Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Maximum Hard Drive Size

Reply
Thread Tools

Maximum Hard Drive Size

 
 
Alasdair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2007
I have a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-6WMM7 Rev 4.1.
The existing HDD is 15Gb but I want to install a bigger one, for
example 200Gb.

Will the motherboard take it and if not, what is the largest it will
take?



--
Alasdair.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
-Art- (not Art)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2007
On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 00:24:06 +0100, Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-6WMM7 Rev 4.1.
>The existing HDD is 15Gb but I want to install a bigger one, for
>example 200Gb.
>
>Will the motherboard take it and if not, what is the largest it will
>take?

yes, after you install the new hard drive, reboot the computer and
access the bios to make sure it was found.

-Art- (not Art)

-Art- (not Art)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2007
"Alasdair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-6WMM7 Rev 4.1.
> The existing HDD is 15Gb but I want to install a bigger one, for
> example 200Gb.
>
> Will the motherboard take it and if not, what is the largest it will
> take?
>

Get whatever you want. Then set it up. If the board doesn't support drives
larger than32GB, follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. On
larger drives, there's usually a 32GB size limit jumper configuration. And
there's drive overlay software. Finally, there's a PCI card addon that
handles ATA drives and doesn't care about the BIOS limits.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132005 (there are
others too)

Or you can get a SATA drive and controller

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2547&name=SATA

or even one that does BOTH

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SATA%20/%20IDE


 
Reply With Quote
 
doS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2007
yeah, i bet he wants to spend 400.00 plus on a computer thats worth 200....

"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
news:5LDNh.73$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Alasdair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-6WMM7 Rev 4.1.
>> The existing HDD is 15Gb but I want to install a bigger one, for
>> example 200Gb.
>>
>> Will the motherboard take it and if not, what is the largest it will
>> take?
>>

> Get whatever you want. Then set it up. If the board doesn't support drives
> larger than32GB, follow the manufacturer's installation instructions. On
> larger drives, there's usually a 32GB size limit jumper configuration. And
> there's drive overlay software. Finally, there's a PCI card addon that
> handles ATA drives and doesn't care about the BIOS limits.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132005 (there are
> others too)
>
> Or you can get a SATA drive and controller
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2547&name=SATA
>
> or even one that does BOTH
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SATA%20/%20IDE
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
WhzzKdd
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2007
Heck, I do it all the time! I have three systems here in the house right now
that cost me more to repair than I can sell them for <g>

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yDENh.194$(E-Mail Removed)...
> yeah, i bet he wants to spend 400.00 plus on a computer thats worth
> 200....
>
> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
> news:5LDNh.73$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Alasdair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-6WMM7 Rev 4.1.
>>> The existing HDD is 15Gb but I want to install a bigger one, for
>>> example 200Gb.
>>>
>>> Will the motherboard take it and if not, what is the largest it will
>>> take?
>>>

>> Get whatever you want. Then set it up. If the board doesn't support
>> drives larger than32GB, follow the manufacturer's installation
>> instructions. On larger drives, there's usually a 32GB size limit jumper
>> configuration. And there's drive overlay software. Finally, there's a PCI
>> card addon that handles ATA drives and doesn't care about the BIOS
>> limits.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132005 (there
>> are others too)
>>
>> Or you can get a SATA drive and controller
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2547&name=SATA
>>
>> or even one that does BOTH
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SATA%20/%20IDE
>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
doS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2007
so do I<bg>

"WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
news:TFENh.258$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Heck, I do it all the time! I have three systems here in the house right
> now that cost me more to repair than I can sell them for <g>
>
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:yDENh.194$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> yeah, i bet he wants to spend 400.00 plus on a computer thats worth
>> 200....
>>
>> "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
>> news:5LDNh.73$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Alasdair" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>I have a computer with a Gigabyte motherboard model GA-6WMM7 Rev 4.1.
>>>> The existing HDD is 15Gb but I want to install a bigger one, for
>>>> example 200Gb.
>>>>
>>>> Will the motherboard take it and if not, what is the largest it will
>>>> take?
>>>>
>>> Get whatever you want. Then set it up. If the board doesn't support
>>> drives larger than32GB, follow the manufacturer's installation
>>> instructions. On larger drives, there's usually a 32GB size limit jumper
>>> configuration. And there's drive overlay software. Finally, there's a
>>> PCI card addon that handles ATA drives and doesn't care about the BIOS
>>> limits.
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816132005 (there
>>> are others too)
>>>
>>> Or you can get a SATA drive and controller
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2547&name=SATA
>>>
>>> or even one that does BOTH
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...SATA%20/%20IDE
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Walter Mautner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2007
Alasdair wrote:

> GA-6WMM7


That's from 1999, for a celeron and only 2 sdram slots, with a i810 chipset.
Harddrive size limits for bootable drives could be 74 or 137 GB (or 80/160
in HD manuf. speech).

--
vista policy violation: Microsoft optical mouse found penguin patterns
on mousepad. Partition scan in progress to remove offending
incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux 2.6.17-mm1,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maximum size for hard drive on HP Pavilion dv1000 Pavilion Computer Information 1 08-20-2007 09:00 PM
Maximum size for hard drive on HP Pavilion dv1000 luciano.kay Computer Information 0 08-20-2007 04:29 PM
Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se Anthropy Computer Support 4 02-24-2004 08:54 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM
hard drive maximum size Puzzled Computer Support 11 02-08-2004 04:35 PM



Advertisments