Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > MSDN question. (not sure if in the right place)

MSDN question. (not sure if in the right place)

Neal

I have been reading about how MSDN is the place to be for downloads. Now
that I have a 64bit system, my own built PC, and broadband I feel that I can
take advantage of it. But I am very confused about it. Is this something
for the average computer nut who just wants to play with the newest stuff
out there or it is more for the cooperate world? I guess what plan is best
for me if it is for the average user.

Thanks

David R. Norton MVP

"Neal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:

> I have been reading about how MSDN is the place to be for
> downloads. Now that I have a 64bit system, my own built PC, and
> broadband I feel that I can take advantage of it. But I am very
> confused about it. Is this something for the average computer nut
> who just wants to play with the newest stuff out there or it is
> more for the cooperate world? I guess what plan is best for me if
> it is for the average user.

It's expensive and not really designed for the home user.

Start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/

Scroll down and click on the link under About MSDN "Learn more about
MSDN"

Take a look there, then click on "How to buy" and look at the prices.

You're the only one who can decide if it's worth it or not but... very
few home users would get enough benefit to justify the cost.

--
David R. Norton MVP
<(E-Mail Removed)>

Neal

Thanks,

When I looked that I what I thought but I figured it could not hurt to ask
at least.

"David R. Norton MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Neal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in:
>
>> I have been reading about how MSDN is the place to be for
>> downloads. Now that I have a 64bit system, my own built PC, and
>> broadband I feel that I can take advantage of it. But I am very
>> confused about it. Is this something for the average computer nut
>> who just wants to play with the newest stuff out there or it is
>> more for the cooperate world? I guess what plan is best for me if
>> it is for the average user.

> It's expensive and not really designed for the home user.
>
> Start here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/
>
> Scroll down and click on the link under About MSDN "Learn more about
> MSDN"
>
> Take a look there, then click on "How to buy" and look at the prices.
>
> You're the only one who can decide if it's worth it or not but... very
> few home users would get enough benefit to justify the cost.
>

> --
> David R. Norton MVP
> <(E-Mail Removed)>

Chris

Not only is it very expensive, you are not allowed to use any operating
system you download from your MSDN subscription as your own personal
operating system. You can only use it for testing purposes. This applies
with most software available through MSDN. I see no value in it myself.
"Neal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been reading about how MSDN is the place to be for downloads. Now
>that I have a 64bit system, my own built PC, and broadband I feel that I
>can take advantage of it. But I am very confused about it. Is this
>something for the average computer nut who just wants to play with the
>newest stuff out there or it is more for the cooperate world? I guess what
>plan is best for me if it is for the average user.
>
> Thanks

Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]

.... and if you do plan on jumping on the MSDN bandwagon despite what was
said here, do so soon as the price is doubling soon.

Rafael Rivera
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

Neal wrote:
> I have been reading about how MSDN is the place to be for downloads. Now
> that I have a 64bit system, my own built PC, and broadband I feel that I can
> take advantage of it. But I am very confused about it. Is this something
> for the average computer nut who just wants to play with the newest stuff
> out there or it is more for the cooperate world? I guess what plan is best
> for me if it is for the average user.
>
> Thanks

ocbwilg

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not only is it very expensive, you are not allowed to use any operating
> system you download from your MSDN subscription as your own personal
> operating system. You can only use it for testing purposes. This applies
> with most software available through MSDN. I see no value in it myself.

It's not that expensive, I wish people would stop saying that. Prices range
from $199 to $2799, depending on which edition you need. And it's not like
you're throwing money down the drain either. If you need to do testing and
development it is far, far, cheaper than licensing multiple operating
systems/servers/etc the usual way.

Chris

$199 is only for the MSDN library which is free on the internet. It gets
you nothing else. If you need operating systems, it will cost you $699 and
again, you can not use it as your own personal operating system (which does
this guy no good).
news:(E-Mail Removed)...