Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > RE: Windows 64-bit, DVD-burners.

RE: Windows 64-bit, DVD-burners.

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlYmFkcmFzaA==?=

FYI, this was a hardware issue. Surprise, surprise. That'll teach me to shop
in the 'bargain' section of FNAC!

"thebadrash" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a BENQ DW1620 DVD rewriter and I can't seem to get it to work under
> XP64. Now, I can't be sure whether this is a driver issue or a hardware
> issue. Apart from reinstalling XP-Pro, I can't really see what I can do to
> test the OS.
>
> My question: Is there a chance that despite being detected by XP-64, the DVD
> drive won't open because it's not supported? Or does this look far more
> likely to be a hardware issue?
>
> Thanks!!

Bob Kilgore

"thebadrash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> FYI, this was a hardware issue. Surprise, surprise. That'll teach me to
> shop
> in the 'bargain' section of FNAC!
>
> "thebadrash" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a BENQ DW1620 DVD rewriter and I can't seem to get it to work
>> under
>> XP64. Now, I can't be sure whether this is a driver issue or a hardware
>> issue. Apart from reinstalling XP-Pro, I can't really see what I can do
>> test the OS.
>>
>> My question: Is there a chance that despite being detected by XP-64, the
>> DVD
>> drive won't open because it's not supported? Or does this look far more
>> likely to be a hardware issue?
>>
>> Thanks!!

This is a bit strange, I bought a BenQ DW-1610 drive and got a note that the
firmware needed to be upgraded to correct a problem with windows recognizing
the drive. I put in the new firmware and behold I now have a DW-1620 drive
and all the 1620 functions perform well. I haven't tested the dual layer
DVD due to the expense of the media. I have run this device under both
XP-32 and XP-64 with Nero 6 and the only minor problem is that it will
sometimes write at its max speed rather than the media max speed. I now set
the write speed manually and all is well.

I suggest the you go to the BenQ web site and get the latest revision of the
firmware for the device and see if that cures your problem.

Good Luck;

Bob

=?Utf-8?B?dGhlYmFkcmFzaA==?=

Thanks Bob. I did apply the firmware but this was more os a mechanical issue.
The drive was recognised but physically wouldn't work. I'd never seen this
happen before, so I didn't know if it could have been OS related. I put the
drive in another machine (this time 32bit) and it still doesn't work at all.
So I'll be getting a new one. Probably from a different, more reliable,
manufacturer this time.

Tom