upgrade, but you're
right, repair install is a more accurate term.

Good to know it won't format the disk -- in which case, I'm good to go when
it gets here. I'm currently using MSDN media since it's still a test bed
machine, but I want to move it into production as soon as I get the final
media.

--
Charlie.

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" wrote:
> Hello,
> It shouldn't force a format of the disk.
> It is however OEM media and OEM media is limited to upgrading other
> OEM media, not other types of media.
> So you could do a repair installation, but not a inplace upgrade.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> rights --------------------
>> From: "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Subject: Re: X64 trial to x64 full verion OEM
>> Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:13:42 -0700
>> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
>> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general:3857 X-Tomcat-NG:
>> microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
>>
>> Does the Technologoy Advancement Program disk we've all ordered
>> force a whole disk reformat? I know it certainly _could_ do so,
>> depending on how the SIF files are written.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> "Joseph Conway [MSFT]" wrote:
>>> You have to do an inplace upgrade to change the PID

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

Sorry we use different terms dependant on what portion of the business
we're in. Either way, that will change the PID to full product when the
time comes.