Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New Computer / Install

New Computer / Install

=?Utf-8?B?dXB0YXBodW5r?=

I am planning on installing x64 on a new computer I am building when I get
home from work. Does anyone see any serious incompatibilities I might run
into so that I can avoid the hassle and install XP Pro instead?

Specifically, what sort of driver issues can I expect Raid driver problems?
SATA problems? Cordless keyboard / mouse problems?

System Specs:
- AMD FX-55 2.6Ghz
- DFI Lan Party NForce4 SLI-DR Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE/PCI-E/SATA/DDR/ATX 64 939
- OCZ OCZ52012U ModStream ATX 2.0 520W Power Supply
- 2 GB DDR (4 pcs 512) PC-4000 (500) OCZ Dual Channel GoldVX
(OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K)
- 2x WD 740GD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor Raid 1
- 1x WESTERN DIGITAL 250 GB 2500JD GB SATA 8 MEG CACHE 7200 RPM
- 2x BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC 256 PCI-E Dual DVI-I running in SLI
- Logitech® Cordless Desktop® MX™ 3100

DKI

Software wise the software would work unless it has a 16bit installer or is
16bit based incase that won't work.

32bit based driver software will not work

Splinter Cell chaos theory will not work untill ubisoft pull there fingers
and and patch it up to work on X64

you nvidia card is supported and the drivers are avilable on the nvidia site
but the mobo drivers i am not sure so you need to check the manufuctures of
the chipsets and not DFI unless they are posting them on there site.

"uptaphunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am planning on installing x64 on a new computer I am building when I get
> home from work. Does anyone see any serious incompatibilities I might run
> into so that I can avoid the hassle and install XP Pro instead?
>
> Specifically, what sort of driver issues can I expect Raid driver
> problems?
> SATA problems? Cordless keyboard / mouse problems?
>
> System Specs:
> - AMD FX-55 2.6Ghz
> - DFI Lan Party NForce4 SLI-DR Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE/PCI-E/SATA/DDR/ATX 64 939
> - OCZ OCZ52012U ModStream ATX 2.0 520W Power Supply
> - 2 GB DDR (4 pcs 512) PC-4000 (500) OCZ Dual Channel GoldVX
> (OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K)
> - 2x WD 740GD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor Raid 1
> - 1x WESTERN DIGITAL 250 GB 2500JD GB SATA 8 MEG CACHE 7200 RPM
> - 2x BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC 256 PCI-E Dual DVI-I running in SLI
> - Logitech Cordless Desktop MXT 3100

DKI

also missed this part out logitech won't be releasing the x64 compatable
software for the features till june or july time

"DKI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Software wise the software would work unless it has a 16bit installer or
> is 16bit based incase that won't work.
>
> 32bit based driver software will not work
>
> Splinter Cell chaos theory will not work untill ubisoft pull there fingers
> and and patch it up to work on X64
>
> you nvidia card is supported and the drivers are avilable on the nvidia
> site but the mobo drivers i am not sure so you need to check the
> manufuctures of the chipsets and not DFI unless they are posting them on
> there site.
>
> "uptaphunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am planning on installing x64 on a new computer I am building when I get
>> home from work. Does anyone see any serious incompatibilities I might run
>> into so that I can avoid the hassle and install XP Pro instead?
>>
>> Specifically, what sort of driver issues can I expect Raid driver
>> problems?
>> SATA problems? Cordless keyboard / mouse problems?
>>
>> System Specs:
>> - AMD FX-55 2.6Ghz
>> - DFI Lan Party NForce4 SLI-DR Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE/PCI-E/SATA/DDR/ATX 64
>> 939
>> - OCZ OCZ52012U ModStream ATX 2.0 520W Power Supply
>> - 2 GB DDR (4 pcs 512) PC-4000 (500) OCZ Dual Channel GoldVX
>> (OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K)
>> - 2x WD 740GD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor Raid 1
>> - 1x WESTERN DIGITAL 250 GB 2500JD GB SATA 8 MEG CACHE 7200 RPM
>> - 2x BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC 256 PCI-E Dual DVI-I running in SLI
>> - Logitech Cordless Desktop MXT 3100

Patrick

If you are going with 2 gigs of memory and want OCZ see if you
can get what you want in 1 gig modules (duel channel tested) instead
of populating all 4 banks - doing so will most likely kill the reduce the
speed of the memory modules by virtue of the chipset limitations
and that would be a king sized waste of money and MHz.

and the rest will be fine cept "maybe" logitech.

Would also recommend PC Power&Cooling's
TURBO-COOL 510 Express / SLI over anything out there.

"uptaphunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am planning on installing x64 on a new computer I am building when I get
> home from work. Does anyone see any serious incompatibilities I might run
> into so that I can avoid the hassle and install XP Pro instead?
>
> Specifically, what sort of driver issues can I expect Raid driver

problems?
> SATA problems? Cordless keyboard / mouse problems?
>
> System Specs:
> - AMD FX-55 2.6Ghz
> - DFI Lan Party NForce4 SLI-DR Audio/GB-LAN/IEEE/PCI-E/SATA/DDR/ATX 64 939
> - OCZ OCZ52012U ModStream ATX 2.0 520W Power Supply
> - 2 GB DDR (4 pcs 512) PC-4000 (500) OCZ Dual Channel GoldVX
> (OCZ5001024ELDCGEVX-K)
> - 2x WD 740GD 74 GB SATA 10K Raptor Raid 1
> - 1x WESTERN DIGITAL 250 GB 2500JD GB SATA 8 MEG CACHE 7200 RPM
> - 2x BFG Geforce 6800 GT OC 256 PCI-E Dual DVI-I running in SLI
> - Logitech Cordless Desktop MXT 3100

David R. Norton MVP

Install XP Pro to drive "C", install the X64 trial (or OEM if you have
it) and dual boot. You'll be able to find drivers, etc. while still
being able to run your needed work in XP Pro as I think you'll find
that you'll have to wait for some of the drivers and software you'll
need.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>