Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CMOS Checksum bad

CMOS Checksum bad

stuacoo@aol.com

Ok so i admit ive done something very wrong here. Hopefully someone
can shed some light on what to do next.

I used the AFUWIN utility to flash my bios to the latest version from
my motherboard website (ECS)

All appeared to go well until i restarted my computer. I am now
presented with the following error on boot

CMOS Checksum bad
CMOS date/time not set

I then proceeded to correct the date and time and save the changes,
then when the bios utility closes, the screen goes blank and nothing
happens.

So then powered off the PC, moved the CMOS jumper to clear for 30
seconds and switched back on only to be presented with the same
problem.

My Motherboard is ECS P4M890T-M
Processor P4 2.66D

Many Thanks

Stewart

meerkat

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ok so i admit ive done something very wrong here. Hopefully someone
> can shed some light on what to do next.
>
> I used the AFUWIN utility to flash my bios to the latest version from
> my motherboard website (ECS)
>
> All appeared to go well until i restarted my computer. I am now
> presented with the following error on boot
>
> CMOS Checksum bad
> CMOS date/time not set
>
> I then proceeded to correct the date and time and save the changes,
> then when the bios utility closes, the screen goes blank and nothing
> happens.
>
> So then powered off the PC, moved the CMOS jumper to clear for 30
> seconds and switched back on only to be presented with the same
> problem.
>
> My Motherboard is ECS P4M890T-M
> Processor P4 2.66D

Try again.
D/load page here.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Dow...nuID=6&LanID=8

Buffalo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ok so i admit ive done something very wrong here. Hopefully someone
> can shed some light on what to do next.
>
> I used the AFUWIN utility to flash my bios to the latest version from
> my motherboard website (ECS)
>
> All appeared to go well until i restarted my computer. I am now
> presented with the following error on boot
>
> CMOS Checksum bad
> CMOS date/time not set
>
> I then proceeded to correct the date and time and save the changes,
> then when the bios utility closes, the screen goes blank and nothing
> happens.
>
> So then powered off the PC, moved the CMOS jumper to clear for 30
> seconds and switched back on only to be presented with the same
> problem.
>
> My Motherboard is ECS P4M890T-M
> Processor P4 2.66D

> Many Thanks
>
> Stewart

Got this from the ECS forum:
http://forums.hexus.net/forumdisplay.php?f=84
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...1f5581&t=93943
"How to update BIOS (the secure way)....
Please follow below rules to securely update your BIOS.

Do not update the BIOS if:
1. memtst86+ fails. (http://www.memtest.org/)
2. You are not sure which PCB you have. Contact our support first.
3. You downloaded the BIOS from non ECS Elitegroup websites.
4. Windows is not stable.
5. Virus and Spyware protection software is loaded.
6. Computer is infected by Virus and/or Spyware.

How to update in DOS Mode
1. Create a bootable floppy disk (http://www.bootdisk.com).
2. Check floppy disk for bad sectors and replace the it if necessary.
3. Extract the BIOS file and the Flashutiliy to the floppy disk.
4. Boot from floppy disk to DOS prompt.
5. update the BIOS:

* AMI BIOS
type "amiflash biosname.rom /p /b /n /c"
* Phoenix AWARD BIOS
type "awardflash biosname.bin /Wb /cc /cp /cd"

6. Reboot the computer when finished
7. Enter the BIOS and load "Default/Optimized Settings"
8. Now safe and exit the BIOS.

You can also use USB memory stick or bootable CD.

How to update in WindowsXP/2000
coming soon.
ECS Elitegroup TSD

Perhaps you can go to their website and/or the forum I posted a link to and
receive some help.
You could also try posting in the ECS motherboard newsgroup:

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup

If you do post again, please state what OS you are using.

Here is another place to look:
http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...ight=bad+flash

Hopefully this will get you headed in the right direction.

Buffalo

Buffalo

This is from the link I posted earlier.
ie: http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...ight=bad+flash
" Jussi
ECS EU BV

Jussi's Avatar

The solution is posted above. The BIOS on websites are already replaced.
If you cannot get it to work again with above solution fill in the "Support
Form" here:
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Sup...uID=19&LanID=8

We will then provide another solution."

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ok so i admit ive done something very wrong here. Hopefully someone
> can shed some light on what to do next.
>
> I used the AFUWIN utility to flash my bios to the latest version from
> my motherboard website (ECS)
>
> All appeared to go well until i restarted my computer. I am now
> presented with the following error on boot
>
> CMOS Checksum bad
> CMOS date/time not set
>
> I then proceeded to correct the date and time and save the changes,
> then when the bios utility closes, the screen goes blank and nothing
> happens.
>
> So then powered off the PC, moved the CMOS jumper to clear for 30
> seconds and switched back on only to be presented with the same
> problem.
>
> My Motherboard is ECS P4M890T-M
> Processor P4 2.66D

> Many Thanks