Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Media Center x64?

Media Center x64?

=?Utf-8?B?YmdlZXppZXNy?=

I just purchased a new computer that has a Pentium 4 650. It came with
Windows Media Center 2005 installed. I enjoy all the features Media Center
has to offer, however I am interested in Windows 64bit Edition. Is there any
way I can have both OSs installed at the smae time, or is there any plans for
a Media Center x64? I am open for suggestions.

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

Currently there are no plans for a MCE x64 edition.

Juan Jansen

What about a Windows XP Tablet PC x64 Edition?

""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Currently there are no plans for a MCE x64 edition.

Charlie Russel - MVP

nothing yet. But then there aren't any Tablet PC available yet that are x64
capable. I'm guessing we're still a ways out from that, though I wouldn't be
surprised to hear someone was doing it, just haven't so far. I'm hoping,
really, since I'm a Tablet PC MVP as well, and love my Tablets. But want x64
on a tablet.

--
Charlie.

Juan Jansen wrote:
> What about a Windows XP Tablet PC x64 Edition?
>

> ""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Currently there are no plans for a MCE x64 edition.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I have heard rumours of some folks enabling many of the MCE features on an
x64 box. But I suspect this is something you'll find out more about in MCE
specific communities and newsgroups. (OTOH, it sure makes sense for an MCE
edition of x64 -- the hardware should rock on nice big digital media files
and features.)

--
Charlie.

bgeeziesr wrote:
> I just purchased a new computer that has a Pentium 4 650. It came with
> Windows Media Center 2005 installed. I enjoy all the features Media
> Center has to offer, however I am interested in Windows 64bit
> Edition. Is there any way I can have both OSs installed at the smae
> time, or is there any plans for a Media Center x64? I am open for
> suggestions.

Ryan Hoffman [Extended64.com]

It *is* possible to get the MCE application to install under x64, with a
little hard work .

In a screenshot that I took for an article on Extended64.com, I have the MCE
app in the recent programs area of my start menu:
http://www.extended64.com/photos/art...icture131.aspx.

Of course, it will be running as a 32-bit process under the .NET 1.1
Framework, but it's better then nothing. If you want to use the MCE App for
TV, an x64 supported TV Tuner (which also works under MCE) is required; and
that could be a problem right now.

--
Ryan Hoffman
Extended64.com - http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have heard rumours of some folks enabling many of the MCE features on an
>x64 box. But I suspect this is something you'll find out more about in MCE
>specific communities and newsgroups. (OTOH, it sure makes sense for an MCE
>edition of x64 -- the hardware should rock on nice big digital media files
>and features.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> bgeeziesr wrote:
>> I just purchased a new computer that has a Pentium 4 650. It came with
>> Windows Media Center 2005 installed. I enjoy all the features Media
>> Center has to offer, however I am interested in Windows 64bit
>> Edition. Is there any way I can have both OSs installed at the smae
>> time, or is there any plans for a Media Center x64? I am open for
>> suggestions.

Andre Da Costa

I read on Paul Thurrotts WinInfo Shorts, the version of Media Center after
(Emerald) is suppose to be 64 bit. (Speculation).
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"bgeeziesr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just purchased a new computer that has a Pentium 4 650. It came with
> Windows Media Center 2005 installed. I enjoy all the features Media Center
> has to offer, however I am interested in Windows 64bit Edition. Is there
> any
> way I can have both OSs installed at the smae time, or is there any plans
> for
> a Media Center x64? I am open for suggestions.

=?Utf-8?B?UmF2bGVu?=

Are you sure about that? An MS rep said that there's already an x64 MCE in
beta. Check this thread, 7th post from the top.

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2

Ravlen

""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" wrote:

> Currently there are no plans for a MCE x64 edition.

WM

Nope. There is no plan for it before Longhorn. And doing so before Longhorn
would be rather complicated...

"Ravlen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you sure about that? An MS rep said that there's already an x64 MCE in
> beta. Check this thread, 7th post from the top.
>
> http://www.monarchcomputer.com/forum...5&pagenumber=2
>
> Ravlen
>
> ""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" wrote:
>
>> Currently there are no plans for a MCE x64 edition.

=?Utf-8?B?UmF2bGVu?=

OK, then I'm still wondering why an MS rep said outright that MCE x64 is
running in-house, just as a beta?

Ravlen