Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP64 Upgrade for Loyal Early Adopters

XP64 Upgrade for Loyal Early Adopters

=?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were early
adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003 date set for the
current upgrade?
--
Jim

Charlie Russel - MVP

No announcements such as that have been made, so I'd have to say that it's
unlikely.

--
Charlie.

hughesjv wrote:
> Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were
> early adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003 date
> set for the current upgrade?

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were early
> adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003 date set for
> the
> current upgrade?

It rather depends what you mean.
If you went out and bought an x64 system then it would have been supplied
with probably a 32-bit OS - in which case contact the OEM for their swap out
policy.
If you built it yourself then if you also purchased a 32-bit Windows XP
Professional for this machine then you can swap that out yourself at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...e/default.mspx

If the above does not apply to you and all you did was download or get the
CD of the Preview Program release then you will have to buy an OEM copy fo
x64 Windows XP from one of the online retailers. (or purchase a 32-bit
Windows XP and swap it out as above)

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were early
> adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003 date set for
> the
> current upgrade?
> --
> Jim

ocbwilg

"hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were early
> adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003 date set for
> the
> current upgrade?

The Opteron CPU was launched in April 2003. The Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 FX
chips weren't launched until September 2003. Intel CPUs with EM64T were not
available until late 2004/early 2005. Are you saying that you actually
bought an x64-based system before March 31, 2003? Because I find that
highly unlikely.

As I understand it, the TAP was designed to accommodate users who purchased
an x64-based PC but bought it with a 32-bit Windows XP Pro license because
x64 Windows XP Pro was not yet available. It wasn't designed to give
everyone who bought Windows XP Pro a free upgrade to XP x64.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Exactly. The only folks who might get caught by this are those who took an
existing XP machine and replaced the motherboard with an x64 motherboard, and
re-used the existing XP on that rebuilt machine. (A legal use of a RETAIL
copy of XP, assuming you completely retire the old mobo, but NOT of an OEM
XP.) They might well have a copy of XP that predates March 31, 2003,
installed on an x64 enabled machine.

--
Charlie.

ocbwilg wrote:
> "hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were
>> early adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003
>> date set for the
>> current upgrade?

> The Opteron CPU was launched in April 2003. The Athlon 64 and Athlon
> 64 FX chips weren't launched until September 2003. Intel CPUs with
> EM64T were not available until late 2004/early 2005. Are you saying
> that you actually bought an x64-based system before March 31, 2003? Because
> I find that highly unlikely.
>
> As I understand it, the TAP was designed to accommodate users who
> purchased an x64-based PC but bought it with a 32-bit Windows XP Pro
> license because x64 Windows XP Pro was not yet available. It wasn't
> designed to give everyone who bought Windows XP Pro a free upgrade to
> XP x64.

=?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

You are the closest...I originally built my machine and have upgraded to a 64
bit board with the legal OEM software I purchased. I typically build 40-100
machines a year and verified with Microsoft people that as long as I keep the
same case, I can perform upgrades to whatever I need and still be within the
license agreement.
--
Jim

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Exactly. The only folks who might get caught by this are those who took an
> existing XP machine and replaced the motherboard with an x64 motherboard, and
> re-used the existing XP on that rebuilt machine. (A legal use of a RETAIL
> copy of XP, assuming you completely retire the old mobo, but NOT of an OEM
> XP.) They might well have a copy of XP that predates March 31, 2003,
> installed on an x64 enabled machine.
>
> --
> Charlie.
>
> ocbwilg wrote:
> > "hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Does anyone know if there will be a program for those of us who were
> >> early adopters and ran out embraced XP before the March 31, 2003
> >> date set for the
> >> current upgrade?

> > The Opteron CPU was launched in April 2003. The Athlon 64 and Athlon
> > 64 FX chips weren't launched until September 2003. Intel CPUs with
> > EM64T were not available until late 2004/early 2005. Are you saying
> > that you actually bought an x64-based system before March 31, 2003? Because
> > I find that highly unlikely.
> >
> > As I understand it, the TAP was designed to accommodate users who
> > purchased an x64-based PC but bought it with a 32-bit Windows XP Pro
> > license because x64 Windows XP Pro was not yet available. It wasn't
> > designed to give everyone who bought Windows XP Pro a free upgrade to
> > XP x64.

Joe Swart [MSFT]

Jim,
I posed your question to a number of people.
Per our Marketing Folks:
"That's when the first x64 machines began shipping. These programs are
generally designed to be what we call a technology guarantee, meaning that
the purchaser can buy a PC with confidence knowing that they will not be
left behind when we ship a new version of Windows. The cutoff is usually
only a few months, but with this program we extended back to when the first
Opteron shipped and the first time a customer could have feasibly built an
x64 machine.

The software date doesn't matter. we care about machine build date."

Hope this answers it.
--
-Joe Swart [MSFT]

Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these
newsgroups.

"hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You are the closest...I originally built my machine and have upgraded to a

64
> bit board with the legal OEM software I purchased. I typically build

40-100
> machines a year and verified with Microsoft people that as long as I keep

the
> same case, I can perform upgrades to whatever I need and still be within

the
> license agreement.
> --
> Jim
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
> > Exactly. The only folks who might get caught by this are those who took

an
> > existing XP machine and replaced the motherboard with an x64

motherboard, and
> > re-used the existing XP on that rebuilt machine. (A legal use of a

RETAIL
> > copy of XP, assuming you completely retire the old mobo, but NOT of an

OEM
> > XP.) They might well have a copy of XP that predates March 31, 2003,
> > installed on an x64 enabled machine.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> >
> > ocbwilg wrote:
> > > "hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > > The Opteron CPU was launched in April 2003. The Athlon 64 and Athlon
> > > 64 FX chips weren't launched until September 2003. Intel CPUs with
> > > EM64T were not available until late 2004/early 2005. Are you saying
> > > that you actually bought an x64-based system before March 31, 2003?

Because
> > > I find that highly unlikely.
> > >
> > > As I understand it, the TAP was designed to accommodate users who
> > > purchased an x64-based PC but bought it with a 32-bit Windows XP Pro
> > > license because x64 Windows XP Pro was not yet available. It wasn't
> > > designed to give everyone who bought Windows XP Pro a free upgrade to
> > > XP x64.

=?Utf-8?B?aHVnaGVzanY=?=

I am not necessarily looking for a "Free" Upgrade but some upgrade path to
the 64 Bit XP without having to re-buy the complete package for a second
time. I realize that I have owned my XP much longer than those that bought
or built thier machines when 64 Bit processors arrived on the scene but what
I did is legal and it seems there ought to be an upgrade path for the rest of
who upgrade their CPU/MB on a regular basis.
--
Jim

"Joe Swart [MSFT]" wrote:

> Jim,
> I posed your question to a number of people.
> Per our Marketing Folks:
> "That's when the first x64 machines began shipping. These programs are
> generally designed to be what we call a technology guarantee, meaning that
> the purchaser can buy a PC with confidence knowing that they will not be
> left behind when we ship a new version of Windows. The cutoff is usually
> only a few months, but with this program we extended back to when the first
> Opteron shipped and the first time a customer could have feasibly built an
> x64 machine.
>
> The software date doesn't matter. we care about machine build date."
>
> Hope this answers it.
> --
> -Joe Swart [MSFT]

> Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please use these
> newsgroups.
>

> "hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > You are the closest...I originally built my machine and have upgraded to a

> 64
> > bit board with the legal OEM software I purchased. I typically build

> 40-100
> > machines a year and verified with Microsoft people that as long as I keep

> the
> > same case, I can perform upgrades to whatever I need and still be within

> the
> > license agreement.
> > --
> > Jim
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Exactly. The only folks who might get caught by this are those who took

> an
> > > existing XP machine and replaced the motherboard with an x64

> motherboard, and
> > > re-used the existing XP on that rebuilt machine. (A legal use of a

> RETAIL
> > > copy of XP, assuming you completely retire the old mobo, but NOT of an

> OEM
> > > XP.) They might well have a copy of XP that predates March 31, 2003,
> > > installed on an x64 enabled machine.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Charlie.

> Because

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, if I read Joe's answer correctly, you should be covered. You built that
machine post March 31, 2003. On the other hand, the statement that the
machine is the case, wrt the original OEM license, sounds completely contrary
to the way the retail version is licensed, where it basically goes with the
mobo. But however you look at it, I would at least trying the submission.

--
Charlie.

hughesjv wrote:
> I am not necessarily looking for a "Free" Upgrade but some upgrade
> path to the 64 Bit XP without having to re-buy the complete package
> for a second time. I realize that I have owned my XP much longer
> than those that bought or built thier machines when 64 Bit processors
> arrived on the scene but what I did is legal and it seems there ought
> to be an upgrade path for the rest of who upgrade their CPU/MB on a
> regular basis.
>
>> Jim,
>> I posed your question to a number of people.
>> Per our Marketing Folks:
>> "That's when the first x64 machines began shipping. These programs
>> are generally designed to be what we call a technology guarantee,
>> meaning that the purchaser can buy a PC with confidence knowing that
>> they will not be left behind when we ship a new version of Windows.
>> The cutoff is usually only a few months, but with this program we
>> extended back to when the first Opteron shipped and the first time a
>> customer could have feasibly built an x64 machine.
>>
>> The software date doesn't matter. we care about machine build date."
>>
>> Hope this answers it.
>> --
>> -Joe Swart [MSFT]

>> rights. Please note I cannot respond to e-mailed questions. Please
>> use these newsgroups.
>>

>> "hughesjv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You are the closest...I originally built my machine and have
>>> upgraded to a 64 bit board with the legal OEM software I purchased.
>>> I typically build 40-100 machines a year and verified with
>>> Microsoft people that as long as I keep the same case, I can
>>> perform upgrades to whatever I need and still be within the license
>>> agreement. --
>>> Jim

magnium

i agree completely. Lets face it within 2 hours you could download a full
working pirated version. Upgrades for all ligitamate copys should be
offered.
news:uJ12dU%(E-Mail Removed)...