Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > win2003 headless server install guide

win2003 headless server install guide

Rowdy Yates

okay, i may get flamed for this, but i swear i searched the ms site, and i
can't find a step by step guide to setting up headless server.

anyone got the link handy?

basically what i need to know is, do i do a regular install first and then
tweak it to boot headless or do i have to stick to headless install
procedure right from the get go.

--
The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.

Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> okay, i may get flamed for this, but i swear i searched the ms site, and

> can't find a step by step guide to setting up headless server.
>
> anyone got the link handy?
>
> basically what i need to know is, do i do a regular install first and

then
> tweak it to boot headless or do i have to stick to headless install
> procedure right from the get go.

p.s. i have given up trying to get headless working with linux.

the boss people gave me cash for OS and said if i don't get it working by
end of week they will kick my ass!

--
The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.
==============
I am Against-TCPA
http://www.againsttcpa.com
==============

chop@nospam.com

By definition, it is headless first. More info is
available from
http://www.headless.org

hth,
chop

Sparky

Here is an MS link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...hnet/prodtechn
ol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/deployguide/sdccg_ems_overview.asp

"Rowdy Yates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns949987DF3C3BBrowdyyates2123@207.46.248.16. ..
> okay, i may get flamed for this, but i swear i searched the ms site, and i
> can't find a step by step guide to setting up headless server.
>
> anyone got the link handy?
>
> basically what i need to know is, do i do a regular install first and then
> tweak it to boot headless or do i have to stick to headless install
> procedure right from the get go.
>

> --
> The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
> Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.
> ==============
> I am Against-TCPA
> http://www.againsttcpa.com
> ==============

Sparky

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...hnet/prodtechn
ol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/deployguide/sdccg_ems_overview.asp

Lets see if the whole link sticks now....

"Rowdy Yates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns949987DF3C3BBrowdyyates2123@207.46.248.16. ..
> okay, i may get flamed for this, but i swear i searched the ms site, and i
> can't find a step by step guide to setting up headless server.
>
> anyone got the link handy?
>
> basically what i need to know is, do i do a regular install first and then
> tweak it to boot headless or do i have to stick to headless install
> procedure right from the get go.
>

> --
> The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
> Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.
> ==============
> I am Against-TCPA
> http://www.againsttcpa.com
> ==============

JaR

Sparky opined, On 2/24/04 11:08 AM:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...hnet/prodtechn
> ol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/deployguide/sdccg_ems_overview.asp
>

> Lets see if the whole link sticks now....

Try this

http://tinyurl.com/

JaR

Sparky

Here is the abbreviated version

Thanks....

http://tinyurl.com/pi1

"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...hnet/prodtechn
> ol/windowsserver2003/proddocs/deployguide/sdccg_ems_overview.asp
>

> Lets see if the whole link sticks now....
>

> "Rowdy Yates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns949987DF3C3BBrowdyyates2123@207.46.248.16. ..
> > okay, i may get flamed for this, but i swear i searched the ms site, and

> > can't find a step by step guide to setting up headless server.
> >
> > anyone got the link handy?
> >
> > basically what i need to know is, do i do a regular install first and

then
> > tweak it to boot headless or do i have to stick to headless install
> > procedure right from the get go.
> >

> > --
> > The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
> > Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.
> > ==============
> > I am Against-TCPA
> > http://www.againsttcpa.com
> > ==============

Sparky

OK...I have it correct now : )

http://tinyurl.com/2xe93

"Rowdy Yates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns949987DF3C3BBrowdyyates2123@207.46.248.16. ..
> okay, i may get flamed for this, but i swear i searched the ms site, and i
> can't find a step by step guide to setting up headless server.
>
> anyone got the link handy?
>
> basically what i need to know is, do i do a regular install first and then
> tweak it to boot headless or do i have to stick to headless install
> procedure right from the get go.
>

> --
> The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
> Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.
> ==============
> I am Against-TCPA
> http://www.againsttcpa.com
> ==============

Larry Samuels

Hi Rowdy,
You can go either way, but if you aren't familiar with pushing remote
installs it is simpler to temporarily plug in a kb,mouse,and
monitor--install server 2003 and set up remote admin,check the bios and tell
it to stop on no errors, unplug the peripherals, reboot and you are good to
go.
Simply RD into the machine for complete control.

PS--XP Pro handles headless as well as Server 2003. 4 of my workstations at
home are headless boxes.

Associate Expert
Unofficial FAQ for Windows Server 2003 at
http://pelos.us/SERVER.htm
"Rowdy Yates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns949987DF3C3BBrowdyyates2123@207.46.248.16. ..
> okay, i may get flamed for this, but i swear i searched the ms site, and i
> can't find a step by step guide to setting up headless server.
>
> anyone got the link handy?
>
> basically what i need to know is, do i do a regular install first and then
> tweak it to boot headless or do i have to stick to headless install
> procedure right from the get go.
>

> --
> The Champ comes out swinging every morning @ 9AM.
> Remove the "removethis" from email address to email me.
> I am Against-TCPA
> http://www.againsttcpa.com

Ken Briscoe

http://tinyurl.com/27nws