Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > hosts - for DNS Query

hosts - for DNS Query

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
WXP-64 retail;

while i walked through the directory-structure i found out, that i have NO
system\drivers\etc\host

Is there no local nameresolution anymore, or if I edit it myself with
creating \etc do i have to add a registry-entry for the searchpad ?

regards jk

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> WXP-64 retail;
>
> while i walked through the directory-structure i found out, that i have NO
> system\drivers\etc\host
>
> Is there no local nameresolution anymore, or if I edit it myself with
> creating \etc do i have to add a registry-entry for the searchpad ?
>
> regards jk

Because it is actually at ...\system32\drivers\etc\host

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> WXP-64 retail;
>
> while i walked through the directory-structure i found out, that i have NO
> system\drivers\etc\host
>
> Is there no local nameresolution anymore, or if I edit it myself with
> creating \etc do i have to add a registry-entry for the searchpad ?
>
> regards jk

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
i did realise my "system32" fault. !!

But this \system32\etc\ and hosts (below this) are NOT installed !

regards jk

Juergen Kluth

Sorry, for correction :
\system32\drivers\etc\
\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
neither folder nor file exists , nor lmhosts ....

regards jk
might be a BUG

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> i did realise my "system32" fault. !!
>
> But this \system32\etc\ and hosts (below this) are NOT installed !
>
> regards jk

Odd, as it is there on my system.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Juergen Kluth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> i did realise my "system32" fault. !!
>
> But this \system32\etc\ and hosts (below this) are NOT installed !
>
> regards jk

Thomas G. Madsen

Juergen Kluth wrote:

> But this \system32\etc\ and hosts (below this) are NOT
> installed !

It is here.

--
Regards
Madsen

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
i checked my installation cd (englisch with mutli german / japanes pack)
host and lmhosts are in there ??

could you post a directory listing of \etc
regards jk

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'll repeat what others have said. The directory is there, and the file is
there, on a clean, fresh, x64 Edition install. However, I would caution you
to make sure you've got your Explorer set to be able to see Protected System
Files -- given that the directory is where it is, it would be hidden from you
otherwise.

--
Charlie.

Juergen Kluth wrote:
> Sorry, for correction :
> \system32\drivers\etc\
> \system32\drivers\etc\hosts
> neither folder nor file exists , nor lmhosts ....
>
> regards jk
> might be a BUG

Juergen Kluth

HI,
I did a more specific research, I do have the following effect :

I can find system32\drivers\etc + disdn folder and files in these folder
when i use
64 bit explorer or start cmd via "start"-"run"

I CAN'T see these folder if i use 32bit explorer, or (32bit) Total-Commander
or use cmd, started on the commandline of total-commander.
I am already able to change within cmd to change in \etc allthough it was
not listed before, as u can see here :

**starting cmd via total-commander-command line
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers>dir
Volume in drive D has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 6836-65C9

Directory of D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers

18.05.2005 15:18 <DIR> .
18.05.2005 15:18 <DIR> ..
0 File(s) 0 bytes
2 Dir(s) 1.868.353.536 bytes free

**no expected files/lolders found

D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers>cd etc

D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc>dir
Volume in drive D has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 6836-65C9

Directory of D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc

18.05.2005 17:10 <DIR> .
18.05.2005 17:10 <DIR> ..
25.03.2005 14:00 3.440.660 gm.dls
25.03.2005 14:00 646 gmreadme.txt
25.03.2005 14:00 734 hosts
25.03.2005 14:00 3.683 lmhosts.sam
25.03.2005 14:00 407 networks
25.03.2005 14:00 799 protocol
25.03.2005 14:00 14.132 services
7 File(s) 3.461.061 bytes
2 Dir(s) 1.868.353.536 bytes free

D:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\etc>

**changing and listing possible

I do have the same effect if I start 32-bit Explorer, navigate to
system32\drivers, create a new shortcut "cmd" and execute this !
**u might have to walk down manually

At last, if i use Total-Cmd I find a file "hfile.txt" -0 bytes- which is
marked hidden/system.

Can u confirm ?
Any clue ?

regards jk

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll repeat what others have said. The directory is there, and the file is
> there, on a clean, fresh, x64 Edition install. However, I would caution
> you to make sure you've got your Explorer set to be able to see Protected
> System Files -- given that the directory is where it is, it would be
> hidden from you otherwise.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> Juergen Kluth wrote:
>> Sorry, for correction :
>> \system32\drivers\etc\
>> \system32\drivers\etc\hosts
>> neither folder nor file exists , nor lmhosts ....
>>
>> regards jk
>> might be a BUG

R. B.

See the post on the newsgroup titled "32bit -- 64bit different
browser-results" This is due to WOW64 filesystem redirection.