Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Re: .NET Applications Services

Re: .NET Applications Services

Patrick

I read here :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...eeditions.mspx
that .NET Application Services are "not supported" in the x64 versions of
w2k3 server.

Does anyone know exactly what "not supported" means in this instance"
i.e. not installed by default - not there at all - your third party software
that
uses active server pages will not function?

Patrick

was a stupid question?

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read here :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...eeditions.mspx
> that .NET Application Services are "not supported" in the x64 versions of
> w2k3 server.
>
> Does anyone know exactly what "not supported" means in this instance"
> i.e. not installed by default - not there at all - your third party

software
> that
> uses active server pages will not function?

Rick

Only the Shadow knows!

Patrick wrote:

> was a stupid question?
>

> "Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I read here :
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...eeditions.mspx
>
>>that .NET Application Services are "not supported" in the x64 versions of
>>w2k3 server.
>>
>>Does anyone know exactly what "not supported" means in this instance"
>>i.e. not installed by default - not there at all - your third party

> software
>
>>that
>>uses active server pages will not function?

Patrick

you got his e-mail address? lol

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Only the Shadow knows!
>
> Patrick wrote:
>
> > was a stupid question?
> >

> > "Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I read here :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...eeditions.mspx

> >>that .NET Application Services are "not supported" in the x64 versions

of
> >>w2k3 server.
> >>
> >>Does anyone know exactly what "not supported" means in this instance"
> >>i.e. not installed by default - not there at all - your third party

> > software
> >
> >>that
> >>uses active server pages will not function?

Kevin Lowe

if the .net framework is still 32 bit, it probably can't interface with the
64-bit version of IIS, as I'm pretty sure 64-bit processes can't make calls
to 32-bit DLLs. You'll have to wait until .net 2.0 comes out later this
year.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm an ASP.Net developer, not a server
admin.)

Patrick

Thanks Ken;

I guess my real question should be - I am running an app that
requires that .asp be installed / enabled on 2k3 x86 -
will I be able to run the same app on x64 if there is "no support"?

"Kevin Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> if the .net framework is still 32 bit, it probably can't interface with

the
> 64-bit version of IIS, as I'm pretty sure 64-bit processes can't make

calls
> to 32-bit DLLs. You'll have to wait until .net 2.0 comes out later this
> year.
>
> (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm an ASP.Net developer, not a server
> admin.)

David A. Spicer

..NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package Beta 2 IA64 (64 Bit)

..NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package Beta 2 x64 (64 Bit)

"Patrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Ken;
>
> I guess my real question should be - I am running an app that
> requires that .asp be installed / enabled on 2k3 x86 -
> will I be able to run the same app on x64 if there is "no support"?
>

> "Kevin Lowe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> if the .net framework is still 32 bit, it probably can't interface with

> the
>> 64-bit version of IIS, as I'm pretty sure 64-bit processes can't make

> calls
>> to 32-bit DLLs. You'll have to wait until .net 2.0 comes out later this
>> year.
>>
>> (Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I'm an ASP.Net developer, not a server
>> admin.)

Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\)

David A. Spicer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package Beta 2 IA64 (64
> Bit)
>
> .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package Beta 2 x64 (64 Bit)

I'm using it, but when a appli needs NET 1.1, nothing to do to get it
working with net 2. So, I have both on my pc

Cheers

--
Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
Johannesburg - South Africa

Dennis

I agree, I have a program that required .NET so I installed the BETA V2 and
it would not run, so I installed the 1.1 version and it ran fine.
Dennis
"Christian Hougardy (MS MVP XP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...