Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual boot can't load x64 w/o CD in boot drive.

Dual boot can't load x64 w/o CD in boot drive.

John Barnes

No I haven't. Please read additional info in the reply below.
Windows x64 does the install.
The ' missing' file is installed in the right place by the install program,
but is not seen when the reboot takes place.
I know the file it there since I can boot to my 32-bit system and LOOK.
news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is, you've installed the 32-bit version of the file. The files
> in the system32 directory are 64-BIT FILES! (Yes, I know, it makes no
> sense at all. But there it is.) 32-bit files go in the SysWOW64 directory.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> John Barnes wrote:
>> I am having the same problem. I had no problem with the beta of x64.
>> I have searched for the ' missing' file from my 32-bit system and it
>> is present.
>> Also, the partition shows a 760 mb windows system(the loaded 64-bit
>> system) , but from the install disk, it shows the partition empty
>> when trying a re-install.
>>
>> Also, the first time I installed into a partition which had been
>> previously on the drive, empty and formatted, the second time I
>> installed I let windows delete and format, then install, same result.
>> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
>> corrupt:

>> I had to fix the boot.ini from recovery console, since there is
>> virtually no time from the boot screen as it flashes and instantly
>> went to this error. When fixed I can boot to my 32-bit system
>>
>> My system is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
>> 2 gig Corsair RAM
>> AMD 3500+
>> 4 SATA drives
>> No raid installed
>>
>> adDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "aimbie" <aimbie[no spam ]@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Just curious....did you do what the above error tells you to do?
>>>
>>> Bobby

Dennis Pack

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I appreciate your replies, but sometimes they aren't related to the
>problem.
> In this case you aren't pertinent to the problem.

I don't have an answer to the drive or installation concern. For the 56k
dial-up modem concern the USRobotics5610B modem driver installs with the
operating system. The modem works and I use it to FAX documents but my AT&T
dial-up program doesn't recognize the x64 operating system yet.

I hope this will help.

John Barnes

Thanks. I will go order one.

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I appreciate your replies, but sometimes they aren't related to the
>>problem.
>> In this case you aren't pertinent to the problem.
>>

> I don't have an answer to the drive or installation concern. For the 56k
> dial-up modem concern the USRobotics5610B modem driver installs with the
> operating system. The modem works and I use it to FAX documents but my
> AT&T dial-up program doesn't recognize the x64 operating system yet.
>
> I hope this will help.

Randy

Per your dial-up problem, have you tried a simple SMC or DLink router with a
serial (and parallel) server(s) built-in? Any system on your LAN that makes
a TCP call automatically starts an attached serial modem dialing out, or you
can log in via web browser interface and manually dial out or hang up (or
let it hang up or time out). Doesn't require any modem driver, at least with
Win98SE, XPHome, or 2000Pro (Or WinCE 2 or 3 or Mac OS 7, 8, or 9).

They used to sell for about $40 new... maybe a few years ago when they were
more popular. BestData makes a router with the modem built-in, but it needs
reset fairly often and I wouldn't recommend it unless you have patience &
high tolerance levels. ;~)

If you "don't do" networking, just set each system's NIC up with TCP/IP and
DHCP, and the routers manage the rest.

Oh, and pigs do fly, in Cincinnati. Right on the river.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The operating system is useless to me since no one (would be useful if
> Microsoft would) has provided the name of a dial-up modem with 64-bit
> support. Your sarcasm about HS is useless. Per the only DSL supplier in

my
> area, my section will get DSL ' when pigs fly'

John Barnes

If NewEgg is up to their usual standards, I will at least have a mostly
useful operating system. My Cannon printer won't work, with no estimate
from them, but at least an old Lexmark works, with a small annoying quirky
problem. Also anyone know of any reasonable scanners that are 64-bit ready.
Then that leaves software. arrrrgggg
Start with Nero, Virtual Drive of some sort, etc, etc

"Dennis Pack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I appreciate your replies, but sometimes they aren't related to the
>>problem.
>> In this case you aren't pertinent to the problem.
>>

> I don't have an answer to the drive or installation concern. For the 56k
> dial-up modem concern the USRobotics5610B modem driver installs with the
> operating system. The modem works and I use it to FAX documents but my
> AT&T dial-up program doesn't recognize the x64 operating system yet.
>
> I hope this will help.

David R. Norton MVP

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> If NewEgg is up to their usual standards, I will at least have a
> mostly useful operating system. My Cannon printer won't work,
> with no estimate from them, but at least an old Lexmark works,
> with a small annoying quirky problem. Also anyone know of any
> reasonable scanners that are 64-bit ready. Then that leaves
> software. arrrrgggg Start with Nero, Virtual Drive of some sort,
> etc, etc

My Microtek V6UPL is NOT 64 bit ready but by installing their
ScanWizard program, version 5.991 and then manually "decorating" the
..inf file as per the article here:
The scanner installed and works.

My guess is that any Microtek scanner that uses a USB connection and
ScanWizard 5.991 to install might work if the INF file is decorated?

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
What is in the boot.ini file?

Also boot to the x64 cd and go into Recovery Console.
Run "map arc"
Report back what is displayed.
This is reporting the arc paths for the drives in the system.
I want to see if booting to the x64 cd is reporting back the drives any
differently than what is in the boot.ini file.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: "aimbie" <aimbie[no spam ]@comcast.net>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Dual boot can't load x64 w/o CD in boot drive.
>Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:49:46 -0700
sv3-YB66qQ2UPJd/UlCsyBozoHf+pbTb2k5JbSeCNdGl7tNPfM5K+gVqgttQFJaXQt i5CGK73eGp
N3VSi3W!qlDxWE8YdYWOkCNjRT6V4B2uYv5uvXNaivCTplS9rl 1BKaHu7w/6VnJjsz47

complaint properly
TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfee d00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli
ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.d ca.giganews.com!nntp.gigan
ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.comcast .com!news.comcast.com.POST
ED!not-for-mail

>I am sure you can, but that's not the problem! The files are not corrupt
>that's just the error message you get when x64 can't find the hard drive.
>Many others with this motherboard and more than 1 SATA harddrive have the
>same issue.
>
>It didn't happen with the betas just the release version. I have installed
>x64 about 5 times now and it happens every time. I don't think its

possible
>for the file to be missing (which it isn't because you can see it sitting
>there when you boot into WinXP 32) or corrupt (because if you boot with

the
>CD in the CD rom drive as the first boot option it works fine and its not
>getting the file from the CD).
>
>Maybe you should reply when you have something to add.
>
><<<<<>>>>>>>>>
>
>"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should be able to copy that file over from the CD - it resides in

the
>> \amd64 directory as "ntoskrnl.ex_" -- use expand.exe to expand it and

move
>> it into your system32 directory.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>>
>> aimbie wrote:
>>> No, I have not tried to replace the file it says. Then again it boots
>>> just fine as long as I have the CD in the DVD drive. Secondly, I see
>>> the screen to select XP 32 or x64 fine.
>>>
>>> I have done some searching on Plantamd64.com and it appears this is
>>> happening to others with the same motherboard and setup. Sounds like
>>> it is a bios issue or some problem with the Nvidia SATA controller.

aimbie

Boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP
Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windo ws XP Professional x64
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

result of running "map arc" from the recovery console:
D:NTFS 70896MB multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1) [this is the
partition with x64]
E:NTFS 239366MB multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)
C:NTFS 70896MB multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) [this is
the partition with Win32]
A: \Device\Floppy0
G: \Device\CdRom0
H: \Device\CdRom0

I suspected that this would be ok because when you use the CD drive to boot
x64 loads fine. Is there anyway to get this information when you boot from
the removable drive or the harddrive as that is when it doesn't work?

<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>
""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JtZy%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> What is in the boot.ini file?
>
> Also boot to the x64 cd and go into Recovery Console.
> Run "map arc"
> Report back what is displayed.
> This is reporting the arc paths for the drives in the system.
> I want to see if booting to the x64 cd is reporting back the drives any
> differently than what is in the boot.ini file.
>
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
>>From: "aimbie" <aimbie[no spam ]@comcast.net>
>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>Subject: Re: Dual boot can't load x64 w/o CD in boot drive.
>>Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:49:46 -0700
> sv3-YB66qQ2UPJd/UlCsyBozoHf+pbTb2k5JbSeCNdGl7tNPfM5K+gVqgttQFJaXQt i5CGK73eGp
> N3VSi3W!qlDxWE8YdYWOkCNjRT6V4B2uYv5uvXNaivCTplS9rl 1BKaHu7w/6VnJjsz47

> complaint properly
> TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfee d00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli
> ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.d ca.giganews.com!nntp.gigan
> ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.comcast .com!news.comcast.com.POST
> ED!not-for-mail
>>
>>I am sure you can, but that's not the problem! The files are not corrupt
>>that's just the error message you get when x64 can't find the hard drive.
>>Many others with this motherboard and more than 1 SATA harddrive have the
>>same issue.
>>
>>It didn't happen with the betas just the release version. I have installed
>>x64 about 5 times now and it happens every time. I don't think its

> possible
>>for the file to be missing (which it isn't because you can see it sitting
>>there when you boot into WinXP 32) or corrupt (because if you boot with

> the
>>CD in the CD rom drive as the first boot option it works fine and its not
>>getting the file from the CD).
>>
>>Maybe you should reply when you have something to add.
>>
>><<<<<>>>>>>>>>
>>
>>"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You should be able to copy that file over from the CD - it resides in

> the
>>> \amd64 directory as "ntoskrnl.ex_" -- use expand.exe to expand it and

> move
>>> it into your system32 directory.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This is strange.
Both Arc paths are the same so you are correct, that is not the issue. It
couldn't be that easy could it.
So the only different is the boot code itself.
When you boot from the CD, the boot code on the cd is read and if a key is
not pressed, the boot it passed to the hard drive that is next in the boot
order to load NTLDR..
If yoy boot hard drive, you use the boot code and pass to NTLDR.
So the only difference then is the boot code in the MBR and Boot Sector.
We either load them from the CD in which case we work, or we load them from
the hard drive is which case we fail.
So the uniqueness is in what we are loading from the hard drive on these
systems that prevents boot.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
>From: "aimbie" <aimbie[no spam ]@comcast.net>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<JtZy#(E-Mail Removed)>
>Subject: Re: Dual boot can't load x64 w/o CD in boot drive.
>Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 20:12:21 -0700

complaint properly
TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfee d00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli
ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.d ca.giganews.com!nntp.gigan
ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.comcast .com!news.comcast.com.POST
ED!not-for-mail

>Boot.ini:
>
>[boot loader]
>timeout=10
>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDO WS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micr osoft Windows XP
>Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Wind ows XP Professional x64
>Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
>
>result of running "map arc" from the recovery console:
>D:NTFS 70896MB multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1) [this is

the
>partition with x64]
>E:NTFS 239366MB multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)
>C:NTFS 70896MB multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) [this is
>the partition with Win32]
>A: \Device\Floppy0
>G: \Device\CdRom0
>H: \Device\CdRom0
>
>I suspected that this would be ok because when you use the CD drive to

boot
>x64 loads fine. Is there anyway to get this information when you boot from
>the removable drive or the harddrive as that is when it doesn't work?
>
><<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>
>""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:JtZy%(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hello,
>> What is in the boot.ini file?
>>
>> Also boot to the x64 cd and go into Recovery Console.
>> Run "map arc"
>> Report back what is displayed.
>> This is reporting the arc paths for the drives in the system.
>> I want to see if booting to the x64 cd is reporting back the drives any
>> differently than what is in the boot.ini file.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

rights
>> --------------------
>>>From: "aimbie" <aimbie[no spam ]@comcast.net>
>>>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general

>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>Subject: Re: Dual boot can't load x64 w/o CD in boot drive.
>>>Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:49:46 -0700

sv3-YB66qQ2UPJd/UlCsyBozoHf+pbTb2k5JbSeCNdGl7tNPfM5K+gVqgttQFJaXQt i5CGK73eGp
>> N3VSi3W!qlDxWE8YdYWOkCNjRT6V4B2uYv5uvXNaivCTplS9rl 1BKaHu7w/6VnJjsz47

>> complaint properly

TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfee d00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli

ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border1.nntp.d ca.giganews.com!nntp.gigan

ews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.comcast .com!news.comcast.com.POST
>> ED!not-for-mail
>>>
>>>I am sure you can, but that's not the problem! The files are not corrupt
>>>that's just the error message you get when x64 can't find the hard drive.
>>>Many others with this motherboard and more than 1 SATA harddrive have the
>>>same issue.
>>>
>>>It didn't happen with the betas just the release version. I have

installed
>>>x64 about 5 times now and it happens every time. I don't think its

>> possible
>>>for the file to be missing (which it isn't because you can see it sitting
>>>there when you boot into WinXP 32) or corrupt (because if you boot with

>> the
>>>CD in the CD rom drive as the first boot option it works fine and its not
>>>getting the file from the CD).
>>>
>>>Maybe you should reply when you have something to add.

>>>"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> the

>> move

=?Utf-8?B?TGFudXJk?=

Wow, fixed this issue on my PC by setting the BIOS to boot from the Win XP
Pro 32bit drive rather than the 64bit drive. Seems Windows installed a dual
boot .ini file on the 32bit drive and nothing on the 64bit drive. I can
select either at bootup and both work now with no CD mounted.