Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Got my XP Pro x64 trial CD

Got my XP Pro x64 trial CD

Randy

Finally came in the mail today. Time to play...

Has to be activated within 14days of installation.

Apparently, you will be able to install the final release over top of the
trial, or perhaps change the PID number... but if you decide against the
"upgrade", you'll need to re-install your prior OS and perhaps even need to
re-format the drive first.

Most of the product insert talks about using the built-in and online help
and support. Windows Update will be the normal route for updates.

Requires AMD Athlon64 or Opteron, or Intel Xeon or P4 with EM64T, 256M RAM,
1.5G hard disk space, super vga (800x600dpi) or better video card, CD ROM
or DVD drive, keyboard and MS Mouse or compatible pointing device.

Obviously, the system BIOS and chipset must also support x64, all 64-bit
drivers, etc. as with the server version...

Andre Da Costa

Yeah, it is possible to do an in place upgrade with full version.

Heres a question:
Why did the 64 bit Itanium Edition of Windows XP require a minimum of 1GB of
RAM?
--

Andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Finally came in the mail today. Time to play...
>
> Has to be activated within 14days of installation.
>
> Apparently, you will be able to install the final release over top of the
> trial, or perhaps change the PID number... but if you decide against the
> "upgrade", you'll need to re-install your prior OS and perhaps even need
> re-format the drive first.
>
> Most of the product insert talks about using the built-in and online help
> and support. Windows Update will be the normal route for updates.
>
> Requires AMD Athlon64 or Opteron, or Intel Xeon or P4 with EM64T, 256M
> RAM,
> 1.5G hard disk space, super vga (800x600dpi) or better video card, CD ROM
> or DVD drive, keyboard and MS Mouse or compatible pointing device.
>
> Obviously, the system BIOS and chipset must also support x64, all 64-bit
> drivers, etc. as with the server version...

Randy

No idea, I'm not up on Itanium stuff.

Server 2003 x64 requires 512M, so I'm just assuming each more complex OS
requires double the RAM... that seems to be the way prior OSes have worked.
More kernel and core components/services, more memory required.

"Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, it is possible to do an in place upgrade with full version.
>
> Heres a question:
> Why did the 64 bit Itanium Edition of Windows XP require a minimum of 1GB

of
> RAM?
> --
>
> Andre
>
> "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Finally came in the mail today. Time to play...
> >
> > Has to be activated within 14days of installation.
> >
> > Apparently, you will be able to install the final release over top of

the
> > trial, or perhaps change the PID number... but if you decide against the
> > "upgrade", you'll need to re-install your prior OS and perhaps even need
> > re-format the drive first.
> >
> > Most of the product insert talks about using the built-in and online

help
> > and support. Windows Update will be the normal route for updates.
> >
> > Requires AMD Athlon64 or Opteron, or Intel Xeon or P4 with EM64T, 256M
> > RAM,
> > 1.5G hard disk space, super vga (800x600dpi) or better video card, CD

ROM
> > or DVD drive, keyboard and MS Mouse or compatible pointing device.
> >
> > Obviously, the system BIOS and chipset must also support x64, all 64-bit
> > drivers, etc. as with the server version...

=?Utf-8?B?cnVzc193aWxs?=

whats the link so i can check my order status please ?

"Randy" wrote:

> No idea, I'm not up on Itanium stuff.
>
> Server 2003 x64 requires 512M, so I'm just assuming each more complex OS
> requires double the RAM... that seems to be the way prior OSes have worked.
> More kernel and core components/services, more memory required.
>
> "Andre Da Costa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yeah, it is possible to do an in place upgrade with full version.
> >
> > Heres a question:
> > Why did the 64 bit Itanium Edition of Windows XP require a minimum of 1GB

> of
> > RAM?
> > --
> >
> > Andre
> >
> > "Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Finally came in the mail today. Time to play...
> > >
> > > Has to be activated within 14days of installation.
> > >
> > > Apparently, you will be able to install the final release over top of

> the
> > > trial, or perhaps change the PID number... but if you decide against the
> > > "upgrade", you'll need to re-install your prior OS and perhaps even need
> > > re-format the drive first.
> > >
> > > Most of the product insert talks about using the built-in and online

> help
> > > and support. Windows Update will be the normal route for updates.
> > >
> > > Requires AMD Athlon64 or Opteron, or Intel Xeon or P4 with EM64T, 256M
> > > RAM,
> > > 1.5G hard disk space, super vga (800x600dpi) or better video card, CD

> ROM
> > > or DVD drive, keyboard and MS Mouse or compatible pointing device.
> > >
> > > Obviously, the system BIOS and chipset must also support x64, all 64-bit
> > > drivers, etc. as with the server version...

Randy

I don't know, sorry. I just waited until it arrived, which took right at
three weeks from when I ordered it, the day after it was made available
online, and just over two weeks later than it took to get the server
version... emails had said XP Pro version would be out around the end of
May, so I was surprised it came already.

I can tell you that I did check the status page a few days after ordering
and it gave me an error message, not very useful. I may have used the
exchange page instead of the timed-trial page by mistake. It didn't
recognize my order number.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...