Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Anybody know of a whitepaper on the 64 bit registry?

Anybody know of a whitepaper on the 64 bit registry?

M. Murcek

I'm interested in finding out as much in-depth as I can about how the 64 bit
edition registry differs from the 32 bit version. A search of the
knowledgebase at microsoft.com turned up nothing.

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

Documented here:

Also search the MSDN and you can find some good information. If you have
specific questions, feel free to ask.

M. Murcek

Thanks!

""Joseph Conway [MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Documented here:
>
> Also search the MSDN and you can find some good information. If you have
> specific questions, feel free to ask.

Jon Grieve

I think the thing you need to do is, when searching the MSKB, use
Google. Seriously, the MSKB search facility is utter crap. You either
get 10,000 article or - more often - none.

Many, many times I've searched MSKB for something and turned up no
results. I then turn to Google and it finds the perfect MSKB article at
hit #1..?!

M. Murcek wrote:
> I'm interested in finding out as much in-depth as I can about how the 64 bit
> edition registry differs from the 32 bit version. A search of the
> knowledgebase at microsoft.com turned up nothing.

M. Murcek

How do you point Google at the MSKB? Is there an advanced search tip you
could share with us?

"Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think the thing you need to do is, when searching the MSKB, use Google.
>Seriously, the MSKB search facility is utter crap. You either get 10,000
>article or - more often - none.
>
> Many, many times I've searched MSKB for something and turned up no
> results. I then turn to Google and it finds the perfect MSKB article at
> hit #1..?!
>

> M. Murcek wrote:
>> I'm interested in finding out as much in-depth as I can about how the 64
>> bit edition registry differs from the 32 bit version. A search of the
>> knowledgebase at microsoft.com turned up nothing.

Jon Grieve

Well, personally, I use the Google Toolbar which allows you to "Search
this Site"... I go to the MSKB homepage, then type my search into the
toolbar window and hit the site search button.

If you don't use Google Toolbar, go to Google | Advanced Search and
enter support.microsoft.com in the Domain box to specify that you only
want results from that site.

Jon

M. Murcek wrote:
> How do you point Google at the MSKB? Is there an advanced search tip you
> could share with us?
>
> "Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I think the thing you need to do is, when searching the MSKB, use Google.
>>Seriously, the MSKB search facility is utter crap. You either get 10,000
>>article or - more often - none.
>>
>>Many, many times I've searched MSKB for something and turned up no
>>results. I then turn to Google and it finds the perfect MSKB article at
>>hit #1..?!
>>

>>M. Murcek wrote:
>>
>>>I'm interested in finding out as much in-depth as I can about how the 64
>>>bit edition registry differs from the 32 bit version. A search of the
>>>knowledgebase at microsoft.com turned up nothing.

James Park

Alternatively, you could enter something like "site:support.microsoft.com
keyword1 keyword2 ..."

"Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Well, personally, I use the Google Toolbar which allows you to "Search
> this Site"... I go to the MSKB homepage, then type my search into the
> toolbar window and hit the site search button.
>
> If you don't use Google Toolbar, go to Google | Advanced Search and enter
> support.microsoft.com in the Domain box to specify that you only want
> results from that site.
>
> Jon

M. Murcek

Thanks. I've long been frustrated by the MSKB's unproductive searches.
This should help.

"Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Well, personally, I use the Google Toolbar which allows you to "Search
> this Site"... I go to the MSKB homepage, then type my search into the
> toolbar window and hit the site search button.
>
> If you don't use Google Toolbar, go to Google | Advanced Search and enter
> support.microsoft.com in the Domain box to specify that you only want
> results from that site.
>
> Jon
>

> M. Murcek wrote:
>> How do you point Google at the MSKB? Is there an advanced search tip you
>> could share with us?
>>
>> "Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I think the thing you need to do is, when searching the MSKB, use Google.
>>>Seriously, the MSKB search facility is utter crap. You either get 10,000
>>>article or - more often - none.
>>>
>>>Many, many times I've searched MSKB for something and turned up no
>>>results. I then turn to Google and it finds the perfect MSKB article at
>>>hit #1..?!

Jon Grieve

Yes, that's exactly what the toolbar and advanced options do... they
both purely put a front-end on doing this. As James states, you can
achieve the same thing by adding "site:url" to any search.

James Park wrote:

> Alternatively, you could enter something like "site:support.microsoft.com
> keyword1 keyword2 ..."
>
> "Jon Grieve" <jgrieve@southdown-co-uk> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Well, personally, I use the Google Toolbar which allows you to "Search
>>this Site"... I go to the MSKB homepage, then type my search into the
>>toolbar window and hit the site search button.
>>
>>If you don't use Google Toolbar, go to Google | Advanced Search and enter
>>support.microsoft.com in the Domain box to specify that you only want
>>results from that site.
>>
>>Jon

Charlie Russel - MVP

My favourite front end to all searches is DQSD. All sorts of searches built
in, not just google, though that's the default. It doesn't yet publicly run
on x64 edition, but it is actively being worked on. Using DQSD, to search the
ms knowledge base, you'd type "msk <search>"

--
Charlie.