Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows SP Pro SP2 will not install

Windows SP Pro SP2 will not install

Fu Schnickens

I've been trying to do a clean install of WinXP Pro but it will not
install. The error message I get during the install is "The file
placed on the hard drive is not a valid Windows XP system image". I
keep on getting the same error message but its always a random file
that chooses not to copy over. I've tried at least 3 different XP Pro
install cd's but all do the exact same thing. What does this error
message mean when its an official XP cd that I'm trying to install
from? Anyone know whats going on here? I've tried on 2 different hard
drives with the same results. I'm at a loss......

WhzzKdd

"Fu Schnickens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been trying to do a clean install of WinXP Pro but it will not
> install. The error message I get during the install is "The file
> placed on the hard drive is not a valid Windows XP system image". I
> keep on getting the same error message but its always a random file
> that chooses not to copy over. I've tried at least 3 different XP Pro
> install cd's but all do the exact same thing. What does this error
> message mean when its an official XP cd that I'm trying to install
> from? Anyone know whats going on here? I've tried on 2 different hard
> drives with the same results. I'm at a loss......

What hardware? My guess is you need to replace your RAM.

Walter Mautner

Fu Schnickens wrote:

> I've been trying to do a clean install of WinXP Pro but it will not
> install. The error message I get during the install is "The file
> placed on the hard drive is not a valid Windows XP system image". I

Bad ram or some voltage out of specs causing cpu or memory malfunctions.

> keep on getting the same error message but its always a random file
> that chooses not to copy over. I've tried at least 3 different XP Pro
> install cd's but all do the exact same thing. What does this error
> message mean when its an official XP cd that I'm trying to install
> from? Anyone know whats going on here? I've tried on 2 different hard
> drives with the same results. I'm at a loss......

It is a hardware issue. Even if the board passes POST and the voltages in
section "hardware monitor" look ok, there may be excessive ripple.
You may try to unplug all non-vital hardware like 2nd harddrive, cd/dvd
burner, high-end graphic card (use onboard) for a test install. If that
works, you need another powersupply ... or the converters on your mainboard
are suspect.