Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is anyone maintaining a list of x64 software?

Is anyone maintaining a list of x64 software?

Jon Grieve

I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64
versions of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip,
Acrobat Reader, Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many
people and many, many applications that could be added to the list.

I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in.
So, you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an
x64 version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3.
This is just an example.

I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form
of interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta
if required."

Just thinking out loud...

Jon

Torrey Lauer

I just e-mailed Adobe to find out when they expect to have a 64 bit version
of Adobe Reader.

--
Torrey Lauer
Modern Travel Services
"Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64 versions
>of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip, Acrobat Reader,
>Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many people and many,
>many applications that could be added to the list.
>
> I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
> check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in. So,
> you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an x64
> version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3. This
> is just an example.
>
> I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form of
> interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
> WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
> Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta if
> required."
>
> Just thinking out loud...
>
> Jon

Andre Da Costa

You can also check out Exteneded64's applications thread:
http://www.extended64.com/forums/426/ShowPost.aspx#426
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64 versions
>of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip, Acrobat Reader,
>Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many people and many,
>many applications that could be added to the list.
>
> I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
> check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in. So,
> you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an x64
> version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3. This
> is just an example.
>
> I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form of
> interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
> WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
> Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta if
> required."
>
> Just thinking out loud...
>
> Jon

M. Murcek

This one has hardware and software compatibility tracking lists:

http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm

"Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64 versions
>of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip, Acrobat Reader,
>Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many people and many,
>many applications that could be added to the list.
>
> I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
> check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in. So,
> you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an x64
> version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3. This
> is just an example.
>
> I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form of
> interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
> WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
> Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta if
> required."
>
> Just thinking out loud...
>
> Jon

Monster

A lot of things aren't ready for porting to 64bit just yet. The main 64bit
compiler visual studio 2005 is still in beta, there is no virtual software
that supports x64 guest hosts and ms seems to not have bothered to port
everything, like the JET engine. I'll have a hard time asking people to
install mssql server just to use my software.

So, the porting has begun but there are still a few ways to go

"Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64 versions
>of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip, Acrobat Reader,
>Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many people and many,
>many applications that could be added to the list.
>
> I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
> check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in. So,
> you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an x64
> version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3. This
> is just an example.
>
> I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form of
> interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
> WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
> Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta if
> required."
>
> Just thinking out loud...
>
> Jon

Jon Grieve

Good point. Although, I'm confused how Microsoft are able to ship a 64-bit
OS without a 64-bit compiler that's non-beta..??

Back to my original post... I got a response from WinZip... here's what it
says:

"We at WinZip Computing, Inc., occasionally receive this request.
However, to date we have not received enough user requests to warrant
adding this to the program. I will forward your vote for this feature
to development."

So, do bother to mail then and let them know, at help @ winzip d0t com,
m'key

Jon

"Monster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A lot of things aren't ready for porting to 64bit just yet. The main 64bit
>compiler visual studio 2005 is still in beta, there is no virtual software
>that supports x64 guest hosts and ms seems to not have bothered to port
>everything, like the JET engine. I'll have a hard time asking people to
>install mssql server just to use my software.
>
> So, the porting has begun but there are still a few ways to go
>
> "Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64 versions
>>of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip, Acrobat
>>Reader, Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many people and
>>many, many applications that could be added to the list.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
>> check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in.
>> So, you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an
>> x64 version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3.
>> This is just an example.
>>
>> I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form of
>> interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
>> WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
>> Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta if
>> required."
>>
>> Just thinking out loud...
>>
>> Jon

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

"Jon Grieve" <me@jongrieve!net> wrote in message
news:eLBX%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good point. Although, I'm confused how Microsoft are able to ship a
> 64-bit OS without a 64-bit compiler that's non-beta..??
>
> Back to my original post... I got a response from WinZip... here's what
> it says:
>
> "We at WinZip Computing, Inc., occasionally receive this request.
> However, to date we have not received enough user requests to warrant
> adding this to the program. I will forward your vote for this feature
> to development."
>
> So, do bother to mail then and let them know, at help @ winzip d0t com,
> m'key
>
> Jon

Microsoft didn't use VS to build the OS, they use the Platform SDK and DDK
compilers which are available since a couple of years now for 64 bit.

Willy.

Soma11

thanks for link!

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can also check out Exteneded64's applications thread:
> http://www.extended64.com/forums/426/ShowPost.aspx#426
> --
>
> Andre
>
> "Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64 versions
>>of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip, Acrobat
>>Reader, Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many people and
>>many, many applications that could be added to the list.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
>> check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in.
>> So, you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an
>> x64 version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3.
>> This is just an example.
>>
>> I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form of
>> interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
>> WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
>> Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta if
>> required."
>>
>> Just thinking out loud...
>>
>> Jon

Soma11

thanks for link!

"M. Murcek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This one has hardware and software compatibility tracking lists:
>
> http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/w...64hardlist.htm
>
> "Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was thinking of contacting some companies to enquire about x64 versions
>>of their software. I'm thinking about the likes of WinZip, Acrobat
>>Reader, Textpad and others that I use. I expect there are many people and
>>many, many applications that could be added to the list.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has thought about maintaining a list, where you could
>> check to see if there's any knowledge on the app you're interested in.
>> So, you could go check and find out, say, that WinZip *are* planning an
>> x64 version, with a Beta starting "Q2 2005" and ship expected around Q3.
>> This is just an example.
>>
>> I guess it would make sense to allow all parties to register some form of
>> interest per-product. The idea is, the site maintainer could say to
>> WinZip: "Look, 3000 people are interested, so there is a market for it.
>> Also, you can contact these people and invite them to join your beta if
>> required."
>>
>> Just thinking out loud...
>>
>> Jon

ChrisC