Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Virus worms

Virus worms

B.W.

Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in Sys
Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial A/V
product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled the
commercial programme before installing the free one.

No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.

There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to
stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question
is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being transferred
over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since checked my desktop
with an online checker and advised it is clean. I have a Broadband Modem
and a separate Router.

I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
significant?

TIA

B.W.

BruceM

Pity you don't tell us the names of the programs?
I'm guessing Norton didn't find the virus?
I'd be pretty sure you had a virus but might not have been ACTIVE?
Next time give more details?

"B.W." <(E-Mail Removed) (del xxx)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
> Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in
> Sys Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial A/V
> product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled the
> commercial programme before installing the free one.
>
> No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
> quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.
>
> There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable
> to stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My
> question is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being
> transferred over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since checked
> my desktop with an online checker and advised it is clean. I have a
> Broadband Modem and a separate Router.
>
> I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
> significant?
>
> TIA
>
> B.W.

B.W.

The programme the virus was in was called Burn4Free, I don't even remember
downloading it and why, it must have been some time ago.
Yes it was Norton's that didn't detect anything, I also check for spyware
every week.

The reason I posted to this group however is that there was a warning saying
if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to stop the virus being passed
on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question is, as my network is
wireless is the threat of anything being transferred over as great or is it
exactly the same? In the future if I should be unfortunate again to get
another virus/worm is there a procedure to protect my other PC that I should
follow regarding this?

I am sorry if I can't explain very well but being new to networking I am not
sure of the terms or procedures etc. I am connected to my desktop via a
wired Broadband Modem to a phone line and a separate Router is connected to
it.

Thanks for all your help

B.W.

"BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pity you don't tell us the names of the programs?
> I'm guessing Norton didn't find the virus?
> I'd be pretty sure you had a virus but might not have been ACTIVE?
> Next time give more details?
>

> "B.W." <(E-Mail Removed) (del xxx)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Recently after installing a new free A/V programme I was told I had two
>> Win32:Trojan-gen virus worms. One in a downloaded programme and one in
>> Sys Vol Info\_restore. Having just used another well known commercial
>> A/V product and nothing showing up I wasn't too panicky. I uninstalled
>> the commercial programme before installing the free one.
>>
>> No being very computer technical literate and new to networking I
>> quarantined the virus worms, then removed the downloaded programme.
>>
>> There was a warning saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable
>> to stop the virus being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My
>> question is my network is wireless so is the threat of anything being
>> transferred over as great or is it exactly the same? I have since
>> checked my desktop with an online checker and advised it is clean. >>
>> I can't find any information on Symantec about these worms are they
>> significant?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> B.W.

B.W.

Thanks Jack, yes I have already done as you suggested, many thanks for the
link to the website, I will read it and probably print it for future
reference.

B.W.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> From a Network traffic perspective wire or wireless is the same.
> I do not know ant type of Network you have and what can pass on, these
> type of troubles are not uniform across all circumstances.
> Burn4Free is a Freeware CD burner. I think that it was one of those Adware
> type programs and thus triggered the Antivirus/Trojan application.
> Uninstall Burn4Free and run an Antispyware, and AntiVirus applications to
> clean it up.
> Hopefully that would resolve the issue.
> This page includes some info about Protection applications,
> http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "B.W." <(E-Mail Removed) (del xxx)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The programme the virus was in was called Burn4Free, I don't even
>> remember downloading it and why, it must have been some time ago.
>> Yes it was Norton's that didn't detect anything, I also check for spyware
>> every week.
>>
>> The reason I posted to this group however is that there was a warning
>> saying if I was on a network to disconnect the cable to stop the virus
>> being passed on I guess, (or wording similar) . My question is, as my
>> network is wireless is the threat of anything being transferred over as
>> great or is it exactly the same? In the future if I should be
>> unfortunate again to get another virus/worm is there a procedure to
>> protect my other PC that I should follow regarding this?
>>
>> I am sorry if I can't explain very well but being new to networking I am
>> not sure of the terms or procedures etc. I am connected to my desktop
>> via a wired Broadband Modem to a phone line and a separate Router is
>> connected to it.
>>
>> Thanks for all your help
>>
>> B.W.
>>

>> "BruceM" <bruce9950@@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Pity you don't tell us the names of the programs?
>>> I'm guessing Norton didn't find the virus?
>>> I'd be pretty sure you had a virus but might not have been ACTIVE?
>>> Next time give more details?
>>>

>>> "B.W." <(E-Mail Removed) (del xxx)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
From a Network traffic perspective wire or wireless is the same.